Talk to me about B+

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Brothersmith

Re: Talk to me about B+

Post by Brothersmith »

Having ridden 29+ and more rescently b+ I would agee with all the above. I found 29+ to be a bit more controlled and have more of a steam roller effect on rocky descents (like going from 26" to 29" wheels). However the b+ I have is a 3.25 which has a much larger volume, which might account for it getting a bit of a handful. This means I have to back off on descents for exactly the reason you describe. However I run rigid forks and I think the bigger tyres are allowing me to hit descents a lot faster than I would do on my rigid 29er, so things get out of control a lot quicker. If I slow it down it always seems to come back under control.

What tyre and rim combo did you plump for in the end?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Brothersmith wrote:What tyre and rim combo did you plump for in the end?
The Alpkit Rumpus wheels and WTB Bridger 3.0" for the front and WTB Trailblazer 2.8" for the rear.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It seems that Alpkit are extending their biking component range again - https://www.alpkit.com/featured/tyres-and-tubes Not a bad price - I paid £45 a couple of weeks ago for the Bridger from one of the German bike retailers
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Whitestone - you're on a Solaris aren't you? What forks? You'll not get the Bridger in 'standard' RS forks.
Having ridden both for a few months, I prefer 650+ on proper off road, especially rocky stuff, but 29 on forest roads/tarmac. I don't know about science/stats, I'm just going off how much vaguely exciting it makes me feel as I bumble along averagely. Bikepacking deffo best on the chubby wheels. Solaris and RS Revs.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It seems that Alpkit are extending their biking component range again - https://www.alpkit.com/featured/tyres-and-tubes Not a bad price - I paid £45 a couple of weeks ago for the Bridger from one of the German bike retailers
Odd - tubeless ready wheels, tubeless ready tyres but no tubeless valves or sealant, only inner tubes :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Odd - tubeless ready wheels, tubeless ready tyres but no tubeless valves or sealant, only inner tubes :???:
Backup strategy :???:

Boxelder: yes, on a Solaris but with X-Fusion Slide forks - there's just enough room for the Bridger - talking about 2-3mm gap at the narrowest part at the seal where the two parts of the fork meet. This is likely due to the rims being closer to the hub (obviously given the difference in size) so although the outside diameter of the whole combo is very similar to a "standard" 29er, inwards of that there's a bit of hoping that things fit. Possible that fork manufacturers will come up with a form that will work with both wheel/tyre combinations. Until then it seems to be a case of either trying things yourself or doing ever more specific searches.

For "touring" style bikepacking then I'd agree with using the chubby wheels, for "racing" (which for me is defined as going a little bit faster than touring :oops: ) then the 29er are probably better.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Firstly a Hello (this is my first post....). Some of you might be aware of me from 'over there' from whence whitestone directed me to here in the first place.

I'm currently running a (med Mk I) Solaris and have recently acquired a Cotic 650B+ Wheelset (evo II w/ WTB ASYMi35(F)/i29(R) rims). I'm liking them but with a Nobby Nic 2.8" tyre on the front it's rubbing a groove in my Reba's.

I'm looking at 3 options:

1) new tyre: Needs to be decent tread for the front. Happy with the NN in this respect. Riding loose, stoney trails a la Glen Tanar (specifically, where I ride most at present)/Cairngorms. Any suggestions/recommendations? Also where to buy would help too...

2) new forks: I've a set of Revs to try but not much clearance over the Reba's. Not had a chance fit/try them out as I've been tied up with shepparding ageing parents. I'd ideally like to run up to 3.0" but fast coming to realisation that in order to do this boost is going to be required. Not sure I can convert hope evo II 100 to 110.... Options/opinions?

3) new frameset: I'm not ready to bin the 29ers and would like to build a bikepacking orientated bike with my existing wheels... Had a look at the Genesis Longitude but the 110 boost front on the fork could put a spanner in that particular works. I've fondled ScotRoutes Pact Battlecat (very nice!) but spending that much cash without going boost also seems short sighted (and that's going to be v expensive!). I like steel. I've eyed up the new Stanton Sherpa, what else to consider?

Also, if I went option 3 where do you get wheel sets from? And rough cost?
Give the dirt a little room.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also, if I went option 3 where do you get wheel sets from? And rough cost?
Alpkit, £200.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Thank SR.

