Welsh Ride Thing 2012

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chris n

Re: Welsh Ride Thing 2012

Post by chris n »

griffdowg wrote: what bike you taking Chris?
Cotic Roadrat. I was going to use Bontrager XRs (46mm) but there's not enough clearance if it's mucky.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

restlessnative wrote:
flatfishy wrote:Crossmark Rear and Ardent Front

What sizes? coz they are very different beasts (I have all of them)

Crossmark = 2.1
Ardent = 2.25
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

chris n wrote:
griffdowg wrote: what bike you taking Chris?
Cotic Roadrat. I was going to use Bontrager XRs (46mm) but there's not enough clearance if it's mucky.
Yay! Another 700c ;)

I couldn't find any 1.8 Jones cheap enough so I went with 40c Smart Sams. Was tempted by 45c but they measure in at 47 which probably wouldn't fit my Salsa Vaya.

G
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Apologies for changing the subject a bit...

The pre-ride weigh off...is that with food + water on board, or without? I'm geeking out with my spreadsheet again :twisted:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The pre-ride weigh off...is that with food + water on board, or without? I'm geeking out with my spreadsheet again
Flatfishy's in charge ... I think he said it's including whatever you're planning on leaving the start line with, he also said something about, no stashing of food and water down the lane to be collected later ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
chris n

Post by chris n »

griffdowg wrote: Yay! Another 700c ;)
Yes, this one's definitely not a 29er.
griffdowg wrote: I couldn't find any 1.8 Jones cheap enough so I went with 40c Smart Sams. Was tempted by 45c but they measure in at 47 which probably wouldn't fit my Salsa Vaya.
G
Got my Joneses S/H from Sam at Singular a few years ago for a tenner each I think - not used them much. There's about 3mm clearance at the chainstays, though there's loads of space everywhere else.

Looked at the 40c Smart Sams, but the SB8s are 200g lighter each. :D
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

s8tannorm wrote:
The pre-ride weigh off...is that with food + water on board, or without? I'm geeking out with my spreadsheet again
Flatfishy's in charge ... I think he said it's including whatever you're planning on leaving the start line with, he also said something about, no stashing of food and water down the lane to be collected later ;)
Cheers. That'll be Evian in my bottles at the start then. At that price it's gotta be lighter than tap water right? :mrgreen:
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

chris n wrote:Looked at the 40c Smart Sams, but the SB8s are 200g lighter each. :D
Yes but lower volume like the maxxis Mudwrestlers (35) Im running about on now (340g?). I used these on the M&B but wanted something a little bigger for the WRT.

are small blocks going to be grippy enough when you find mud?

G
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

think i'll go for the crossmarks front and rear (2.25/2.1) then

have a 2.25 ardent but never been convinced its any better than the 2.25 crossmark (which is much grippier than the 2.1 crossmark)

So are we allowed to wear all our layers of riding clothes for the weigh in so they aren't packed, then stop round the corner and take a few off :lol:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Is there a prize for heaviest bike/setup? :oops:
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

restlessnative wrote:So are we allowed to wear all our layers of riding clothes for the weigh in so they aren't packed, then stop round the corner and take a few off :lol:
Im going to wear my bivi bag :?

G
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

griffdowg wrote:
restlessnative wrote:So are we allowed to wear all our layers of riding clothes for the weigh in so they aren't packed, then stop round the corner and take a few off :lol:
Im going to wear my bivi bag :?

G
Are you cutting arm and head holes in?
If so thats fine. :twisted:

From a different thread,
flatfishy wrote:Weights at the weigh in are to include everything that you'll be riding out the field gate with. i.e. bike, bags, contents and helmet.

No stashing food and water down the hill.

You have been warned. ;)

Dan_K wrote:Is there a prize for heaviest bike/setup? :oops:
Don't worry you've got quite a way to go before you beat last years beast of burden.
I seem to recall it was 128lbs!!!!!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Can I wear my tarp as a cape? This would then qualify me to wear my spare underwear on the outside of my shorts.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Dan_K wrote:Can I wear my tarp as a cape? This would then qualify me to wear my spare underwear on the outside of my shorts.
If you want to wear your underwear on the outside of your pants thats fine but you have to ride out the gate like that!
I'll look forward to laughing and pointing at the village idiot. :lol:

Ah, hang on, it's Wales, you probably won't be the only one. :shock:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

flatfishy wrote:
Dan_K wrote:Can I wear my tarp as a cape? This would then qualify me to wear my spare underwear on the outside of my shorts.
If you want to wear your underwear on the outside of your pants thats fine but you have to ride out the gate like that!
I'll look forward to laughing and pointing at the village idiot. :lol:

Ah, hang on, it's Wales, you probably won't be the only one. :shock:
I could probably just tell them that i'm from London and this is how all the cool people roll.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

My wife just called me a nerd coz she found my spreadsheet of my packlist bit harsh I thought :geek:
chris n

Post by chris n »

griffdowg wrote: are small blocks going to be grippy enough when you find mud?
Probably not, I've not ridden them yet. I'm used to Crossmarks on my inbred, so should be ok...
Ian

Post by Ian »

flatfishy wrote:If you want to wear your underwear on the outside of your pants thats fine but you have to ride out the gate like that!
Says he who wears down trousers ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

pedalhead wrote:That'll be Evian in my bottles at the start then. At that price it's gotta be lighter than tap water right?
You want Highland Spring sparkling water - the air bubbles will add a small amount of upwards lift, thus making the bike feel lighter :mrgreen:
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Ian wrote:
pedalhead wrote:That'll be Evian in my bottles at the start then. At that price it's gotta be lighter than tap water right?
You want Highland Spring sparkling water - the air bubbles will add a small amount of upwards lift, thus making the bike feel lighter :mrgreen:
ha! and surely all those air bubbles are lighter than the water they've displaced! :mrgreen:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Ian wrote:
flatfishy wrote:If you want to wear your underwear on the outside of your pants thats fine but you have to ride out the gate like that!
Says he who wears down trousers ;)
Summers coming so I suspect the down pants will be hidden out of view of the wife 'til winter again :P
Are you going to wear your boxers and leg warmers for the start then Ian?
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

We had a very enjoyable route planning/beer/curry session last night. Have come up with a tough but achievable (I think!) route of 115 miles and 20,000ft of climbing, split 30,4000/50,10000/35,6500. Our recent Berwyns bikepacking trip has definitely given us a bit of useful local knowledge for that bit in the clouds up there which is just as well as day 2 is going to be a tough one. Possible bailouts & shortcuts were also discussed of course. Can't wait! :mrgreen:
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

16 Checkpoints, 94 miles, done.
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/W ... /long.html

weather isn't looking to 'hot' :?

G
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

after freezing my arse off in sub zero temps on Saturday night with my summer bag I decided I was taking the winter bag to Wales...no we are having a heat wave and I think I will boil if I do that! I will be the guy at the start line with 2 sleeping bags flipping a coin trying to choose I think