The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are you looking to run it in September again, re-reading the start of the discussion, you initially said early summer would be your choice. I suppose bad weather can hit at any time in the Alps, I've had snow in Morzine in early August. Just thinking that the longer days of May/June might suit some.
Personally, I think the time of year was great. I certainly wouldn't have wanted it any hotter and the fact that some of the cols were buried under feet of snow less than a week later, sort of adds to the anticipation and I'm sure in future years will enrich the tales of daring-do amongst the mountains :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Same time of year again, yes. I liked the turn of season feel and it suits a season-ending social ride. Still planning to do a mid-June run one year - any earlier would be a snow plod for too much of the route, mid-June would be like a high-ish snow level TDR, a bit of plod likely but hopefully not excessive. Some potential for Sept also as Stuart says, it's an added element.
I did think it would be nice to collect a patch from the cafe at the end as an incentive to visit and to signify (not prove) finishing?
I'm hoping we can do better than that next year : ) Not a lot, but patches as a minimum, easy.
The owner is quite pro the event beyond the basic promotion of the cafe and wants to ride next year if he can, he's a good guy. It was all a bit 'we might call in' this year but we met him when we finished and he was encouraging about it all. They might be able to have bike boxes for riders, they have a workshop, riders like Peter Sagan may be calling in : ) it seems like a good option.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Like Stu says, its more the journey which is important and what happens on the way.

As a curve ball i'd suggest thinking about a completely different route or even two completely different cities to travel between. Milan to Geneva anyone?
Great route, but unsure what my appetite would be to ride the same again. Kinda takes away some of the surprises and adventure.

Time of year was spot on, although looking at the pictures from the week after we may have gotten lucky. I think we all remember melting on the way up Col d'Izoard and been thankful for an ice cream at the top, so I cant imagine wanting to go any earlier.

Just plot a route that you want to ride James and its up to anyone else if they want to join in. Riding with Ben you'll have gotten a good insight as to what the 'average' person can ride, to guide any future timescales.

....Oh and less hot pants. Think i've seen enough for a lifetime :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

....Oh and less hot pants. Think i've seen enough for a lifetime :wink:
I'm gonna bring a thong next time :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Chew wrote:As a curve ball i'd suggest thinking about a completely different route or even two completely different cities to travel between. Milan to Geneva anyone?
Great route, but unsure what my appetite would be to ride the same again. Kinda takes away some of the surprises and adventure.:
I like the end of year social aspect but like Chew has said maybe a different route or a different mountain range like the Pyrenees :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

There's a lot of scope in the Pyrenees. We were there this summer
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

Chew wrote: As a curve ball i'd suggest thinking about a completely different route or even two completely different cities to travel between. Milan to Geneva anyone?
Great route, but unsure what my appetite would be to ride the same again. Kinda takes away some of the surprises and adventure.
On the other hand, so much effort must have gone into preparing this year's route (and those superb cue sheets) that'd it'd be a real shame to use it only once. There were bits I would love to ride again, and there were a number of route branches were I went one way this year thinking I could always go the other next time.

That said, if someone has the time to put together a route of this quality between two other cities I'd be all over that too!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I'd go back and do it again, but adding in the 2 sections I took alternates for. Would add an extra day to the ride and keep me up high where the riding was rather grand.

Greetz

S.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

jameso wrote:- Make Colle du Priet or Chialvetta-to-carry sections into Little Peru / Gardetta an either-or option or make Priet the main route? Also be more realistic about time and effort needed for the Chialvetta route and the Col des Peas carry. It was 45 mins or less of actual carrying at the top section of the Peas from my rose-tinted memory, honest. But the push to get there took a while..
I took the Preit road climb. I found it steep and narrow, and the number of cars squeezing past at speed got a bit tiresome. It was my least favourite of the road climbs and I thought I'd try the HAB option next year, to see how that compares. I'm in no doubt it'll be tougher, but it might be the more enjoyable despite (or because of) it. This time next year I should be in a better position to give an opinion on which is better :)
jameso wrote: - Take out minor track diversion toward end of Little Peru, the side trip nr Rocca Meja. Steep, and rough on descent for all but MTBs, lack of trail continuity. Stay on main track and just list it as a side-option. Or is this being soft?
We must have unintentionally missed the minor track diversion. We were on the main track from Gardetta and stopped to take photos by some ruined stone buildings, and there we realised there we were off course but also that carrying on would get us back on course sooner than backtracking. The way we went was really rather pleasant, and I'm not sad if that meant I missed out a steep technical climb and descent!
jameso wrote: - Checked OSM for correct road on descent to Verante (the Barter diversion). Revise GPS to show actual route there not a short path down the fall-line that Google seems to think is a road!
Loved the Verante fall line section! It was splendidly daft, especially on a gravel bike, and I somehow managed to cling on to the 29er full susser in our group (but only by leaving all sense at the top). We did wonder if it was intentional to go that way, and debated staying on the main track, clearly sign posted Verante, rather than go past the no entry sign, but I didn't regret that we did. Maybe the official route should keep to the main track, but I'd probably take the fall line track next year too.
jameso wrote:- Re-route through Limone Piemonte past supermarket and bars near main square/church (the Barter refuel). Currently follows road one street away in error – intent was to go directly past the supermarket.
We went into the centre and looked around anyway. We found the supermarket easily enough but no harm in having the route go straight past its front door.
jameso wrote:- Add Col Braus climb/descent on road as a quicker finish option, onto a d/h valley road to Nice – also the Col Brouis via Val Roya and Sospel to get there as a more road-orientated finish after the Tende options - would skip the Forca/Turini climb.
We followed the route and did the climb all the way to the old garrison (was that Forca?) on the way to Turini, but I thought I'd probably miss the last bit next year. The initial road climb was steep but rewarding, and the shallower gradient bit through the trees that followed was lovely, but there was then a 5-way junction where one option led straight to Turini (I think) that I thought I'd try next time rather than carry on up. (Though my view might be tainted by running out of water shortly after that junction).
jameso wrote:- Possibly remove the Madone de Gorbio climb from main route (the last ~200m rise near Nice). ie you'd crest the col Braus climb and know ‘that’s it, downhill all the way’? (As above).
The Madone de Gorbio was maybe one climb too many for me. Maybe it was the sight of the sea from the first right hander but I did just want to get to Nice at that point and have a beer!
jameso wrote:- What did you think of the climb up through the woods to the Col Braus from near Sospel?
That was fine. Memory tells me it was all rideable, even for me. But then my memory plays tricks on me. It was amusing to come out onto the road and up to the Col Braus sign where roadies were taking their pics and think "pah, you came up on tarmac".
jameso wrote:- End route at Café du Cycliste. There’s an incentive for getting there during opening hours next year.
Agree on ending the ride at Cafe du Cycliste. It was where I had my own finish line this year. True, it was a bit of an anti-climax once I was there, but if we were expected it could make it more special. Perhaps we should have a TNR brevit card with space for just two stamps, one from you in Turin and one from the Cafe in Nice :)
jameso wrote:- Revise estimated time from 3-7 to 4-10 days. Shorter route was ridden in 3.5 days during good weather this year but the full route at a more social pace could end up being 6-7 even for relatively fit and efficient riders.
I took my time getting to Nice, because I could, so arrived after most people had gone home. Had there been a date set for post-ride drinks or a mass meal like Turin I might have tried to harry myself along a bit more (and let myself take a shortcut or two). 10 days for the full route (ex HAB) was fairly comfortable for me, 8 days feasible - especially if more efficient. 6-7 for days for fitter/keener riders doesn't sound impossible. I'll maybe aim for 7 next year, but I'll miss out the Dronero loop as I fancy the sound of that steep siding valley descent instead!
Last edited by SixPotBelly on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Chew wrote:Like Stu says, its more the journey which is important and what happens on the way.

