Cairngorm loop grp depart 2016

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Cairngorm loop grp depart 2016

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I could do without repeating the damage I did to my feet after only 24 hrs of wet but non-freezing conditions a while back; took over 3 months to get all the feeling back.

What do the CL vets recommend for preventing damaged feet from the combination of river crossings and (probably) low temps? Apart from staying at home...
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

I've not done the CL but have a similar problem best way I've found to manage it is.
*Using knee high merino wool compression socks under knee length seal skinz

The compression socks should help improve blood flow and keep your feet warmer. Seal skinz keep you dry (but only if knee length)

Tape up top of socks with DUCK tape if need to do any river crossings higher than knee.

Also get off and walk now and again.

Hope this helps.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Woolie Boolies.

Push when your feet go numb, don't tighten your shoes too much, and keep a spare pair of the aforementioned for the overnight.

Edit: Also accept your feet will get wet so work to keep them warm. A waterproof solution is only good until your feet get wet, and then they stay wet.

Finally, I've done the route post-holing through snow on the shoulder of Bynack More, and got sunburn the year before from exactly the same place. Be flexible in your kit choices.
atk

Post by atk »

AlasdairMc wrote:Woolie Boolies.
I'm also counting on these. 6" version going cheapish at Evans right now with the Easter 20% off.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

philipft wrote:Dropping my son of in Perth on Friday for the youth tour of Scotland and planning to sneak off and ride the route before I collect him on Monday so should be able to see which bits still exist :shock:
Nice one but could be chilly! Also the rivers could be high if there is a lot of snow melt going on.

Re river crossings, if water levels are fairly normal, only the Fords of Avon and the Geldie will require major paddling as the River by Sronphradruaig lodge is usually straightforward or can be avoided as the route crosses it twice within 100m. That said if the upper Feshie path is gone, crossing the feshie could be a major challenge....

Socks off and insoles out (or even bareoot) for paddling works for me. Your boots get wet but your feet stay dry.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:I could do without repeating the damage I did to my feet after only 24 hrs of wet but non-freezing conditions a while back; took over 3 months to get all the feeling back.

What do the CL vets recommend for preventing damaged feet from the combination of river crossings and (probably) low temps? Apart from staying at home...
What shoes / boots were you wearing?

I was out at the weekend, got cold and wet both days. Was only a 3 1/2 hr run yesterday but got back and feet were so cold (was wearing summer shoes + sealskin socks) that the tops of my feet broke out in a heatrash when I was in the shower, really itchy and red for 10 minutes.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I had wool socks in a pair of shimano m88 shoes. They have a little insulation and small vents. I also had a pair of neoprene surf socks. They were ace. Vasaline on the toes to prevent skin problems. Accept your feet will get wet. Warm but wet is the way to go. So leg warmers, long socks and wind proof trousers help. As does HAB. Gets the blood flowing to the toes.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Does anyone bother removing shoes and socks for the crossings? Or maybe taking something else to stick on your feet to ford streams with?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thinking about using neoprene socks, which I will wear for the river crossings, with Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Winter MTB Boots over the top for riding & HAB. If there is room for some Woolie Boolies without making the boots too tight then all the better!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

benp1 wrote:Does anyone bother removing shoes and socks for the crossings? Or maybe taking something else to stick on your feet to ford streams with?
just get your feet wet. there are too many to remove your shoes on, you would spend way too much time faffing around. maybe in the summer you could ride some of the shallower crossings. last year i was nearly up to my chest crossing the tilts tributeries. its was an unusually high crossing apparently.

other than getting the bike, and food ready etc, i wont be deciding on clothes and in particular footware untill i see the mountain weather forcast the day before, it is the cairngorms.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Thinking about using neoprene socks, which I will wear for the river crossings, with Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Winter MTB Boots over the top for riding & HAB. If there is room for some Woolie Boolies without making the boots too tight then all the better!
i think you are about right with the above. however, you might find your feet will cook if it gets even 'mild' in the northwaves, supose it depend on your feet. neoprane is best used without anything between you and it, (other than a plastic bag as a vapour barrier, if you know what you are doing). a wet wool sock, neoprane sock and a load of pressure from your pedal over a long period of time and you are asking for trouble.
napalmgram

Post by napalmgram »

Went round the inner loop on Good Friday.

