Joystick or Diablo?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Joystick or Diablo?

Post by rufus748 »

I'm looking for a new light to supplement my revo. It will normally be used mounted on my helmet and for commuting which is moatly off road.
I'd like something that will also provide adequate light when the revo is only kicking out on two bulbs (mainly backpacking scenario)
From what I've read the Joystick is a tighter 'spot' beam and the Diablo wider.
I can't find a shop that stocks both locally for a comparison.
Any users? Advice?
Cheers
Chew

Re: Joystick or Diablo?

Post by Chew »

rufus748 wrote:From what I've read the Joystick is a tighter 'spot' beam and the Diablo wider.
I have both (although my Joystick is several years old) and this is what I find.
I'd go for the most powerful one so you can run it at the lowest setting and get the longer burn time.
jBay

Post by jBay »

Diablo - run it on low for long rides
Piggy back battery if high power needs for long periods
Mix and match setting based on ride
Switches automatically to low setting to get you home
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Have a mk2 Diablo which is very good as a compliment to my revo.
No gripes at all.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's a light comparison guide on the Wiggle site where you can view the output side by side: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sc/lights-comparison-guide (drag the divider left and right to get a feel for each). Bikeradar also do a comparison tool but I'm not sure if the Diablo and Joystick are among the models.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have a mk10 Joystick and am finding it is only really good enough for off road on the highest setting. On the middle setting it is fine for the road but a bit weak at any other time. It is light though and as a helmet light is hardly noticeable.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Diablo (+ piggy back batt if poss)

I've also got both, although the Joystick is about 6 years old. It's better to have the option of extra light if needed..
I think the only advantage a joystick might have is that it's lighter...in weight i mean, not lumens :grin:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Joystick mk9 on have a wider beam. Not used mine all that much as a helmet light yet though. Mainly commuting in the pulse mode.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I bought a Diablo after needing a new helmet light and seeing Wotsits' in action

I've been very pleased with it so far. Bought it in early November - one bikepacking trip and about half a dozen night rides done with it since, plus a bit of pottering around. Only used off road, have a different helmet and helmet light for road/commuting use

I really like the TAP function, I use that many times on a ride. I bought the Diablo over the axis and joystick as it's brighter, has a slightly higher capacity battery, comes with TAP, and the triple LED up front looks better than the single. I also like that it will make a good bar light too. TAP function comes on the axis, but there isn't a huge difference in price between the two

Equinox wasn't worth the extra for me, and didn't want the faff of a bar mounted switch
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Joystick will do me fine for a general use helmet light (with a much more powerful handlebar light). Only really need it for picking out the details on more technical descents, and most of the rest of the time it's off.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Phil simcock had a diablo for sale I think. On Facebook outdoor exchange or bike&bivi page.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Thanks for the advice.
I'm swaying towards the Diablo as a result of the comments.
I'd like the equinox but can't justify the extra money.
I've looked at the Bike and Bivi page and Phil's is an Equinox, unfortunately still out of my price range.
Thanks guys.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Love my Diablo but if I was starting again I would go for a set of the Chinese ones
After taking my friends out for a spin recently they provide better spill and throw and are a fifth of the cost (after sales service won't be as good as exposure though who have helped with a few probs over the last year or so)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

slowupslowdown-under wrote:Love my Diablo but if I was starting again I would go for a set of the Chinese ones
After taking my friends out for a spin recently they provide better spill and throw and are a fifth of the cost (after sales service won't be as good as exposure though who have helped with a few probs over the last year or so)
Do you have a source for these Pete?
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Meant to post exactly the same question . . . . Can we have a link please Pete?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bumping this for a related question. Does the Axis have any advantage over the Joystick for use as a head torch? Is it generally better to have a more "spotty" beam for head torches or is the wide spread still fairly useful (I'm guessing not). At the moment I just use a Cree torch for most stuff, but I do like the idea of having something a little more versatile.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just to add a different perspective.

I've had 3x Chinese ones and they have been good(ish) one of the batteries died on one but at £20-50 a go you can't grumble.

They now don't get used since I bought a Joystick, it's just better....

Burn times you can count on
Sensible modes that you can adjust
Charge in the house without fear of fire....

Exposure all the way....
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Richard - I was using a Diablo when we went on the bothy trip in November

I team it with a chinese bar light (with a battery pack with reliable 18650s). I'd like an exposure one but it's about £300 for something like that

The Axis has the same battery capacity as the Diablo, and functionally is very similar. The only real difference is the power, the Diablo is much brighter which means you can use it as a proper light on its own, also comes with a bar mount. I also prefer the way it looks... The difference in price isn't that big
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Not a massive difference I know, but I tried a few different ones on my helmet and I'd like to keep the weight as light as possible (I have a tiny head that gets shaken about, what can I say). The heaviest I've been comfortable with for long / technical rides was about 105g inc mount. Diablo is a little bit above that.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My head is about as sensitive as a rugby ball, I don't really notice the weight. I think it's lighter than my non-cycle-specific helmet light that I used before

My 2 helmets - MTB and Road/Commute - both have helmet lights on so I'm probably just used to it now

There isn't a life changing amount of difference between the two, I think you'd be happy either way. I noted a lot of exposure lights at the weekend
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Richard G wrote:Bumping this for a related question. Does the Axis have any advantage over the Joystick for use as a head torch? Is it generally better to have a more "spotty" beam for head torches or is the wide spread still fairly useful (I'm guessing not). At the moment I just use a Cree torch for most stuff, but I do like the idea of having something a little more versatile.
For mountain biking I like a wide throw on my handlebar light. And the edge of the light would be adjusted so I can see just in front of my tyre. but not if I have a front harness on. As the bag is in the way. But I would probably be going alot slower and a lot more carefully fully ladened.

Up top I use a superdrive xl. Like a Joystick but for me, a better recharge system via usb and the batteries are switchable as well. I have three battries in total, equating to six hours on full brightness or twenty one hours at 250lumens. It is a spot light, with the higher position it's more useful up there.

I know the exposures are good. But I think alot of people dismiss the lezyne lights, but they have a decent range of products that are well made, cheaper by comparison and a decent warranty.and importantly for me a different charging system, with cheap switchable recharble batteries.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That is one aspect I like about the simple torch setup I've been using. It's easy to carry a couple of spare 18650s.
PeteG

Post by PeteG »

I've been using a Lezyne up till recently when I acquired a cateye Volt 700. Nice, small but plenty of poke.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My road helmet has a Lezyne on it, a macro duo

The Exposures have guaranteed run time which is the biggest draw. The TAP function is a bonus on the Axis and Diablo. I like being able to stick a little red light in too
FLV

Post by FLV »

Personally I think you get a better, more useful light spread out of the 3 LED lights, you can lower the setting a little and get better life too.

I like to ride the easier off road parts with it on the bars and then if its a tricky section I just grab it a clip it into the waiting mount on my helmet.