Dirt drops?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: Dirt drops?

Post by GregMay »

Trail-rat wrote:
do fancy a set of cow chippers though thye look like they sort out the issues i have with woodchippers.(so if anyone wants to swap ;) )

I've a set of Cowchippers for this exact reason. No you can't have them. They are a far better bar.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Conversely, I found the Woodchippers good for road and rough stuff as the narrower "hoods" position is a bit more aero while still providing some braking and the ability to change gear, while the wider flared-drop position lets me use my arms as a bit of suspension (think of the classic attack position) and I can get better braking.
They do work fine like that for road and easy off-road, I'll always have a drop bar off-road bike in the garage. The better braking and wider position shouldn't be the lowest position is my general gripe with dirt drops for anything where you can end up wishing you were on the MTB. Just seems a bit back to front and for some rides it's too compromised. I still like riding them though, logic can often do one in all of this : )
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Ahem,

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... dness.html

Takes mtb levers and shifters and also lets you stretch out for an aero position
17,000 people a month read it ... just no one here.
What was the verdict on the VO bars in the end Stu?

Want something to stick on my Ti frame for riding fully rigid. Toying with buying a pair of these.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What was the verdict on the VO bars in the end Stu?
Ooh yeah must write something. However, seeing as you don't have time to waste, I'll say that I really like them. Comfy in all '3' hand positions, not stupidly heavy or expensive. Some people won't ever get past the looks, which is a shame as they're possibly missing out on a very good bar and others won't think they're wide enough ... although for me they certainly are and I'd say the actually feel wider than their dimensions. I have the alloy version which I'm told isn't intended for mountain bike use ... I simply took that to mean - don't do owt stupid and I'm still alive so it must be working :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Trail-rat wrote:i want to bludgeon* the woodchippers designer with my woodchippers every time i ride with them i HATE them with a passion.... just dont like the angle on the lower section falling away - just feels totally un natural - ive had them on various bikes - mtb , cross and my commuter they aint working for me

do fancy a set of cow chippers though thye look like they sort out the issues i have with woodchippers.(so if anyone wants to swap ;) )

my new bike comes with a kona "wet" bar which looks like a cowchipper with slight flare but nearly flat bottoms to the drops.

*by bludgeon i mean shout and scream.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dajia-Far-Bar ... 1532195564 I ended up with these on my fargo after trying woodies and cowbells. They have a much nicer lever position and turn up at the end so avoid the woodchippers hand-sliding-off-the-end felling. Mucho cheaper too. Should be possible to bodge a pair of mtb levers onto them.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Interesting, i like the fact the drops on the woodchippers are straight- on the singlespeed i can move to the ends to change the grip and get a bit more leverage.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

They don't fit what the OP is after but has anyone tried the Alpkit Bombers? Can't afford the cowchips but these look like they might be worth a try.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

What about the ritchey flared drops? Look very similar angles to cowchippers

Half the price http://www.ubyk.co.uk/m/product.php?CI_ID=66507
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not seen this posted but it's the blog post introducing the Cowchipper http://salsacycles.com/culture/introduc ... _handlebar it has useful overlays of the Cowchipper, Woodchipper and Cowbell bars
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

rando nomad wrote:Ahem,

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... dness.html

Takes mtb levers and shifters and also lets you stretch out for an aero position
Loving mine - they're currently being moved to my gravel-type bike.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

How do wide/shallow dirt drops compare with something like jones loops?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've used some of those "stick-on" drop bars Trail-rat mentioned on my commuter (previously my do-it-all bike which I've done some fairly long on and off-road rides on) and when I moved to BB7s I bodged a crosstop lever on to one so I can brake from that position too.

It's quite a narrow position since there's lots of clutter on my bars, and I suspect adding straight bar extensions to drop bars as above may work better for some, but the narrow setup is probably quite aero.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

benp1 wrote:How do wide/shallow dirt drops compare with something like jones loops?
For me loops have the edge if the terrain is lumpier and requires more control. However if there's any road/smooth/long slogs into a headwind then dirt drops please as the extra positions of a loop are great but don't compare to a drop bar.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Grubby little urchin.