Dirty Reiver: 200k UK Gravel event

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Re: Dirty Reiver: 200k UK Gravel event

Post by johnnystorm »

GregMay wrote:I'll be on the TD bike in cruise mode. 2.2 Saguaros...but with higher than normal pressure.
I did the same, not sure 2.4 xKings on 30mm rims fits the cx category.... :lol:

Anyhow, it was a great event. Very well organised, the route was very clearly marked, loads of marshalls, very well stocked feed stations and "starting in waves" meant no snarl ups or queuing on the trail. Now whether you want those things or not in your event is one thing but you can see where your entry has been spent. Nothing at all like the 700 riders into a singletrack bottleneck like on a Scott MTB marathon for example.

If you're thinking of doing it as an ITT/overnighter almost exactly at the halfway point (60 miles) there is a Nissen hut style building. It's seen better days and I can't vouch for it's interior but as a supplementary shelter it'd do!

I don't recall passing much in the way of Spars or pubs so you'll need to bring all the food, etc you need. Most of the water looked brackish at best too. :wink: There were a few very muddy bits but in the main it was a decent firm surface. Hopefully they'll run it again next year.

I made it round in 10hrs 25mins. Having arrived at the Travelodge at 12.30am and waking at 4.30am to get to the start I reckon I could do better with a bit more sleep. Why does Suffolk have to be so far from everywhere..... :roll: :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I'll give a better summary later, but this pretty much gives it all:

ImageDirty Reiver 200 by Greg.May, on Flickr

Great to meet so many of you in real life - even better to chat for a bit.

Thanks for all the kind words and so on. Jaw is feeling a lot better. And I can eat eggs now.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I had a bit of an interesting start to the DR200.

On the way home from work on Thursday I was assaulted on the canal. Front wheel kicked out, punched, repeatedly kicked in the head and face. Suffice to say, I was not 100% certain I was going to make the start. But with Jeff the editor from Grit.cx from Belgium flying in, and me having committed to driving him and Giles up - I felt like we should make this work. Plus, I was there to photograph the event and then write about it for the magazine.

The answer was drugs. Lots of drugs. And gels - 23 gels in total. I couldn't chew solids- still can't - only swallow gels and just about water and my own spittle. Go Team Greg.

Either way, we got up, I did a test ride figured loads of drugs may do it - if not, I'd ride the first 60km taking lots of photos and then bail back. 194km later I appear to have forgotten to stop riding.

Ace route, Paul has made a classic. Route is remote and a perfect example of that area. I loved it - despite having spent the day repeatedly overheating and cooling down taking photos (over an hour of stopped time just for that). I'll be back next year as a lead, hopefully, into the DK200.

Only worry is that I may have a fractured jaw - which would put an end to the Divide this year :|
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

It's an instant classic I reckon. Route was vaguely exciting, really out there and remote in paces.

I got home in 13:39, longest day I've had on a bike.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Great day out. Well organised. Lovely to catch up with people, and put names to faces.

Blog soon......

restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I saw you and Tom roll in to the 150km feed stop as I was leaving but conversation was beyond me at that point :)

Massive respect to him for finishing
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

GregMay wrote:I had a bit of an interesting start to the DR200.

On the way home from work on Thursday I was assaulted on the canal. Front wheel kicked out, punched, repeatedly kicked in the head and face.
That's absolutely shocking! I hope the person or persons responsible have been arrested. Hopefully it's not fractured. Or if it is your summer plans are not totally disrupted.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Justchris wrote:

On the way home from work on Thursday I was assaulted on the canal. Front wheel kicked out, punched, repeatedly kicked in the head and face.
That's absolutely shocking! I hope the person or persons responsible have been arrested. Hopefully it's not fractured. Or if it is your summer plans are not totally disrupted.

Thanks Chris, yeah, spoke to police and they are looking to help if they can. Being Stoic about the whole thing - if another rider hadn't turned up it could have been really, really bad.

Also, I was on my brand new bike...which I defended :)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sorry to hear about that Greg, hope your better soon and no disruption to long term plans.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Ray Young wrote:Sorry to hear about that Greg, hope your better soon and no disruption to long term plans.
Seconded from me, get well soon Greg, well done for riding so soon afterwards.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

almost exactly at the halfway point (60 miles) there is a Nissen hut style building
At 60 miles so a few miles after feed 2. Can't think where this is. Very curious.
In any case, on the route, you pass within a mile of Green bothy and when you're on the Border Trail you could have looked up to your right and seen the "garden" of Kershope bothy just a couple of hundred metres away. There is very little cattle etc around as you will have noticed but I'd still filter the stream water anyway.
In terms of food, you are right there are no Spars. At Stonehaugh there is only the village hall that is open for breakfast on Sunday mornings. On the dam you pass very close to Flastone where there is a pub and also a cafe that has a limited stick shop.
Well done for all for finishing and sorry to hear about Greg getting attacked and well done for getting up there and doing the whole thing.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote:
Justchris wrote:

Thanks Chris, yeah, spoke to police and they are looking to help if they can. Being Stoic about the whole thing - if another rider hadn't turned up it could have been really, really bad.