A quick google and it would appear that the spacer goes on the non disc side (which means no caliper spacer) butwhich means a re-jig (re-build?) of the rim to centre it in the fork.... It's getting complicated and adding expense.

I fear I'm going to have to email you again... :oops:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-Adapt ... 2191498198

2 x 2.5mm adapters - one at each end of the hub caps, so the wheel is still centered.
2.5mm rotor spacer and longer rotor bolts - to put the rotor in the right place for the caliper
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Good write up SR, well, I enjoyed it....

And it's good to know that it wasn't my mind playing tricks over the name (not being able to find it on Pact),

Didn't realise the forks were Reba's, I kinda assumed they were Revs....
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Plans are beginning to take shape.

Anybody care to recommend a 3.0" tyre combo?

Thinking Nobby Nic up front and either that or Fat Albert on the back.

Anybody tried the Bridger or the new one (Ranger?) yet.

(Probably on a Reba Boost 120 fork)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm still happy with the 3.0" NN up front. I've gotten rather used to the FBNs waywardness on the rear, it's light and reasonably fast rolling. I'd be interested to hear feedback on the Bridger and Ranger though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I should have some feedback on the Bridger after the weekend.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Yeah SR, I'd like something faster rolling on rear (clime my HR/Ardent 29er set up). You happy with the Reba too?

Definitely all ears for after the weekend on the Bridger!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've been using the Bridger 3.0" on the front for a while now. Have done about 400Km on the B+ tyres. Currently writing up my thoughts.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Just ordered a set of rumpus wheels from alpkit and a pair of 2.8 nobby nics from Charlie the bike monger (reduced to £37 each).

Just hoping they'll fit so my new bandit 29r becomes a fat bandit...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As promised here's a blog on my thoughts (so far) on B+ wheels/tyres http://bobwightman.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... tyres.html

Summary: they have their place. They aren't suitable for every occasion/ride but depending on where and what you ride they can be very good. Tyre pressure is key - get it wrong and you won't get the benefits of the extra volume. If your frame can take them they are a cheap way of reconfiguring your bike.
Solo

Post by Solo »

whitestone wrote:As promised here's a blog on my thoughts (so far) on B+ wheels/tyres http://bobwightman.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... tyres.html

Summary: they have their place. They aren't suitable for every occasion/ride but depending on where and what you ride they can be very good. Tyre pressure is key - get it wrong and you won't get the benefits of the extra volume. If your frame can take them they are a cheap way of reconfiguring your bike.

Excellent overview. Really enjoyed that.

As a fellow Solaris owner it made particularly interesting reading to me. I had toyed with the possibility of this route, but ended up getting a fatbike instead. Partly as it was an N+1 call that I'd been trying to ignore for years but it wouldn't go away and partly because the new bike was offered as a 20th wedding anniversary gift.

Just goes to show, whatever route you take, bikes are cool :-bd :cool:
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I should have some feedback on the Bridger after the weekend.
any update on the above statement yet Stu? :-bd
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

If anybody fancies trying 27.5+ I'm selling my Cannondale - http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=9&t=8107
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

any update on the above statement yet Stu?
Ooh yes Tony, sorry I forgot to come back.

Okay, I spent the weekend coaching with a Bridger up front and a Trailblazer bringing up the rear. Weather conditions were very mixed but included lots of rain. Trail conditions were even more varied and contained everything from wet grass to muddy roots to gravel. The Bridger worked very well, pressure was set @ 10psi on a Scraper rim - there was no noticable squirm or 'rolling' even when landing jumps then immediately leaning hard into a corner. Straightline braking grip was fine as was cornering grip, the only time I felt the tyre lose traction was when crossing a root strewn, slightly off-camber muddy banking ... I could feel the front break free as it hit the roots but as soon as it was clear it gripped again straightaway (you can't ask for more can ya?).

It makes a great front tyre, not sure I'd want one on the back due to weight / drag when compared to a Trailblazer ... but I know there's a lot of people who would take a hit on weight / drag over the Trailblazer for the added 'security' of the Bridger. A Bridger front and Trailboss rear would be a nice set-up for anyone wanting 3" on both ends :wink:
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

cheers Stu, you can't beat real world reviews off someone who knows wtf they are talking about .... or You even :wink: