B and M Lumotec experience?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ben98

B and M Lumotec experience?

Post by Ben98 »

I've been looking at this light as its cheaper then a revo and has inbuilt USB charging. So does anyone have any experience of this light? Is it bright enough for steady off road? And is it built well enough to stand up to "bikepacking" usage?
Thanks
Ben
Dan_K

Re: B and M Lumotec experience?

Post by Dan_K »

I've had mine for a week and in answer to both questions - no.
It's fine for the road but I won't use it for anything else.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

When I ran across the B&M IQ2 I thought this was a very good idea.
A bit more digging and ran across a thread on CTC forum about the cache battery life.
Seems the early version of the IQ2 had a duff battery design and was corrected very quickly by B&M.
The forum dates from about two years ago so assume any design wrinkles have been sorted out by now.
However there is an inherent flaw in the concept as the light itself is fed via the cache battery so if you lose that you lose the light as well.
I would go for a set up where the dynamo and light are separate from the recharging side thus if one fails you still have the other.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

I got the B&M c. 2years ago and had the Cache battery failure. It was all covered by B&M, the 'newer' version is much better built. The lights are on my audax bike. Would I use these for bikepacking - absolutely NO!

The beam is amazing for road use, being wide and elongated - but I don't feel it is bright enough just in front of the wheel for off road.

I have the Evo Revolution on my 29er, much better for off road use, when you have the 4 lights on!

The Evo IMHO is better build for bikepacking, I think the B&M with it's plastic casing would just be destroyed.

Also the slight difference is the mounting position, the B&M is best on the fork, the Evo on the bars - so again out of the way in the rough stuff.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Ok I'll drop that idea :lol:
How about this one? http://www.rosebikes.com/article/b--m-i ... aid:837401 it doesn't have the USB charging, but I could use the cycle2charge for that, its marginally brighter and has an aluminium body which looks much more 'offroad' and tough. As for mounting handlebar/fork crown, I think I could persuade it to mount on the bars quite easily with a bit of tinkering :grin:
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

These have really strong reviews from the audax crowd:

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/son-ed ... aid:715048