Do real men have Highland Trail fears?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

Do real men have Highland Trail fears?

Post by padonbike »

Here are three of mine (as a first time rider in May 2016):
1) The Northern Loop. I love a bit of Scottish Wilderness (Knoydart, Glen Affric and especially Atterdale), but I probably love these place because I'm never too far from a familiar bothy. The Northern Loop, on the other hand is a big, stonking 100km stretch from Oykel Bridge to Kylesku, with nae bothy to be sniffed out - as least so far as I can tell.

2) Missing the Tesco in Ullapool - I shudder when I read Mike Toyn's (second 2015) account of how he not only missed the Tesco, but also the Petrol station that didn't open until 6.

3) Various other: multiple punctures/tyre failures, drive chain disintegrations, overuse injuries, falling-off injuries, stove malfunctions or fuel running out and ... worse of all ... running out of food at any point!
Ian

Re: Do real men have Highland Trail fears?

Post by Ian »

That was the appeal of the inaugural 2013 ride - none of us knew what to expect :smile:

But anyway;

1. There might not be bothies on the northern loop, but there are options for sleep under partial cover.

2. In 2013, I was oblivious to the fact Ullapool even had a Tesco's - a bit of pre planning info that evaded me. :oops: I survived :-bd

3. Nothing went wrong in 2013, but I failed to finish in 2014 due to injury. It's that kind of route (unless you're Alan Goldsmith, who will just get round regardless :wink: ). Besides injury, I ripped a sidewall on the Devils staircase, so was down to one tube with only 25 miles ridden. There will be set backs, which you have to deal with and/or improvise. It's a long way, stuff is likely to happen.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

I only have three worries:

1. overuse injuries
2. overuse injuries
3. giving up just outside Ullapool for the third time

My knee started playing up last Friday and was not good on a long Saturday training ride :cry:

The Northern loop isn't that bad, have a good feed going into it and take it steady.

Be ready to sleep out. Be ready to be hungry and exhausted and still have to keep going.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps try and substitute excitement for fear ... it could be argued that you're going out with the 'wrong' mindset if you're fearful.

I attempted an ITT in 2013, my rear QR snapped on the first afternoon but a little good fortune got me rolling again. Two days later my knee imploded to the point that carrying on was impossible ... I'd never had (or heard) of a QR snapping and I'd never suffered knee problems, so both came as a complete surprise. It's the not knowing that makes it exciting. As Ian says, it's a long way and stuff happens. If you've prepared as well as you can, then you can do no more. Don't waste time worrying about things you have no control over.

That attempt ended in a resounding DNF but I only have fond memories of the time. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I remember your write up of the ripped tyre wall, Ian.
Here's my multi-step tyre strategy:
1) recently converted to Maxxis tubeless tyres, they didn't have 29x 2.2 so ended up with 29 x 2.1.
2) stans tyre sealant inside tubeless
3) https://www.evanscycles.com/innovations ... t-EV150146 repair strips for bigger holes in tubeless tyre that sealant won't fix
4) park tool tyre boot to fix worse side wall damage (also considering superglue and piece of thick inner tube)
5)1 x spare 29 x 2 tube
6) 1 x reserve spare 29 x 35mm cyclocross tube which looks like it will be ok with tyres only being 2.1 wide anyway
7) normal puncture patches, sandpaper and fresh tube of patch glue (not a dried up old tube).

A bike packer rolls on his tyres!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

8) Fishing twine and a large needle
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Dave Barter wrote:8) Fishing twine and a large needle
Could bring a hook too :wink:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ian wrote:That was the appeal of the inaugural 2013 ride - none of us knew what to expect :smile:
Ian got there first.

The fun of these things is that things go wrong and you have to deal with it. If it all went to plan all the time, there would be no interest in it. Oddly, I didn't even research the bail out options before I raced in 2013. The thought of pulling out never crossed my mind, until probably Strathcarron - but not for obvious reasons.

FWIW, like Ian - I did not know about the Tesco, it was nice when it popped up on my Garmin after Jenn had put it in without telling me. 8 Croissants and a litre of soy milk was tasty.....but regrettable on the way into Fisherfield.

If you pack your fears you'll only find them worse when they happen.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Fish pizza.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

its just riding a bike.

You adapt you deal where there is a will theres a way.

you have only failed when your head falls out the game.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

GregMay wrote:
Fish pizza.
:lol:

My two memories of Dave Barter in HTR 2015 were ordering that fish pizza in Fort Augustus, and then appearing in the Oykel Bridge hotel looking like a zombie, only for the good food to have been finished by the rest of us. I blame the fish pizza.

I don't think you can plan for everything, but at the same time, if you plan for every eventuality you'll be carrying so much kit that you slow right down - and that's something you didn't plan for...
Howard

Post by Howard »

Midges! No-ones mentioned them. Fear is the wrong word but I certainly dread them. Was in Fisherfield last August and got caught out. Should be ok in May and yes you can overpack, but my midge net is 23g.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Always plan for a load of greedy bastards getting to the food before you.

I don't think I could have done anything to make last year's HTR go better for me. Sometimes it just doesn't go your way, doesn't mean you shouldn't have a go though!
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I reckon the weather can make a massive difference.

I'm by no means a fair weather cyclist, but I'd thinh hard about setting off with a wet stormy forecast again.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There were plenty of times when I was bricking it last year (Strath Sealga being the worst needless to say) but I'm not sure I'm a real man.... :mrgreen:
I heard a lot of comments about how remote bits of the route are, particularly if your used to riding in the South of England but its not like your in siberia (despite the weather and midges) so its always worth keeping some perspective. On the Northern loop your actually always fairly close to a road, albeit a road with nowt much on it but civilisation and a train station is an easy spin away in Lairg. Plus the boggy singletrack bit is only 3.5k so even if you walk it in its entirety its not going to take that long.The remotest section of the old route was actually on Day 1 - Kinlochleven to Lagan is 40 odd miles of continuous off road. The new route day 1 reduces this to 25 - ie Loch Rannoch to Lagan but this bit is so good you'll not want it to end :cool:

The bit alongside Suilven is undoubtedly brutal but the really bad bit is about 4 miles - ie an hour and a half of walking so not the end of the world just not a great deal of fun. Plus there is a great feeding point (Lochinver) and a Bothy just before it and a Motel just after it. And if the weather is good you will be thoroughly distracted by the views

The Fisherfield section is definitely the crux as once your in, the only way out is through including a huge puddle. But there are 2 bothies and a wee shed on this section so its fairly straightforward to break it up into 2 rides.

In terms of missing out shops, my plan was simple - I would (and will) wait. Fortunately I didn't have to do this last year but waiting is better than starving.

Other than that its just a case of expecting nothing / everything and dealing with situations as they arise. And if it all goes pear shaped there is always next year.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Some great replies - when's this forum going to get a LIKE button?
slarge

Post by slarge »

Loads of great advice up there. Don't, whatever you do, eat too much in a hotel whilst thinking: "I could ride straight through to the finish from here" . That's 200 miles and a full 2 days riding......

And, if your freehub fails just before Ullapool, don't worry, as you can order a new one on tinternet with 24 hour delivery, have a days rest and recharge, and then get back on the road.

Whilst there is plenty of remoteness, none of it will kill you. It's your mind that will need strength, the body can just do what it's told (apart from Dave and Stu).

You will enjoy it, some of it a lot, and some of it not a lot, but you will look back and think: f@&k, that was brilliant. And you will have something to tell the children, and their children.

Just make sure that your head is fully engaged - some trepidation is good, believing you can't do it is bad. And enjoy it. Alan G has put a cracker together......
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

Anyone with half a brain would get feart. Fears are normal. They keep you alive *and* they give you something to fight against. As has been hinted at... with an adjustment of your perspective you can potentially turn fear into excitement or in the worst case scenario an entertaining anecdote.

Just keep reminding the shitebag/rational(?)/irrational bits of your brain that whatever happens & wherever you are in Scotland you will never be more than a day or so at the very most walk from help & you'll be grand :-bd
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Slarge has it nailed - you'll only remember the good bits, and that's what will keep you hooked. Some of it is horrible, taking you right to breaking point - but you push through and feel better for it.

