2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Post by Alpinum »

Just a little less than one week to go.

Just found four cracks in the chainstays of my bike :shock:
So... can I get it fixed (get lbs to swap rear triangle of a new bike) or will I have to take the single speed steel iron horse...

A friend had the idea to just have a one way ticket for my bike... he was right :|
Two days ago I also smashed the rear wheel I wasn't going to take :roll:

Besides the cracked frame, the bike is ready :-bd
Some fancy food is on its way (high calorie stuff), fabric for frame bag ready to be sewn, a few little things here and there like getting the GPS ready and all's good.
My back is hurting, but for the kind of pain I'm in right now riding helps to relieve it.
Summing things up I don't really seem to be ready (I'm flying to Edinburgh on Thursday morning), but I feel I am. That's the main thing :smile:

Anybody else ready?

p.s.: Single speeding HT550, 32/18?
Chicken Legs

Re: 2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Post by Chicken Legs »

On the plus side you found the cracks in your frame now rather than this time next week :-bd
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Chicken Legs wrote:On the plus side you found the cracks in your frame now rather than this time next week :-bd
Exactly. There's a fair chance to have it fixed :-bd

I'll be in Tyndrum on Friday. You too?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bummer on the frame :sad:

32/19 if you're single speeding.

Or you could take the fat bike :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:Bummer on the frame :sad:

32/19 if you're single speeding.

Or you could take the fat bike :-bd
Not the first one, but it's been a while since the last and was a different situation.

In 2014 you were in a very similar situation right?

I'd rather take the single speeder than the fat bike for a summer HT550.

Been running on the 16t cog but also have a 18t cog. Better get the latter eady just in case...

Tyndrum, Friday? Some pints to calm the nerves? :wink:
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Alpinum wrote:

I'll be in Tyndrum on Friday. You too?
Yep, should be there about lunch time with one of our USA visitors :-bd
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mine seems to be behaving it's self, has just gone to 18 bikes for a last minute fettle. I'm going to stick a new back tyre on but hopefully that's it!

I'm picking Eric and Jill up from Canada (well near Glasgow airport actually!) on friday late morning then I'll be at the by the way campsite. White T4 camper KM03.

Beer sounds good!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Do you want to borrow a frame? I've got a medium Salsa El Mariachi that you can use - I'm in Edinburgh so hopefully en route to Tyndrum
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

AlasdairMc wrote:Do you want to borrow a frame? I've got a medium Salsa El Mariachi that you can use - I'm in Edinburgh so hopefully en route to Tyndrum
Cheers Alasdair. I've got another bike I could take. Just rigid vs. full sussed, one gear vs. 10. But still quite a good option as I'm comfy on it. Funnily, I rode the single speeder to spare the bike that's has cracks.... didn't quite work out. Down to the garage to sand the paint down and see what's underneath.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Alpinum wrote:

Last year ss 32/18 on 650b wheels. This year 30/18 same bike with forks instead of very dodgy rigids. Rear wheel upgraded the hub and no dynamo this time.

Rode the start until F. Augustus a few days ago and took me nearly 1 hour more than last year.
It could be that is harder than last year, or the very low pressure or the fitness isn't as good as last year to my surprise. Or a combination of some.
Already adapting plans for first day.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I was gonna say 32:20 on 29" for this.
It could be that is harder than last year, or the very low pressure or the fitness isn't as good as last year to my surprise
You went off quickly last year though Javi
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Javi wrote:
Alpinum wrote:

Last year ss 32/18 on 650b wheels. This year 30/18 same bike with forks instead of very dodgy rigids. Rear wheel upgraded the hub and no dynamo this time.

Rode the start until F. Augustus a few days ago and took me nearly 1 hour more than last year.
It could be that is harder than last year, or the very low pressure or the fitness isn't as good as last year to my surprise. Or a combination of some.
Already adapting plans for first day.
Interesting choices. Ja, my ssp is 29" as is my geared susser. Sanded down the paint and still see the cracks in the welds.

T'is a long way to Ft. Augustus... hoping to make it too.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm expecting the route to Fort A to be harder than last year; Huw took 12 hours to the top of the Corrieyarrick, and went on to do a solid ITT time. To me that gives every indication as to its perceived difficulty.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:I'm expecting the route to Fort A to be harder than last year; Huw took 12 hours to the top of the Corrieyarrick, and went on to do a solid ITT time. To me that gives every indication as to its perceived difficulty.

