Tyre and Rim Technical help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Tyre and Rim Technical help

Post by Mariner »

Just spent a couple of hours and tyre levers trying to fit my new tyres on my new rims. I am running out of tyre levers and no nearer to finishing the job.
I have a WTB i35 and i45 on which I am trying to fit a Trailblazer 2.8 and a Trail Boss 3 both by WTB.
Rims are marked 27.5 Ertro 584 35c and 584 45c respectively.
Tyers are marked 27.5 x 2.8 and 27.5 x 3 respectively.
I needed levers to get the first side on which seemed odd and then the tyre was so tight that I couldn’t rotate to line up the label with valve. :roll:
I can get both tyres on second side to leave a cord length of approx. 300mm but am not able to get any further. My eye keeps wandering to the wrecking bar in the corner but so have resisted temptation. :o
Really disappointed on two counts. If I cant get the tyres to fit in workshop conditions how will I manage out on the trail if needs be? I cant carry a wrecking bar which is heavier than my bike. :o
My hack 29er has Conti Tyres which I can almost get on and off without using a tyre lever but then the rims have a deep vee which the tyre can sit in. The WTBs are very flat with minimum rim lip height.
Thinking I might have to abandon this idea and go to plan B which was really plan A 29er rims with Maxxis.

Any thoughts or inside knowledge/experience with similar?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Re: Tyre and Rim Technical help

Post by fatbikephil »

Seems to be a common problem with tubless rims that have no well to assist with seating the tyre if you haven't got a compressor. Stans do one which actually has a raised bit in the middle of the rim - how the hell your supposed to get a tyre on that one I have no idea....Try wd 40 on the tyre bead to help it slide onto the rim.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have heard that WTB tyres on WTB rims can be a bit tight. I think it's all to do with their tubeless design.

I've just fitted some FatBNimbles on WTB Scraper rims with no problem.

You didn't mention rim tape - what are you using?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

You didn't mention rim tape - what are you using?

Dont know rims came with tape fitted. :roll:
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Once the tyres are installed they stretch a bit and so second time on or off are a bit easier. As htrider suggests use a lubricant. I use ferry liquid in water. I have heard wd40 works. Just don't let it drip onto your disks. Or if it does clean thourly. I also have plastic coated metal levers which don't bend. Best of luck. We have all been in your shoes at some point!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mariner wrote:You didn't mention rim tape - what are you using?

Dont know rims came with tape fitted. :roll:
If it's thick tape and/or has a rough surface then you are potentially making things harder than they have to be.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Both tyres now on seated and inflated to max.
Had to be inflated twice to get them to go bang and seat.
The technique as suggested by a Mr A Stevenson, bike fettler dispenser of bike wisdom and person I would most like to sit down and have pint with, is to roll the tyre on by hand while seated and working away from you. Managed the i35 with no tyre levers but couldnt repeat it after first trial run.
What I did in the end was chase the groove in the rim forcing the rim tape down in. Fit tyre one side then the tube and working away from the valve (Zinn please note) work your way round by hand and keep backtracking to force the tyre into the groove.
When you have about 150mm of tyre left outside the rim jam a lever in the middle and pull like mad while pressing either side of lever with your thumbs.
The i35 rim took me a couple of hours today and the i45 a couple of minutes.
Big job. #:-S
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Had a total nightmare with Geax Sturdy 29" 2.3's the other weekend on WTB i19 rims. Ended up doing both wheels twice as I nipped the tubes in the struggle ! :roll: Took me hours so by the time they were done it was dark and wet. I had a major sense of humour failure and hope to God I don't puncture any time soon :cry:

Cable ties and washing up liquid were my saviors