Accessing BB forum on mobiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

larsmars

Accessing BB forum on mobiles

Post by larsmars »

Hey all,

I searched the forum and didn't spot this topic. Does anyone know a good mobile app with push notifications for accessing the BB forum? I've used Tapatalk and Forum Runner in the past, but I guess these need to be configured by the BB admin / Mr BB?

I think it can be setup to work with Tapatalk here:
https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/landing/register

Any other suggestions?

L
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Accessing BB forum on mobiles

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

To be honest Lars ... I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Does the forum not work on a mobile? Works okay on my touch.
May the bridges you burn light your way
touch

Post by touch »

It works on a browser on mobile (which is how i use it) but i guess if you have a forum app with push notifications you can get alerts and subscribe to threads and things?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:To be honest Lars ... I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Does the forum not work on a mobile? Works okay on my touch.
The forum works OK on mobile but push notifications are different, basically they are a way of being notified "in an app" of updates to threads on the forum. If you have an interest in the WRT for example then in the app you list "WRT" as of interest then any thread that is tagged with "WRT" that is updated will cause an email to be sent to the app. Here's what Forum Runner say about it http://www.forumrunner.net/?p=push
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

whitestone wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:To be honest Lars ... I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Does the forum not work on a mobile? Works okay on my touch.
The forum works OK on mobile but push notifications are different, basically they are a way of being notified "in an app" of updates to threads on the forum. If you have an interest in the WRT for example then in the app you list "WRT" as of interest then any thread that is tagged with "WRT" that is updated will cause an email to be sent to the app.
Yep, this is what I was thinking about.

Stu - If you like, I would volunteer to have a go at setting it up with Tapatalk. Or if someone else normally handles your web admin, they could probably do this faster than me. I believe the basic service is free, but requires installation of a plugin for phpBB as described here.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Use the 'Subscibe' button at the bottom of the thread.

You'll get an email every time there's an reply :geek:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Chew wrote:Use the 'Subscibe' button at the bottom of the thread.

You'll get an email every time there's an reply :geek:
Push notifications are slightly more sophisticated than that, if a thread is popular and has lots of replies then you'll get an email for each of those whereas with PN you can set it so that you only get an email every x hours or similar so you open the app and it displays "These threads have been updated" or something like that. As I indicated above you can filter on tags so you don't have to subscribe to each thread about a subject only "listen" for that subject. This means that if multiple threads start about a subject but the thread title isn't obviously about it then you'll get notified when that changes (or even gets created) as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I just use it on my browser, and check in to see what's new myself, in fact this is one of the best forums I'm in for mobiles as quite a few forget to switch to mobile version or just aren't user friendly at all.

Though my smartphone is pretty much my computer now, I scrapped my PCs and laptops a few years ago when I realised I don't use them anymore.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I mostly use the forum via mobile too. Works well for me, I wouldn't use any notifications personally as can't be bothered. But don't let that stop you doing it though
Ian

Post by Ian »

I use the "view unread posts" link at the top of the forum index. Read through the ones that interest me, and when done go back to the index, click "mark all forums read" to clear the rest. Repeat as required. Notifications don't seem that critical to me.

Doesn't the tapatalk app cost the reader money anyway? Every time I go to a forum that has it enabled, it prompts me to download the app. Every time. :|
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Yeah tapatalk spam is irritating. I believe there's a way to turn it off if you configure it. If you're going to install it please turn of the "notification/spam".