Emergency phone

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Emergency phone

Post by ootini »

Does anyone here carry an emergency phone with them ?
I have my 'normal' phone which is an HTC android jobbie which runs Strava, some sat nav duties, LocSMS etc. However the battery life is garbage. I'm thinking of carrying something more traditional, like a Nokia 3210 pr something. Basic, but bomb proof with weeks of battery life.
whitestone

Re: Emergency phone

Post by whitestone »

Use a GPS for Strava, etc. My phone is usually turned off until I need it so it's my "emergency phone"
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I use a Nokia 130, it's proper old school, no camera but it does have bluetooth. The battery has a 30 day standby if that's what you're after. Cost me £12.99 from the O2 shop.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Not sure how true this is but old 3210 paired with an Isle of Man sim card is great for an emergency phone as it will pick up whichever UK based signal is best
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Carry a spare battery/batterypack that weighs the same as a second phone?

Has your phone got any low power modes? Sony Xperia, as well as being waterproof, have a number of them that gradually reduce features to reduce power consumption.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote:Carry a spare battery/batterypack that weighs the same as a second phone?

Has your phone got any low power modes? Sony Xperia, as well as being waterproof, have a number of them that gradually reduce features to reduce power consumption.
My Sony Xperia currently has 25% battery left and has 12 hours left on standby, so that's about 48 hours on a full battery. In its uber battery saving mode, it quotes over 10 days (but does make all but texting /calling unusable). Doesn't help if you want to use strava though
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

johnnystorm wrote:Carry a spare battery/batterypack that weighs the same as a second phone?

The second phone has the benefit of being a separate unit from your main phone, so can't get lost or soaked or broken if you keep it sealed up and hidden until required.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

voodoo_simon wrote:Not sure how true this is but old 3210 paired with an Isle of Man sim card is great for an emergency phone as it will pick up whichever UK based signal is best

Is true! I have this exact set up for solo scotland trips. Manx Tel sim roams all networks on the mainland and any of those old school nokias have a much stronger signal than a modern phone. When they were designed they weren't phone masts on every corner.

if there is a signal you will find it...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote:Use a GPS for Strava, etc. My phone is usually turned off until I need it so it's my "emergency phone"
That.

With a SPOT for "real" emergencies :grin:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I've found a couple of things will make an iphone 5s stretch out with battery. For one, turn the brightness down on the screen to maybe 1/4 brightness or less. Secondly, switch it to airplane mode - you can still take photos with it this way. I tend to get 3 or 4 days out of the device like this. If I'm out for longer, I carry a spare battery that will give me 2 full charges. If I need emergency help, I'll reach for the Spot. Peace of mind 'n all that, ya know. Beyond a week, I carry a single port USB wall wart that will charge the battery overnight in a hotel or a gas station or diner, etc.

Greetz

S.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I dont take an emergency phone but on most trips I take my compact electricals kit, a small bag containing:
Spare phone battery
Micro usb - usb lead
Usb battery pack charger 2400mah
2x AAA for lights
Usb folding wall charger

I rarely use the phone biking other than shop opening times or to check a map, its usually off and in an Aloksak in my jersey.

However I do keep 1 emergency burner phone in my Bug Out Bag, prepaid UK and Europe Sims all in a waterproof case....just incase... :ugeek:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I thought SIM cards / mobile numbers got re-assigned after 6 months if not used?
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:I thought SIM cards / mobile numbers got re-assigned after 6 months if not used?
Not if you inform the provider not to do so, that and every 3 months I check, use, and cycle charge the phone to keep it all working. Though I admit I've never needed or used to EU sim so I could be wrong with that one
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

10 days (but does make all but texting /calling unusable)
:???:

So it's a clock?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

boxelder wrote:
10 days (but does make all but texting /calling unusable)
:???:

So it's a clock?
Nope, switches off everything BUT the sms/call features. :-bd
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I've 'downgraded' my phone to a Samsung S5611 which is essentially a 'brick'/bar phone but still works with the 3 network*.

Mainly because I was fed up being constantly 'connected'. However a nice bonus is that unused the battery lasts about 5 days.

*this is useful as I can load up with text/call bundle and then use them in certain EU countries as if I was in the UK.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ianfitz wrote:
voodoo_simon wrote:Not sure how true this is but old 3210 paired with an Isle of Man sim card is great for an emergency phone as it will pick up whichever UK based signal is best

Is true! I have this exact set up for solo scotland trips. Manx Tel sim roams all networks on the mainland and any of those old school nokias have a much stronger signal than a modern phone. When they were designed they weren't phone masts on every corner.

if there is a signal you will find it...
Super, I may invest (although will the wife get suspicious getting a second number :lol:)