...Oh and less hot pants. Think i've seen enough for a lifetime :wink:

As they say - be careful what you wish for Chew . . .
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Since moving to NE Spain a year ago, S Cataluña to be precise, I've been doing a lot of research into long distance trails. It's a dirty job etc. There are lots of multi-day mountain bike routes ranging from the Med-Atlantic TransPyr which runs to 1000km, the various permutations of the Camino de Santiago for the God botherers, the 800km Via de la Plata along the Portugese border and as Chew will agree, a nice 200km 2-3 day route called the Pedals del Ports which is definitely proper mountain biking. I also did the CAT700 in July which is a linear route from the Pyrenees to the Med and is one of the best riding I've ever done.
What all this rambling is leading up to is that I think there is plenty of scope for a similar event to Torino-Nice in Spain and given my 10 years of organising Trailquest events in mid Wales, admittedly 10 years ago, I'd be willing to put together something next year. Clearly access to transport links to the UK is a key element, Spain is definitely not short of airports served by budget carriers. Once I've fleshed this out, I'll put a post up similar to this one.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@James: My 2c...

- Make the Gardetta push mandatory. That was a tough section, but the views were immense and I was wasted by the top. All great routes have a serious section of HAB and now I've heard from Dave and Andy how hard Col de Peas was...Gardetta sounds like it was marginally easier and is therefore maybe the more acceptable push. It's a nice little drop down to the refuge from the sign on the pass.
- Leave in the Turini climb. That section after the hairpin where there is a water trough/covered bench was magic. I'd have loved to have seen that at dawn, rather than dusk. But it's a good extended climb to get to the top and you've got to want it. The views out to your left are the reward as is the huge descent after it all the way down to Sospel. That forest track is probably vaguely exciting in daylight too...it was a bit of a blur in the dark.
- The climb after Sospel was almost my demise. My 4th col for the day and a suffering point for me - please leave it in so I can better it next time around.
- Leave in the Col de la Madone - it's the sting in the tail. Should be perhaps another mandatory piece in order to attain the patch.
- Make the cafe in Nice the finish point on the GPX in order to cap it off. Leave it where it is already for a more AW-stylee feeling of "is that it?" I'd be interested to know how many folks went right out to the end of the track, as I foolishly did. Purple line fever had taken hold by that point.

Leave the climbing a surprise. Just tell us it will be horrible...we'll be back! In a way, I'm glad I went with maps that carried no contour lines. 100% surprise every day; wingin' it by default. Is there anything bigger than Agnel that could perhaps be added? Something >3K would be a highlight for many.

Greetz,

S.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks everyone so far .. great feedback, really appreciated. So this doesn't result in a lot of quoted and replied posts about each opinion on each section from me, I'm reading all this and paying attention .. :-bd .. Please keep it coming. No intention to mess with the route or format too much, just want to hear of everyone's experiences before starting any work on improving the route file accuracy, smoothing out a couple of wrinkles etc over the winter.

re another route, Chew, totally agree with you, I'm not one for repeating longer routes either. But this one is different somehow, maybe I just love the area and after many rides there I get the urge to return. Also although it's tough, it doesn't beat me up like some routes and there's time to look around, it's the location over the ride technicality etc. Just my justification to be happy to intend to ride the route yearly, for a while anyway : )

Ian, Pistonbroke, I've noted the Spain and Pyrenees potential, following a few riders and a brand in that area on twitter/instagram and have marked out a few sections that look interesting. But I've only ridden there briefly (something I want to change asap) when starting the Camino Frances route a few years ago so I just don't have the knowledge of the area to make a good route, would be more for a tour sometime to have a look around. I toured around Spain and Portugal with Nat this summer (motor-powered, not on bikes) and noted some more areas that looked good, especially toward mid-northern Portugal and along the northern areas not far south of the Camino Frances line. Would love to ride there again. So count me in if you do something similar .. Just tell me when+where the start is!

