Them over there

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Them over there

Post by voodoo_simon »

I've noticed a bit of a divide between this forum and some of the bivi Facebook groups in the 'leave no trace' department.

I've not come across many posts here were people have had open fires burning at their camp but this year I've noticed a huge increases in posts on Facebook with open fires, some on the large size that would keep even elephants away :wink:

Not sure where this is going, I like a fire as much as the next person but why burn holes all over the countryside? Too much watching Ray and Bear perhaps?!

And don't get me started on disposable BBQs.... x(
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Them over there

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think I've made my thoughts on this fairly clear previously but for anyone who's unsure.

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... fires.html

The trouble is, people will always find a way to justify building one, but once they run out of reasoned argument they'll generally just shrug, accuse you of being a miserable tw*t and wonder off :roll:

EDIT: I should just add, I see the ability to 'leave no trace' as a skill. Just like erecting a tarp of navigating, it's something people should strive to get better at and be proud of their efforts.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

A well reasoned argument you put there and then you throw in the dog poo argument too....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A well reasoned argument you put there and then you throw in the dog poo argument too....
I like to give value for money :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You can lead a horse to water and all that. For those on Facebook and on here it's probably all that you can do to show them the "one true way" and keep reminding them that their actions are selfish and will cause problems in the future for those that follow, including themselves. Look at the camping ban in areas of the Loch Lomond National Park as an example - https://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com ... of-access/ (Neil's posts are well worth reading anyway).

I'll randomly scuff up the grass where we've been lying to further reduce any indication we've been there.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

When I got my copy of 'that' new book on bikepacking I straight away flicked through to the route in my area to see where he went and where he had his bivi. It was in the woods were all our local trails are, which is privately owned but the trails are tolerated. As soon as I read he 'got the fire going to warm up' I put the book down and haven't picked it up since. If you're cold put a jacket on or run about, not light a fire and jeopardise the access to woodland that probably a hundred riders rely on!

Back off my soap box for now. But I can see no need for a fire on a bivi trip. I like to sit round a fire drinking and taking rubbish as much as anyone but at the right location.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I could never be arsed lighting a fire when I pitch up somewhere - too much hassle and you end up smelling of smoke as well as all the other odours associated with bikepacking :???: As above - if you need to warm up put a jacket on and make a cuppa. And if I ever see anyone dropping a gel wrapper I'll make them eat it!
Ian

Post by Ian »

If you want to light a fire, take an mKettle. Lots of fun and it boils water too. And leaves no trace if sited sensibly :geek:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Open fire - no without permission

Lots of options for contained ones though - bushbuddy for example, or fold flat ones too (can't remember the name of the big Ti one I have)

More faff than meths though in many cases