Inbred 29er Owners. Happy with your lot?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Inbred 29er Owners. Happy with your lot?

Post by Ray Young »

Thought I'd ask what people think of their Inbred 29ers because I'm thinking of getting a frame to build up. On another thread I described a Shimano bb/shell problem which upon closer inspection turns out to be worse than I thought. The threads on the drive side of the bb shell are worn badly. I could get it re sleeved, threaded and faced but then I'd need to add in the cost of a new paint job as well. On One are doing Inbred 29er frames for £140 at the moment which I think will be considerably cheaper than a repair. As an added bonus the frame would be the right size for me as my Charge Cooker is a little big but I got it new for half price and I'd always wanted one. Secondly all the parts will be a straight swap and I have spare layback seat posts and stems in various lengths if I need them. Lastly the bb shell is 73 mm rather than 68 mm so I won't have to use plastic spacers again. The only downside I can see is that it may weigh a little more than the Cooker. Thanks.
ianfitz

Re: Inbred 29er Owners. Happy with your lot?

Post by ianfitz »

I had one, now have a T'inbred, which I love.

The steel inbred rode nice enough but it a very heavy beast. There are much nicer frames available. Although they are cheap I suppose
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I have a Mk2 ScandAl you have have when I get back from the Divide if you like. Won't be able to post it before I go I'm affraid. I think it's an 18? Straight steerer and so forth. Green if that matters.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've had mine for over 5 years Ray and it's probably still the bike I ride most often. Never found it that heavy (although it is heavier than many other bikes) but much will obviously depend on the bits you bolt to it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

GregMay wrote:I have a Mk2 ScandAl you have have when I get back from the Divide if you like. Won't be able to post it before I go I'm affraid. I think it's an 18? Straight steerer and so forth. Green if that matters.
Hi Greg, thanks for the offer, is it possible to check the size as 18 inch would be too big. Thanks.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I sold my swift and bought an SS one. It weighs about the same as anything steel that's not super exotic. Certainly rides as well as the Swift did.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I've had mine for over 5 years Ray and it's probably still the bike I ride most often. Never found it that heavy (although it is heavier than many other bikes) but much will obviously depend on the bits you bolt to it.
Got a few choice bits, Stans crests on Hope hubs, carbon fork and bars, lightweight seatpost, The rests a mix of Deore/SLX 2x9. I'd be happy under 30lb even happier at 28.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I learned they're the same steel as my KM the other day, so I can say that it's nice steel which rides nicely. I don't know the frame weight, but sub 30lbs should be easily achievable.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

26" here had it 3 years always ss brilliant bike cannot fault it. It's my only mtb :cool:
Trying to ride bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I ran one for a few years and did a tour of iceland on it. It rides nice but it has a steep head angle which made it a bit twitchy with a rigid fork and rear tyre clearance is pitiful - forget anything bigger than 2.1" if you want decent mud clearance. I take it a large is too big for you as you could take mine for a wee consideration...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Yes, large is deffo too big. I have very short legs for my height!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

No worries Ray - for info mine was £120 so £140 isn't than much of a bargain. Could you stretch to a cotic Solaris or Surly KM as these are far nicer frames, albeit at more than twice the price
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Money is an issue but i'm having a good look at whats out there.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I've had a slot drop out 29er for a few years had a 456 Frame and still have a 26"" wheeled inbred on the go. As said above the rear wheel clearance is an issue for bigger tyres but it is a workhorse of a frame. No problems with any on one frame I've ever had. Not the lightest but pretty robust and will take plenty of abuse. I've retired mine to the loft along with a Gary fisher ferrous. Bothe are large frames which you would be welcome to but sounds like they will be too big for your needs. Happy hunting.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks for that Mike but as you say, too big for me.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Not inbred related, but I think you'll still need a spacer with a 73mm bb, just one on the drive side? The spacers are 2.5mm each so the missing 2 will be the 5mm difference. If anyone has fitted a hope bb the spacers are ally and you get 3 so other 73mm shells will only use one. Afraid I've used all of mine on my bikes or I'd send you one.

Edit. Actually other manufacturers use metal spacers as well and I've got a box full of dead bb's so I'll have a rummage at the weekend when I'm next at my workshop and see what I can find.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I've had a 29 Inbred for a few months built up to commute - 26 Inbreds I've had have been great but the 29er is shorter in the top tube and doesnt feel right - I need to try a layback seat post but it just not as good a fit as the 26ers I've had
Al

Post by Al »

Ive got a 29 slot drop inbred built up for bike packing with an exotic carbon fork. Did the WRT on it this year. Not super light or super heavy for that matter. Gets used loads, I'd say they're a bargain for what they cost. Wouldn't get the slot drop out again though, as rear wheel removal usually ends in lots of swearing.
Had a 26" single speed one (original frame with v brakes!) and loved that too.

With regard to top tube length - mines an 18" and I'm 6'1" and long in the torso. I run a Thomson layback post and 90mm stem and that seems to work well.
paramart

Post by paramart »

had 26 and 29 versions good cheap frames, went to scandals more harsh than the steel ones, as steve said I preferred the 26 over the 29 just felt better, imo in ss version it destroyed the 29er
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I like my 29er Inbred BUT as the other posters have said, the ONLY problem is its rear tyre clearance not being up to more fashionable sizes. I can get a 2.2 in there but that as big as it gets.

You have too look at it for what it is (and has always been) a CHEAP steel bike frame, that is generally made well and to a price. For bikepacking its been perfect for my longer rides (like the WRT) when I am not on the fat bike. Never twitchy (with the correct stem length), robust is an understatement, comfortable and good looking in orange :wink: What more could you want for around £150?

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ray - it's an 18 sorry!

FWIW - my 26er Inbred, currently in storage in Irl, is a bloody ace bike.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

GregMay wrote:Ray - it's an 18 sorry!

FWIW - my 26er Inbred, currently in storage in Irl, is a bloody ace bike.
OK Greg, thanks anyway.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ray, with regard to the 29er being shorter in the TT ... I've had a few 26" Inbreds and they all felt too long, the reduction in length on the 29er feels just right for folk of our stature :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks for all the input people, it's looking like I'll be going the inbred route. A repair is looking too expensive and I can't see an inbred frame weighing much more than my cooker frame.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I had a 29er SS Inbred and it was great. Very similar to the Swift I have now in terms of ride/handling/comfort/weight. As others have said, tyre clearance was my only (minor) niggle. I paid £99, which I consider the biggest bargain of my biking life.