-edit-comments about another route idea removed for the good of my own focus in life!-
Is there anything bigger than Agnel that could perhaps be added? Something >3K would be a highlight for many.
You can go over the Bonnette as some did this year (2800+), or off-road you can get over 3000m in places, would need a fair bit of re-routing and probably MTB only. There is an extension to the Assietta / Finestre but 2850m or so on dirt and rubble might have been a bit much after that 'entry qualification' 1st climb!

Re patches, I do feel that they should be available to anyone whatever route you ride as that's part of what makes the rally different from single-line events, plus it's the only commercial aspect I'm comfortable with, just raises money for Smart Shelter (total to be totted up and confirmed next week). I like the brevet card idea though, ties in with something else that I hope will work out.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Couple of thoughts.

I'll preface this by saying that the route was fantastic and we had an amazing time out there. No regrets whatsoever. If there were any low moments, they were solely because of us as riders and in no way a failing of the route.

However, I still think it was just a little bit col heavy. Once you hit the Columbardo, it seemed pretty relentless up or down. In some ways I was pretty relieved for the high military road sections because they were the flowing, undulating sections (partly because there was nowhere left to go upwards). If there were any use of a nice running valley/low section in the middle of the course I don't think that would be such a bad thing. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be the one to pick a col to miss out and I'm not sure the terrain there lends itself to that kind of routing.

If you do change the route between those two points, I'd suggest a more defined long/short split coming up after day 1 so that riders can make that decision based on time available/fitness and still meet up with more riders further down the road. The social aspect was great but being at the back as we were, we lost contact with the bulk of riders very early on. For those not going for a time, a regrouping before making a run on Nice would, I think, make a nice touch.

If you're looking for alternative locations, the Italian, Austrian border is also riddled with track passes and some military roads that could make for a good route. I think the Timmelsjoch would make for a good substitute for the Agnel
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Again, well done and many thanks on a great route James, and for aranging such amazing weather too. The cue sheets were invaluable too.

For me, the Assietta, Gardetta push, Tende hundred bends descent and the Turini off road climb & road descent were the highlights, but it was just vaguely exciting around every single corner.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

pistonbroke wrote: What all this rambling is leading up to is that I think there is plenty of scope for a similar event to Torino-Nice in Spain and given my 10 years of organising Trailquest events in mid Wales, admittedly 10 years ago, I'd be willing to put together something next year. Clearly access to transport links to the UK is a key element, Spain is definitely not short of airports served by budget carriers. Once I've fleshed this out, I'll put a post up similar to this one.
Interesting. Sounds more MTB focussed than drop-barred 1.5"-tyred adventure bike accessible? I haven't ridden my aging 26er since I got the Arkose, but with a bit of TLC it might be up to it. I'll keep an eye out for your thread :-bd
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Hi James

First of all, massive congratulations on an incredible route. My first instinct was to say that it is what it is. It’s part of what I love about the nature of these rides. There are tough bits, and there are those moments that make every effort worthwhile. I’ve got some unforgettable memories from the route… and the vast majority are good.

The points of feedback are very minor in comparison to the scale of the endeavour. In no particular order:

