Anyone fish?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Anyone fish?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pitched up next to a lake which obviously contained fish, got me thinking about the possibility of carrying a fishing rod with me ... yea, yea I know.

Anyway a little internet searching turned up a few pen/pocket fishing rods. They're certainly light and small enough to carry but would they actually be any use for catching fish? Link to one I found below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poachers-Pen-Fi ... pd_cp_sg_3

Has anyone tried one? Would I be wasting my time? Is it all a bit too Ray Mears? ... I know nowt about fishing as I'm sure you can tell.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Re: Anyone fish?

Post by Ian »

Has anyone tried one? Would I be wasting my time? Is it all a bit too Ray Mears?
No. Probably. Yes*.

;)

* Ray would probably make his own rod out of hazel rods and line from platted horse hair. He would also make a boat to fish out of. Which birch-bark canoe for bikepacking?
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Dynamite :D

Nevis

Post by Nevis »

The quality look a little dubious to me.

Google bush craft fishing or hobo fishing. Basically you just carry line and tackle wrapped around a coke can or coke bottle that acts as your reel.

Weight weenies can wrap their tackle round their coke can burner ;)

If you want to get all Ray Mears check out this vid about 1:55 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvRR5MTBBQI
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheers Nevis ... think I'll knock up a basic line and use a stick, bivvy pole, etc for a rod. I'll also pack food as i've never caught a fish in my life :D
May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

If going to fish where it is stocked, take some go cat and bait your hooks with it glued to a hook, the pellets stock fish are raised on are nearly identical to Go Cat