Also, I was on my brand new bike...which I defended :)

wondered how long it would be before some asked if the bike was ok :wink:

Glad you are too, I had a similar experience in Manchester many years ago, walking home when I lived on my boat in castlefield. Mugging at knife point which got a little physical. they didn't believe I had £2.36, no phone and no watch, and that there was a rotweiller guarding my boat (wasn't mine - just lived on the yard!)
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Finished clearing the course markings at 7pm - so cold out there today!
Well done folks - hardly any litter and not a single hint of abuse towards marshals (if you've ever marshalled, you'll know what I'm talking about).
Most of the (minority) litter was on the delightful descent to the road before feed 2. Four lots of pain killers - clearly bounced out of peoples packs, along with some zip lock bags of dodgy looking powder. Owt to do with you Greg?

Who wore out their brake pads?
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Really good event. I had a lot of fun. It did take me quite a long time to get round though.
Excellent day out. The mossy forests
Were great. The route was really well
Thought out and the marshals were super friendly.
Fun fun fun.
Grubby little urchin.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

almost exactly at the halfway point (60 miles) there is a Nissen hut style building
That would be here
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=35 ... 83102&lm=0

but as padonbike says, Kershopehead bothy is only 3-4Km NNE.
JezS

Post by JezS »

Superb event - big thanks to everyone involved in organising and the great marshals, and volunteers at the food stations.

Steady 12hrs for me with no punctures, mechanicals, "eaten" brake pads or other dramas and the mid afternoon blizzard added a nice touch of drama to the event....thanks for laying that on!

Jez
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

boxelder wrote:. Four lots of pain killers - clearly bounced out of peoples packs, along with some zip lock bags of dodgy looking powder. Owt to do with you Greg?
Hell no, all my drugs we're kept close to heart in my chest pocket. No way was I sharing them with any badgers.
boxelder wrote:Who wore out their brake pads?
Oddly, me. But more a case of accidental brake dragging setup on the rear. Still, didn't bother changing them until after.

Also, thanks all for the good wishes - off to dentist later for some x-rays and poking.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

off to dentist later for some x-rays and poking.
I wish my dentist offered that service - It'd make a check-up much more fun.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I avoided a repeat of my cambrian brake issues by putting fresh ones in the night before and carrying 3 sets of spare pairs..... naturally they were fine! Really quite impressed by the superstar sintered. The old ones were the oem finned shimano pads and not that badly worn, the new ones seemed to have loads more bite.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

'kin hell Greg, I heard about a guy grabbing a handful of gels at one feed stop and explaining about the possible broken jaw. Really hope they get the bastards.
Even more kudos to you for completing it. Did see you out there several times, but never really got talking.

Really happy to get round in a smidgen over 11hrs. Loaned Ridley X-Trail was fantastic, no pads needed, no punctures. I was feeling pretty broken by 150km so the last 50km was hard going. My longest single ride to date by 45miles!
Superb event, well run, great food stops and marshalling. Great course - felt properly isolated at times. Already discussed returning for next year.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

dr200#2 Needs to have a 'Hard as Greg' award
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

JustinF wrote:dr200#2 Needs to have a 'Hard as Greg' award
My wife gets that.

I'll let myself out.....

ImageIMGP1382.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

But yes, that was me smashing the gels in at each and every checkpoint. Surprisingly little gut reaction from the OTE gels the next day - as in none, no diarrhoea. Impressed.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'll give a better summary later, but this pretty much gives it all:
That could pass for Montana : )
GWS Greg, hope it's not getting in the way of good prep.

DR200 pics look good, great to see it worked out so well.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

That was tough.

Took me about 14 hours.

Route was really good and scenery was stunning.

That bit with the tree stumps marked with pink paint was 'interesting' in the dark! :roll:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

jameso wrote:
That could pass for Montana : )
GWS Greg, hope it's not getting in the way of good prep.
When I saw it - i dropped my bike and grabbed the DSLR out - brain was screaming "cover shot"

It's had a bit more editing now to clean it up, we will see :)