-The cues were superb and offered enough detail to make fairly informed decisions about when are where to stop, but didn’t strip away the sense of discovery and the odd surprise of a little café or water tap.
-The various options were useful and as we were on a tight schedule to get to Nice for Saturday, allowed us to make an informed decision to avoid the hike-a-bike, but also leaves me wanting to go back next year.
-The road descent off the Sampeyre was simply some of the best tarmac riding I’ve ever had. I’ve no regrets missing out that gravel section, and would probably do the same next year.
-I loved Little Peru. It was one of the more challenging parts of the ride, and most rewarding in terms of views (especially as the sun set). The final HAB/technical descent before the road was the only time I cursed you the entire ride, especially as it was entirely avoidable! Keep it in 
-Equally, Col Turini was a wonderful climb. It had a very different feel to the others, and I enjoyed knowing that it was the last true ‘biggie’ of the route. We rode it at sunset/sunrise and the views were mindblowing.
-We had to take the short option to Nice from there, as Jon got violently ill the night before. It’s actually a very pleasant descent and, were it not for the nagging feeling of being ‘off-route’ I’d have enjoyed it even more. It might be worth including as a GPX for anyone who has an ‘oh crap, I need to be at the airport by lunch’ moment.
-The options for supply pre-Turini are perhaps a bit overstated. We kept on moving through villages, expecting there to be more available before turning off. Were it not for some trail kindness from ZeroDarkBivy, we’d have had a depressing back-track or an epic getting over the top.
-I already know at least 5-10 people who are keen to ride it next year. It would be great to see at least one more running. After whetting the public’s appetite, I’m sure there are many that will appreciate it. While there’s always an ITT option, there’s something special about a group start.
-Every rider obviously takes responsibility for their own comfort/safety, but it is probably worth re-iterating in the notes that there is every chance of snow and sub-zero temps on the passes at any time of year, let alone September. We were incredibly lucky to stay dry and relatively warm.
-I love that it was the kind of ride that the numbers do no justice to. The kms and the altitude metres don’t tell the tale of how hard it felt at times, or how entertaining it was to ride.
-I wasn’t organised enough to order a patch beforehand. If there is another run, or if you have any spare, I’d love to buy one. No worries if not though 
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

Just to add to my previous comment about Gorbio being one climb too many for me. Having read others' comments I'm thinking now that it would be best to keep the route to La Turbie as is, but to maybe have an optional shortcut gpx from Sospel akin to those from Sampeyre and Tende, so that those running behind schedule or just aching to finish can take the road climb up Braus and head straight to Nice.
gairym

Post by gairym »

James,

+1 on the congratulations and thanks for putting together such a great route and event.

I wouldn't change a thing about it and am planning on being there next year (and bloody finishing next time round).

Don't get me wrong, I hated you, myself and bikes at many points along the way but that's to be expected.

I'll certainly be riding a tyre with a little more volume next time but other than that my bike was spot on too (it was just me that let me down).

As for other 'X to Y Rallies', they all sound great and the more the merrier but there's nowt wrong with this one continuing to be a regular event in my opinion.

The only thing that could be improved would be the attitude of many of the cafe and restaurant owners along the route as I thought it was just France that had such grumpy and unhelpful proprietors but Italy more than pulled it's weight on that department this time.

Nice one and see you all there next time.....
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cyclingtiger, good points, particularly the early-mid 'catch up' option, nothing jumps out but I'll keep looking. Not a lot of flat ground there, almost none if you avoid major roads. I agree, I savored those easier rolling sections higher up. Cost of entry there is just high, a lot of climbing. The road toward the Col des Peas is lovely and flat though .. ; )

Tom, thanks, well put and persuades me to do absolutely bugger all. I probably won't, but, yes .. and weather and Turini food cues, noted. Can get you a patch next week, just email.

Gairy, was sorry to hear that you turned back and look forward to buying you 2 year's rides worth of beer in Nice next year :-bd Agreed about one being enough. Rallys I mean, not beers.

Laurence, agreed on that last option GPX, the Turbie to Nice alternate wasn't much of a shortcut as what many could have used is a Tende Bail-Out GPX. That's what we did, Roya valley-Col Brois-Sospel-Col Braus-Nice. You could do that in a relatively easy day and be at Cafe du Cycliste before closing. Easy route-finding up until last 15km. There's also a Demonte-Vinadio-Col de la Lombarde / Isola 2000 then a long descent to Nice past Colomars as an earlier bail-out.

