route planning

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

matt147

route planning

Post by matt147 »

I need help on planning routes that I can upload to my garmin edge 810 can anyone advise me on the best way to do this. I need to practice before the WRT thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: route planning

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find bikehike.co.uk very easy to use.

It's a simple case of just clicking on the screen to form the route. Once finished, save it as a gpx track. Plug your Garmin in to the computer and tell bikehike to save it onto the Garmin.
May the bridges you burn light your way
matt147

Post by matt147 »

Sounds so simple. :???: I'll give it a try thanks
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I use the route planner on strava, with the heat maps turned on so you can see where people have riden before. Save route. Export to garmin as a track.

Yes the map is not as good on strava but the heat maps more than make up for it. Your much less likely to plot a hike through a bog.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Interesting - I find Bikehike ok, it works mostly.

I used to use bikeroutetoaster (http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI) which was excellent, but is now next to useless since they changed the interface. UNless you have a massive screen it is terrible.

I now use http://maps.the-hug.net/ - it gives full OS cover (until the tile use is done for the day- then diverts to different scale) also has several different scales as you move about it. Works well for me.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Anyone use www.outdoorsgps.com? It's about £4 for a year with unlimited use of maps. Landranger and Explorer levels available. You can use it with your smart phone too if you want to work on routes away from the computer.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

The altitude and OSM routing functions seem to have stopped working on BikeHike, but you can fake the altitude thing by exporting and adding altitude using the GPS Visualizer website.
jameso

Post by jameso »

The altitude and OSM routing functions seem to have stopped working on BikeHike
I queried the altitude aspect on another thread, it was suggested that the data will refresh at some point as it's drawn from an external source but I've used it and re-loaded the same routes a lot in the last month or so and they're remained flat-lined. Yet loading an old route or route someone sent me recently into bikehike did show elevation from the file itself, so I wonder if bikehikes elevation data link is broken. When making a route I just take a basic contour line view via the OSMcycle map overlay on bikehike and don't care about having height info when actually riding.
but you can fake the altitude thing by exporting and adding altitude using the GPS Visualizer website.
That works well, changed a flatlined route to one that looks much more worrying ..! Thanks for the tip. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

Yeh bike hike good and very easy