I've ridden the new southern loop and don't expect to be in FA in time for pizza on Saturday. either 12 or 10 inch...
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Wise words from the two Ian's about the first part of the new route ... although there was a guy recently on here who did a detailed report of the first 70 miles and reported it very rideable apart from a couple of miles sth of Ben Alder Cottage and "somebody" said he could drive his car around the track on the north side of Loch Lyon. In any case, proceeding cautiously with time estimates is certainly sensible!!!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ianfitz wrote:
Ian wrote:I'm expecting the route to Fort A to be harder than last year; Huw took 12 hours to the top of the Corrieyarrick, and went on to do a solid ITT time. To me that gives every indication as to its perceived difficulty.

I've ridden the new southern loop and don't expect to be in FA in time for pizza on Saturday. either 12 or 10 inch...

Ride faster.

(says the man who won't be there so ignore me)
Karl

Post by Karl »

It's what I'm gonna do Greg. When there's food involved nothing can get in my way....apart from the 1st 100 miles of the highland trail.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

This thing is in danger of becoming "the great pizza race" if we are not careful X-)
padonbike wrote:there was a guy recently on here who did a detailed report of the first 70 miles and reported it very rideable apart from a couple of miles sth of Ben Alder Cottage
'Twas me, here.

The route till the tarmac at Laggan last weekend took me 10 hours, with 1 1/2 hours of stoppage, at cruising speed, taking over 400 photos. It took me 10:40 to the road in 2014, and I was trying to make time then. A committed fast rider could do a great time on this new section IMHO. But time will tell!
Alpinum wrote:Anybody else ready?
I came down with a fever last Wednesday, wiping me out till today, but I am still recovering. At least that stopped me having to decide when exactly to start my taper. Just need to get reasonably well again by next Saturday. I will turn over the cranks a little this week, but that is the end of the training.

Bike serviced today. New drivetrain. I was pissing about regreasing my BB bearings, when I thought to myself "what the &*£$ am I doing? I have brand new ceramic bearings somewhere". So I spent an hour looking for them and installing.

I have run my bike as a rigid for a lot of long training rides, and really enjoyed it. However, I started to get pain in the soles of my feet since my Capital Trail ITT. Now, I can feel my toes a little numb even after being off the bike for a week. Due to this, I thought the sensible decision would be to swap to the suspension forks, I need to do everything to avoid injury stopping me. So I did that a couple of hours ago. I was disappointed as I loved the rigid forks; their simplicity, directness, and especially the loss of 1kg off of the front of the bike! However, the bike is still light at 9kg unloaded, and I'll be able to go a little faster on some of the rough descents.

Still a lot of last minute decisions and messing about to do. Can't believe it is almost upon us.

Weather looks like it is gonna be hot and damp, at least at the start!
Last edited by Nikk on Sun May 22, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd thought the new route would be quicker - apart from one 2k bit of boggy path and one 2k bit of slightly boggy track its all on good surfaces and there is 200m less climbing. No horrible HAB climb up the devils staircase, no slow rocky descent down to KLL followed by a massive climb on a loose rocky track and no 5k bog rock and tussock fest down the Abhain rath. Huw had a headwind all day on his first day and last year we had a mega tailwind for all but the corrieairack. Yous'll get to the pizza shop nae bother on day 1! Plus you should also catch the cafe at Lagan wolftrax.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nikk wrote:This thing is in danger of becoming "the great pizza race" if we are not careful X-)
That is partially how I remember 2013. And most any other multi day ride. A race to find pizza.

Not going to be hard in the USA I suspect :)
Ian

Post by Ian »

apart from one 2k bit of boggy path and one 2k bit of slightly boggy track its all on good surfaces
Sounds not unlike a trip over the Welsh Carnau. Easier on a fat bike though :|
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Came to think of midges.

Anyone else who's not going to take a head net?

I like to think it's a smart thing. If there are are midges, I'll have to shorten my stops = more riding/movement :-bd

Next to the bike bothering me a bit, I've developed a cold (but no fever) :|
Gosh I'm looking forward to getting everything out of my way and start biking...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/
Our wee pals are back for another year - pack your smidge. Incidentally Torridon / Kinlochewe / Loch Maree are known midge hell holes...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Alpinum wrote:Came to think of midges.

Anyone else who's not going to take a head net?

I like to think it's a smart thing. If there are are midges, I'll have to shorten my stops = more riding/movement :-bd

Next to the bike bothering me a bit, I've developed a cold (but no fever) :|
Gosh I'm looking forward to getting everything out of my way and start biking...
Eeerrrr, no chance! They can fly faster than hike-a-bike speeds so for that reason I'm out.

:-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yes, defo take a headnet. I tend to keep mine accessible at all times (and in the same small zip bag as my Smidge)