And thanks for the thanks, it's appreciated. Just pleased that everyone got some good riding and memories from (most of) it.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I enjoyed this ride more than anything else I have done in recent years, so probably not much wrong with it that needs tampering with! I particularly liked the fact that there are 'options' at various stages, and I don't think there would be any benefit on having a compulsory HAB section just for the sake of it. If it is the only way of accessing a remote trail/descent, then game on, but not just for some forced suffering...!

I think I took a similar uncharted bail-out road for the last 60km or so into Nice as you did, and whilst it wasn't particularly difficult to navigate, a GPS option avoiding the busier roads into Nice (that I eventually got sucked into) would be useful.

A Sunday or Monday start would have allowed an extra day or two to do the longer option (without needing to take extra leave), but I expect there may be reasons for that I am unaware of.

Once again, big thanks for all the effort that went into making this such a great ride.
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Thanks James. I'll drop you a mail later. No hurries posting it out.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Interesting. Sounds more MTB focussed than drop-barred 1.5"-tyred adventure bike accessible? I haven't ridden my aging 26er since I got the Arkose, but with a bit of TLC it might be up to it. I'll keep an eye out for your thread :-bd
Not really MTB focussed, I'm aiming to create a route that would be similar to what I've read and seen of the Turin-Nice as far as type of bike is concerned. I did most of my training for the CAT700 on a Dirty Disco with 40mm tyres front and rear. I nearly rode the event on it but I'm glad I didn't as the section through the Pyrenees was steeper than I could have managed with a 34/32 bottom gear. However the event was won by a guy on a Trek monster-crosser with drop bars.
At this point in time, I'm thinking that starting or finishing at Reus/Tarragona airport has several attractions, not least that it is rural and has great riding in the Priorat and Montsant areas straight from the door. Jet2, Thomson, Ryanair and Thomas Cook all use it between Easter and the end of October. Last week I flew there from Manchester for £37. I'd be interested in opinions about whether a circular or point to point route is preferred and the sort of distance/duration that suits.
That's enough hijacking, I'll start studying the maps and post something soon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just a bump for reference for the 2nd TNR. From P4 of this thread.
jameso wrote:
Have people checked which trains their journeys will be using as most TGV trains in France don't allow bikes.
What's your experience over from there Gairy, is it all a bit variable? So far just been looking at the Paris-Turin or Nice legs, not detail of Nice-Turin. TGV appears to take packed bikes though.

Had a couple of emails from people looking at this option and it seems a goer from Paris to Turin, or Nice to Paris, ie bikes can go. Yet I've seen info saying no bikes on the Eurostar south of Grenoble (I think, from memory) (and is that same as TGV?) or that bikes have to go in a 120x90mm max box, ie possible for most bikes but that's not a std bike box proportion/size.

from the TGV site - http://tgv.uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/trains/tgv/services
Some TGV trains have special storage spaces for fully assembled bikes. Expect to pay around £10 per space. Bike spaces can only be reserved via our call centre and must be reserved at the same time as booking your ticket.
Alternatively, you can take your bike in a bike bag free of charge, so long as it is no bigger than 120x90cm. This will count towards your luggage allowance.
This is what one chap mailed to say he'd found out -

TGV from Paris to Turin is going to be around 40 Euros bikes are allowed as long as pedals off, handle bars are turned and wheels off, then into a lightweight zipped bag, (plastic bag).
TGV from Nice to Paris is same as above.

Sounds OK, agrees with this here -

from http://help.uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/taking-your-bike
"It is not possible to take your bike on all types of trains. Check that the service is available. More details are available in the following sections:"

Between London and Paris on the Eurostar, the bike goes via a seperate forwarding company. Time permitting I was thinking of getting a train from Nice to Paris then riding to the ferry then riding home .. just S of Calais is some great riding countryside.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

I took the train from Nice to Paris last year. The TGV was out but the Intercity Night Train takes up to 6 fully assembled bikes, with riders sharing the adjoining 6-berth couchette. Be warned it's a long, slow journey though..