How does it look, what would you recommend?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Naffa

How does it look, what would you recommend?

Post by Naffa »

Hi all its not my first post here but tomorrow I'll be doing my first bikepacking trip tomorrow in preparation for a bigger trip in June.
So Ive loaded my bike with more or less everything I can tonight but I wanted to ask you for your opinions on what improvements I could make. Ive taken a couple of pics for you to look at and comment on please.

Thanks Nathan

voodoo_simon

Re: How does it look, what would you recommend?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Check the lowness of your bar bag, if it's too low you'll get tyre buzz on your bag. A quick ride up and down a kerb should tell you.

Not sure I would want that second bag on the bar but I don't know how heavy/what's stored I it. Other than that, looks good to me, enjoy your night out :-bd
Tam

Post by Tam »

You might want to put some duct tape where you have the strap running around behind the headtube to stop it rubbing.

Have fun! :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Try not to have too much weight in the front, it makes lifting the front wheel hard work. Hard to tell what the weight distribution is like from photos, I wouldn't have the second bag on the front, not sure what you are intending to put in the saddlebag given it's currently left open.

Give it a go and see how it feels to you, only you know what will work for you. It's a constant learning process, you'll rarely get it completely right but you'll know when you get it wrong.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Does that harness have some form of stiffener in it? In which case is it not upside down?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd rather wear a small rucksack than have all that baggage on the front.

As above - make sure your front wheel doesn't buzz the bottom of that bag/harness on compression. Setting the forks firmer or locking them out might help, as might packing the green bag longer and thinner (though you might be constrained by the type of bag you are using).

Don't come off forward into that water bottle!!

And don't expect to get everything right first time. You're doing the correct thing by starting small and you can then tune it a bit.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

How come I can't see anything?
Naffa

Post by Naffa »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The front houses my sleeping bag and mat in the 20l lower bag and tent in the upper 10l bag. I'm thinking of trying to pack it all into a 30l bag. Good idea or bad?
The frame bag contains tent poles and pegs, tools, cooking equipment etc.
The rear bag will contain food and clothes.
As for the harness having a stiffener I think it does. It's made by 3 trees and I'm really not sure whether I've fitted it right or not?

Thanks Nathan
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How come I can't see anything?
You're not alone :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm thinking of trying to pack it all into a 30l bag. Good idea or bad?
I can't see the pictures but I'd say anymore than 20L up front is really too much. Sounds like you could ideally do with ditching something. A smaller sleeping bag or shelter would be the first suggestions but doing either obviously costs money ... is it possible to use to use the tent in 'fly only' mode or if the forecast's good, perhaps forego it altogether?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Naffa

Post by Naffa »

Thanks for all the replys everyone. Im not sure what's happening with the pictures they were there when I submitted the post.
Anyway I repacked to lghten up the front end so in the harness was just my sleeping bag and sim. My mini kettle sat on top of the harness.
My frame bag held the gas burner, plate, cup, cutlery, bike tools etc. The rear seat pack held the tent and additional clothing.
It all seemed secure and balanced although I was surprised by how quickly the weight adds up. Ive taken a few pics and when I get time later ill use the appropriate forum to tell the story of my 1st ever bikepacking adventure
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Throw plate and kettle away for a start.

Eat from what ever your cooking in if your just doing boil in bag- throw cup away and get a ti or stainless one you can heat water in as well.

Eat your food from packet,