Just eat lots and listen to what your body is telling you.
touch

Post by touch »

I think it's good to be scared. Even for those of us who've been round before and know exactly what to expect, if you dont have a little bit of fear then you're probably underestimating it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of bothies - they are overrated anyway. Have a look through all the reports from last year and you'll see that there are plenty of much better places to find shelter: old abattoirs, discarded water pipes, public toilets, in/under farm vehicles and various sheds+barns! :D

If you know the distances to all of the resupply points then it's not too difficult to work out which ones you'll pass during opening hours. Stock up if you know you'll miss the next opportunity, you probably wont need to carry more than 1 day of food so it's not that much.
slarge wrote:Don't, whatever you do, eat too much in a hotel whilst thinking: "I could ride straight through to the finish from here" . That's 200 miles and a full 2 days riding......
Been there, and can confirm it was a very bad idea :p
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Don't know about 'real men' being afeared, but after being thoroughly, and quite correctly, schooled by my 12 year old daughter about the ongoing scandal of everyday sexism I'd point out that the most most fearless ride, as far as I can see, last year was from Jenny Graham. Who is, in fact, my hero.

I've never been lucky enough to met her so have no idea if she was scared or not.

Personally I'm not afraid, currently more doubtful than anything else. Having developed (out of nowhere) horrendous lumbar back pain which is unresponsive to prescription pain meds.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

No midges at all last year. The problem was getting cold. I suspect several retirees realised on day 2 that they'd packed too light.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ianfitz wrote:Don't know about 'real men' being afeared, but after being thoroughly, and quite correctly, schooled by my 12 year old daughter about the ongoing scandal of everyday sexism I'd point out that the most most fearless ride, as far as I can see, last year was from Jenny Graham. Who is, in fact, my hero.

I've never been lucky enough to met her so have no idea if she was scared or not.

Jenny.

Scared.

Yeah, right.

:lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ianfitz wrote:Don't know about 'real men' being afeared, but after being thoroughly, and quite correctly, schooled by my 12 year old daughter about the ongoing scandal of everyday sexism I'd point out that the most most fearless ride, as far as I can see, last year was from Jenny Graham. Who is, in fact, my hero.

Personally I'm not afraid, currently more doubtful than anything else. Having developed (out of nowhere) horrendous lumbar back pain which is unresponsive to prescription pain meds.
Funnily (not) enough I did my back in a couple of weeks ago whilst sitting down. Pain meds, a sesh with an osteopath, a massage and a weeks skiing seems to have sorted it so hope you get yours sorted too!

On a relatedish note, Iona Evans did HT14 with massive tumours in her chest so we shouldn't let minor health problems put us off....
trail717

Post by trail717 »

Reasonable fears are good…..

Ahh, nothing beats winning the 3 hour sprint to that one/single store right before closing, and doing it several days into it, when legs feel and move like lead.

On the other hand losing the sprint and finding the planned resupply point is closed is relatively easy to plan for--a couple of dense/packable classic Powerbars tucked away is my approach. Really this is more for psychological stress relief than real sustenance. Ha, with my little stash of food I feel ‘safe’ from starvation.
Actually with water and mild temperatures I know I can (and have) slowly continue on for at least 8 hours on less than a couple of Powerbars-- if I ‘have’ to.

A more real concern, as has already been mentioned, is getting wet, then cold. This combined with no or little calorie intake is a recipe for not just mental beat down but maybe hypothermia. If necessary my approach for wet, cold, hungry is first--avoidance with good layers & a small bit of backup food.

But really the ‘first’ when facing hypothermia is ones willingness to face facts before things go totally south. Hypothermia is not a matter of discomfort but much more serious and dealing with wet/cold/hungry is more about good judgment, ie: making a good call, a willingness to change expectations and plans on the fly etc etc…...May seem dramatic now, reading comments about it in a forum, but come darkness, driving rain, chilled body, out of food and no dry shelter nearby after overextending for the last 4 hours around 2 days into it……..nough said….