Riding in Dorset - Route advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ir_bandito

Riding in Dorset - Route advice

Post by ir_bandito »

I'm in Dorset with the family for May half-term in a few weeks. Staying just west of Bridport. The OS map shows a good selection of bridleways and byways (and a shed load of contour lines).
Planning on taking the Krampus with me to get out for an hour or two when opportunity arises and ideally get out for an all-dayer. Also likely to get some family rides in with the missus and jr_banditos #1 & 2 on their Islabikes/tagalong.

So, where's good to ride? Whats the attitude to cheeky riding like down there? I'm blessed being near enough to Scotland that on the whole, there's no-one around and when they are, they don't mind bikes.

Any good routes that I don't need to drive to?

Asked the same question on STW and the Gravel Dash was mentioned. I'm driving down from Northumberland on 27th after work, wedding on 28th (which is why we're down there) don't fancy the gravel dash the day after.
Si

Re: Riding in Dorset - Route advice

Post by Si »

Contact Charlie The Bikemonger they are not far along the coast and probably can suggest some routes
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I'm not that knowledgeable on that part of the world (East Dorset based) but would be up for meeting for a ride to get more miles/hills under my belt.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I've done a bit of riding down that way. There's good stuff around Swanage where CharlieTBM is based ( make sure you visit the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers). There's also easily found techy singletrack in Puddletown Forest. And the really good news is that, unlike Wales and Scotland, a track or bridleway on an OS map is very likely to exist and be rideable.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Hi I live in Bridport, and I would be more than happy to show you some nice rides on your maps, There are some good bits but as already mentioned the bridleways are best ridden on a horse!
PM me if you would like a chat,.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Just back from a few days in Dorset as Jurassic Pusher said, some bridleways are best for horses or walkers. Hilly, muddy, and there's almost nobody around. Great fun even if it's a helluva slog at times. Haven't looked at the numbers yet, but I'd guess in the region of 80 miles, with about 10 of those on single track, and about 3 or 4 miles on the road, possibly less. A lot of fields; ploughed and muddy. It was our second attempt at riding from Salisbury to Lyme Regis and the route this time was better chosen and more beautiful than last time. I've decided hailstones are horrible when riding downhill. They sting like a bee.

I did mention mud.

Mike

Post by Mike »

the gravel dash route is a good one if uv time for an over nighter!