Reasonably big missing chunk of ground after the bridge at ~021105, could be a surprise if you rode over the bridge (my bars didn't fit):

At the entry to Glen Feshie at ~864902 is it only fools like me who slavishly follow the gpx track who end up tiptoeing across a very exposed waterfall crossing? Or is that a normal part of the route?

Rode round in some old Inov-8 mudclaws with Bridgedale trekking socks underneath. Feet got plenty wet but stayed warm. Most of the wet was from pushing through snow and the river crossings in the second half, Fords of Avon were 'interesting' but kept my feet dry!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Justchris wrote:
benp1 wrote:Does anyone bother removing shoes and socks for the crossings? Or maybe taking something else to stick on your feet to ford streams with?
just get your feet wet. there are too many to remove your shoes on, you would spend way too much time faffing around. maybe in the summer you could ride some of the shallower crossings. last year i was nearly up to my chest crossing the tilts tributeries. its was an unusually high crossing apparently.

other than getting the bike, and food ready etc, i wont be deciding on clothes and in particular footware untill i see the mountain weather forcast the day before, it is the cairngorms.
When I did it in 2013, I kept dry and warm feet by removing socks and insoles despite three thigh deep river crossings. Its a faff but its an opportunity for a breather so no big deal in the context of the whole route. If you are planning on rattling round in sub 30 hrs then wet feet are livable with but my feet get very cold when wet. Plus I was practicing for the highland trail and was in no hurry so happy to dry my tootsies in the sun!
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

napalmgram wrote:At the entry to Glen Feshie at ~864902 is it only fools like me who slavishly follow the gpx track who end up tiptoeing across a very exposed waterfall crossing? Or is that a normal part of the route?
That is part of the route. I don't think there is another way round, unless you want to swim! I agree, it is the most exposed part of the course. It is totally doable with care unless it has changed a lot since last year, but you do not want to slip. Unfortunately, it is toward the end of the day. Take care people!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

napalmgram wrote:Went round the inner loop on Good Friday.

Reasonably big missing chunk of ground after the bridge at ~021105, could be a surprise if you rode over the bridge (my bars didn't fit):
It's a very narrow bridge so I'd be surprised if any bars fitted :grin:

I was across it today actually. The hole is still there.

At the entry to Glen Feshie at ~864902 is it only fools like me who slavishly follow the gpx track who end up tiptoeing across a very exposed waterfall crossing? Or is that a normal part of the route?
This bit?
ImageP1040212 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

That is the area, but the bit we are talking about doesn't look like that. Either it has changed, or it is a bit further up. A deeper cut into the hillside, exposed rock, and a steep step-over a small waterfall.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh aye - it's the wee bit next to this. Fun with a tandem and BOB trailer :lol:
Mart

Post by Mart »

napalmgram wrote:Reasonably big missing chunk of ground after the bridge at ~021105, could be a surprise if you rode over the bridge (my bars didn't fit):
Ha Ha I had the same problem with my bars - Got a pic somewhere of the bike wedged between the hand rails :lol:
2924 miles per Gallon
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Mart wrote:
napalmgram wrote:Reasonably big missing chunk of ground after the bridge at ~021105, could be a surprise if you rode over the bridge (my bars didn't fit):
Ha Ha I had the same problem with my bars - Got a pic somewhere of the bike wedged between the hand rails :lol:
Wheelie? :lol:
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

going to be soo un fit for this haha, as just got my compleation date for moving house , so going to spend the next 3 weekends boxing things then moving things in then painting thingshaha... so afterwork riding will have to do :P... and stiff upper lip :P
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Is there any way of viewing the route on Google Earth?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bing maps aerials are the most up to date and you can clearly see the bit in Scotroutes' photo above. That said they are from 2011 so don't show the new path from ruigh etchacan to the road.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

In the spirit of helpfulness went up and down the burn of brown yesterday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/538217375

North side on the way down was easy access (cycled through both rivers) then lots of hike a bike, quite marshy. Managed to get back across at the bottom with dry feet due to goretex boots, but wouldn't count on it!

Back up the south side was possibly faster but there was a bit of lifting the bike over spiky gorse and holding onto trees and the bike to skirt round the bank. Not sure I'd fancy it if your bike is fully loaded. Did a bit of exploring at the top (would not recommend my route out).

Stu.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The east side Feshie path is OK too - a mate went up it the other day.
My back isn't however so I'm out.... :cry:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

htrider wrote: My back isn't however so I'm out.... :cry:
Bugger :(