Tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

Tyres

Post by didnothingfatal »

When did it get so complicated, used to be width and bead, were all I had to choose from. Now buying some Continetal tyres, I have; width, bead type, Supersonic, UST, Protection, RaceSport!!

So those running continental tyres, are you running a regular compound, or a black chilli rubber with some other option?
Ian

Re: Tyres

Post by Ian »

Bead: kevlar, obviously
Supersonic: XC racing whippet flavour, thin, puncture prone (IME)
UST: supposedly for tubeless systems, but I've always used standard tyres for the same purpose
Black Chilli: softer compound, lots of grip, wears out faster. I have these on my Soda for day riding in the mountains, but something faster rolling on the Pegasus
Width: Depends entirely on intended use. On the Pegasus (rigid) for bikepacking, I use 2.2" Conti Race Kings for extra volume/ cushioning. My Soda is fitted with 2.2" Rubber Queens, but they are more to holding a good line through the rocks in the Beacons (plus the 2.4" version are really <----wide---->

Simples.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Race King 2.2 folders for me on the 29er. Never tried the BC compound so can't comment but I'm told they are the Holy Grail of rubber ... but I've been told lots of things over the years that have turned out to be rubbish :roll:

I know Sallyh runs Race King 2.2's on her 69er both folders but nothing magical/expensive.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sallyh

Post by sallyh »

As Stuart says, I do use the Race Kings Folding 2.2 and despite being told by a couple of people they would be rubbish in the wet, in the mud and on wet rocky stuff, they have proved to be anything but as last weekends trip with Stuart proved.

My favourite tyre at the moment; not that I'm an expert, just know what I like and what suits me.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Thanks Ian, I knew what they were ;) Too many options, but the width isn't necessarily a good indicator, Continental are all over the shop, some 2.4s come in against 2.2" of a different model! So after some research I went X King 2.4" Protection, hopefully the will fit.