Recharging from a Dyno

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

StuartG

Recharging from a Dyno

Post by StuartG »

My Garmin 705 has finally died, which I have loved as I could charge the unit on the go through my SP-dyno. This is done via a USB-E-werk.

Although I could have gone for a Garmin Touring (for the internal battery) I have opted for Etrex 30x - which takes AA batteries. I would prefer to keep an additional set on the bike to top-up from the Dyno, but wondered if there are any preferences on a usb battery charger and any that work best with a dyno.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stuart
Mariner

Re: Recharging from a Dyno

Post by Mariner »

Have a look for ruggedised version of 'portapow' usb driven battery charger.
I have the desk top version runs of my Pebble so should plug into your e-werk.
Stick it in your frame bag or small top bag to keep rain off job done.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

I've used this from car sockets and solar panels with good success:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0107OK1RA

However, the batteries aren't held in the charger very well, and might bounce out if it was in a bag off-road. Since you only need 2x AA cells, you could probably go with something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IZFWKDW

... and gaffer tape the batteries in for security.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Mariner wrote:Have a look for ruggedised version of 'portapow' usb driven battery charger.
This one?

http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/ ... e-battery/

Looks like the batteries would be better secured, and it has an output mode as well.
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

Thanks for that, I was really looking for one with 2xAA battery case. It doesn't look as though there is an issue with the units and the ewerk, so I start looking
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

The 30x will run on external USB power. There's a setting for that in the menu (somewhere...)
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

Thanks Ian, my concern with the external USB through the 30x, is the ewerk. As I have no cache battery with it, apparently if the dyno stops sending charge, the unit apparently tries to shut down :roll: . I thought the battery might be a cheap work around.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I was thinking along the same lines but hadn't looked for anything to solve it yet. A bit of a web search found this

http://www.solartechnology.co.uk/freelo ... ry-charger

I think this is what you might be looking for but I've no experience of the item so can't be sure. I'd like to know if it does work though as I'd also like to power my Etrex this way.

Sean
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

StuartG wrote:Thanks Ian, my concern with the external USB through the 30x, is the ewerk. As I have no cache battery with it, apparently if the dyno stops sending charge, the unit apparently tries to shut down :roll: . I thought the battery might be a cheap work around.
I've not used this feature on mine as I have it set to go to'drive' mode when the lead is plugged in. I don't think it shuts down, but likely a pop up message to helpfully inform you that 'external power lost'. I use rechargables for most use, and just carry a spare set. For longer rides I'll splash out on Lithium ultras which last noticeably longer. AAs are only 14g each!

There's a few thread about using 3000mah cache batteries, it sounds fairly straight forward.

I do have a usb charger for 2 AAs, (made by power-cell) although it is small and flimsy I'd rather just carry two spare batteries for the garmin. For offroad use I've not had much success at going quick enough to charge anything really. And last years B350 saw me burn through a garmin 800 and two 3000mah batteries in 2 1/2 days, despite either being on charge constantly

I also trialed a AA power USB charger, it didn't seem to get much juice out of any type of battery unfortunately.

If you are using it for a road tour then may be more successful. although charging at 500mah would take you 8 hours of riding at 17kmph to charge 2 fairly average re-chargables.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I use one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Recha ... B00102LJQ6

Does AA and AAA, seems to work fairly well. However you do have to keep an eye on it as sometime the batteries do unseat themselves a touch which causes an error. There should be a way to slot something (as strap) through the holes in the lid to stop this but I haven't found it so annoying as to go down that route yet.

Although now I'm tempted by a portapow so I can charge 4 batteries at once.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Another consideration maybe not at this time is if you ever need a SPOT which uses AAA.
The portapow can accommodate both.
An elastic band keeps the flap closed or old piece of inner tube slightly more robust.
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

I did wonder about that, but I thought they were lithium only batteries. Can you get those rechargeable?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Good point just opened mine up errrrr :oops:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

StuartG wrote:I did wonder about that, but I thought they were lithium only batteries. Can you get those rechargeable?
Won't a spot 3 run off a usb input? maybe easier to run it directly rather than nearly charging batteries (that you can't use in it anyway :cool: )
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

I have an older spot tracker, so not really an option.
Ian

Post by Ian »

ianfitz wrote:
StuartG wrote:I did wonder about that, but I thought they were lithium only batteries. Can you get those rechargeable?
Won't a spot 3 run off a usb input? maybe easier to run it directly rather than nearly charging batteries (that you can't use in it anyway :cool: )
The Gen 3 will run off a 5V USB micro input, and inside it say lithium or NiMh batteries. My buffer battery also requires a micro input, which is handy.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

The 30x will run on external USB power. There's a setting for that in the menu (somewhere...)

Ian
Does running in this mode also charge the batteries or are you switching from internal to external power?
Apologies not trying to hijack thread.
Still think there should be a GPS thread though. :roll:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mariner wrote:The 30x will run on external USB power. There's a setting for that in the menu (somewhere...)

Ian
Does running in this mode also charge the batteries or are you switching from internal to external power?
Apologies not trying to hijack thread.
Still think there should be a GPS thread though. :roll:
Don't think it recharges them, just running on external power. I wouldn't want to do this without a cache battery personally due to the 'external power lost' messages that would end up annoying me!

Also worth considering that once the rubber flap is lifted its no longer water-proof...