2016 Highland Trail route.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

larsmars

Re: 2016 Highland Trail route.

Post by larsmars »

Thanks for the tip on Trackleaders. I should have thought of that. Helpful guide for estimating progress. If Ian was there that late, I best plan to pass through there sometime on day 3! :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The track leaders archive is an interesting bit of homework as it gives a good indication of likely stopping points. The speed that Phil Simcock rattled round the various bits is quite interesting....

Its also worth sussing out the bits where you can't camp / bivvy as much as spots where you can as this can make for crucial decisions on whether to stop or push on. Bits of glen golly look ideal to camp on the geograph images but were saturated swamp when I passed last year. You could stop next to the An Dubh Loch just before the final push up to the bealach horn however
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

There are a bunch of spots close by the power station after Duchally in Glen Cassley. My girlfriend and I found one big enough for a Shangri La 3.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

larsmars wrote:Thanks for the tip on Trackleaders. I should have thought of that. Helpful guide for estimating progress. If Ian was there that late, I best plan to pass through there sometime on day 3! :-bd
No worries. I only know as I've spent too long looking at the dots and thinking about what is heading my way!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

This looks like a shot of the barn - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4123962
That's very much a working barn - obviously in use for wood cutting last year. I stopped there for a brew and to warm up after a morning crossing of the Northern Loop.
peat hags........in the dark.......
Shiver me timbers.......a situation to avoid
There are a bunch of spots close by the power station after Duchally in Glen Cassley
This was my night 2, for better or worse.......

What htrider wrote about looking where would not be good to stop for the night is very sound advice (in general - not referring to the above power station). I'd always avoid that N Loop in the dark, for instance.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

On a slightly different tack but still relevant - I hope.
I was once nearly stuck in Ullapool area because petrol stations were not open on Sundays.
What is open by way of cafes, chippies, petrol stations and other re supply shops on Sundays now?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mariner wrote:On a slightly different tack but still relevant - I hope.
I was once nearly stuck in Ullapool area because petrol stations were not open on Sundays.
What is open by way of cafes, chippies, petrol stations and other re supply shops on Sundays now?
If you do a search for "<place name> shops opening times" there's a few sites that list all the opening hours. I can't vouch for how up to date the info is :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Tescos is open Sundays and the cafe on the harbour front as well as various boozers will be open too. I take it this is for an ITT as if you hit Ullapool on the Sunday of the group start your either going very well or taking your time! :mrgreen:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

If asking about the sunday of the event, stuff will be open in Fort Augustus, and Contin stores. There are a couple of cafes and a hotel between them. Plus Oykel Bridge Hotel for dinner?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Sorry it was west coast generally.
Dont know if there are 'weefrees' areas any more.
When I was little the paper shop was open for about an hour on Sunday morning and that was it.
Generally nothing happened it was very Ivor Cutlerish.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Much better now, at least in the tourist season as people value profit over outdated religous values :grin: you can even get boats to and from the western isles on a sunday these days, its a miracle they haven't been struck by lightning! That said there are a few petrol stations in the northwest (Gairloch, Ricconich, Achnasheen for eg) that are shut on Sundays which once lead me to push a rather large motorcycle from the edge of Contin to the garage after having coasted from just by the waterfalls at the top of the hill on the Ullapool road....
kdecker34

Post by kdecker34 »

Hello group. One of the other Americans here. Currently working through some logistics as we are a few months out and I am planning my travel. Most of my questions have been answered by the internet, but I would appreciate a little extra advice.

Lodging before/after ride - I see there are plenty of camping/hostel/bed & breakfast options in Tyndrum. Is there an obvious preferred choice that is friendly to HT riders about storing a bike box and some belongings while the rider is away?

I feel like I should have a list, but that's really my only main question mark for now. Been lurking on the thread for months, thanks for all the great intel.

Happy training!
Kenny
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

My first question would be how you're intending to get your bike box to Tyndrum? If you're passing through Glasgow Airport, the Holiday Inn will look after it if you stay there and it's a lot easier to travel with just a bike and no bike box.

I always stay at the Pine Trees caravan park in a hiker hut but I've never asked about leaving belongings. I can't see it being a problem though.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

In previous years people flying into Glasgow airport have stayed a night at the Holiday Inn (Express?) and left bike boxes with them. I've given a few riders a lift from there. Once in Tyndrum they've mostly stayed at the Tyndrum Inn. I can give up to two people a lift from Glasgow airport if you will be there on Friday morning.
Quite a lot of riders stay at "By the Way" campsite in Tyndrum. It also offers a hostel and cabins if you want to stay out of the rain/midges for as long as possible.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Richpips wrote:Yay, Nik "never again" Kinloch is back. :grin:
Hey Rich! NEVER AGAIN!

:grin:

Seems time does heal all, and I am ready for another HTR beatdown :-bd

I have read this thread at least twice.

I am excited to do another attempt at this route (THIRD ATTEMPT) but I know that excitement needs tempered with reality of how hard this 'wee jaunt in the hills' is.

One hag at a time...

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

You'll be grand Nick....right?

Happy to see you back dude.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Does anyone know when the 2016 route GPX will be available?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I though Alan sent it out in November Ian before the entry date. I've got a copy if you want one.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I think there is a second version post-Nov that has a tiny alteration to the approach into Fisherfield. Alan has sent me it but I didn't receive the email with V2 so maybe worth just dropping him an email.

PS nice to see HT rising back up the BB forum - I thought everyone had forgotten about it!!!!
Any Cairngorm Loop banter?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks, I have a copy of the V2 file now from Alan. It was emailed on 25/1/16, but for some reason it didn't come through for me.

Looking at the route, smidgin shorter than 2015 then, but still a shed load of climbing. Apart from the change to the exit of Fisherfield and the new start section, Torridon appears not to have made the cut (even the 2013 version...) :|
Still, by that time along the route, I might be thankful :smile:
No change to the Inverbroom Cottages climb? I though there was a reroute through the forest to the south of the cottages, where a quad bike track appeared to come up through the woods from the bottom edge (partially visible on the aerial)?

Anyhow, overall, looks good and glad to be getting my head around it again :-bd
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I've been so busy I haven't had time to study the route at all, I really need to set aside some time for map nerdery.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pedal bike - push bike - pedal bike - push lots - curse at Alan - finish.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:[...]Torridon appears not to have made the cut (even the 2013 version...) :|[...]
Shame that... I guess one would get dq'd for riding the '15 section of Torridon?
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Doesn't the climb up by the Easan Dorcha and descent to Achnashellach count as Torridon?
Torridon lite maybe but some superb singletrack (up and down) and less hike-a-bike. A nice wee bothy too.
If anyone else didn't get the HT2016_V2 gpx track let me know and I'll send it to you.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

AlanG wrote:Doesn't the climb up by the Easan Dorcha and descent to Achnashellach count as Torridon?
Does to me.