Cycle show disappointment

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

cycleofaddiction

Cycle show disappointment

Post by cycleofaddiction »

I went to the cycle show yesterday and was looking forward to seeing some bikepacking gear on show as it seems bikepacking is the hot topic in mtb inustry at the moment but apart from one or two bike's on the Surly & Rocky Mountain stands and a couple of all road/gravel bikes decked out in mostly Apidura bags for display purposes, that was it. I know that it's still a small niche but most makers are coming out with adventure bikes and plus sized mtb's which are being pitched at the bikepacking/endurance crowd but there were no reps for Apidura,alpkit or Wildcat gear from the UK or if they were i didn't see them.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Cycle show disappointment

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but there were no reps for Apidura,alpkit or Wildcat gear from the UK or if they were i didn't see them.
Possibly because it clashed with the Alpkit BSO? Also, just how much would a stand at the NEC cost? :shock:
I went to the cycle show yesterday and was looking forward to seeing some bikepacking gear on show as it seems bikepacking is the hot topic in mtb inustry at the moment but apart from one or two bike's on the Surly & Rocky Mountain stands and a couple of all road/gravel bikes decked out in mostly Apidura bags for display purposes, that was it. I know that it's still a small niche but most makers are coming out with adventure bikes and plus sized mtb's which are being pitched at the bikepacking/endurance crowd
I was having a long chat over the weekend with someone who works for a very well known bicycle magazine and he assures me that 90% of the UK bike press and cyclists in general, have no interest in bikepacking and really don't 'get it' at all ... so perhaps it's no real surprise. What seems quite normal and maybe even everyday to us, is largely an unknown to the majority.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Agree with Stu, think it is expensive and the BSO clash of course.

Went on Friday and agree with you regarding lack of touring side of things other than Ortleib. Had a good look at Ben Mansell's stainlessbike on the Starley stand that was kitted out with Restrap baggage. Thought it might be the magnetic attachment of the bags as handbuilt but it was just the usual strap attachment.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I have noticed an increase in popularity for our hobby lately, while alot of people dont 'get it' there's no doubting more people are atleast intrigued by the idea

At my local trail center yesterday I had a quick flick through MBUKmagazine while waiting and was suprised to notice an article on bikepacking showing a rigid 29er and an assortment of Alpkit and wildcat goodies (and a link to this forum too). Which was nice to see
As well as GMBN talking about it on their show and joking about "sandwhich shaped" framebags, they didn't understand it but the acknowledgment was still nice to see

And considering how popular alpkit and wildcat are among us, and ofcourse relevate being one of the original names, how come all these shows and displays show bikes decked in Apidura kit? Seems to be the only company with a budget for commercial advertising and publicity
atk

Post by atk »

HaYWiRe wrote:And considering how popular alpkit and wildcat are among us, and ofcourse relevate being one of the original names, how come all these shows and displays show bikes decked in Apidura kit? Seems to be the only company with a budget for commercial advertising and publicity
Distribution through Ison probably has something to do with it...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Distribution through Ison probably has something to do with it...
Beaten to it ^ :wink:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

That's fairly recent though.

Apidura only make those bags so all of their marketing spend goes on that product.

Alpkit for example make/source a range of products so the marketing spend will be spread across this range.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Apidura only make those bags so all of their marketing spend goes on that product.
Nearly every bike shop across the land will have an account with Ison though. That and the fact that Apidura are very good at handing kit out to riders likely to receive media coverage, makes me think that's why we're seeing lots of their kit out there.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

The first time I heard of Apidura was after they provided bags to Mike Hall, Juliana Buhring and Kristoff Allegaert getting a lot of publicity straight off. I went to the start of the TCR this year and Apidura easily dominated the baggage on the riders bikes. I understand that Apidura founder Tori, was also volunteering at one of the controls.

They also employ a PR person.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Perhaps the Bristol show is much more up your street for niche products?

From what I've seen of both shows (only from media), the Birmingham show will cater for the mass market and the Bristol show for the bearded weirdos (and whatever the female equivalent is! )
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've not got any Apidura product, nor am I affiliated to them

Is there approach bad? It's what all big products are doing, they're simply doing the same. I'm all up for them doing it, especially if it increases awareness of bikepacking. It's the Intersection of a number of niches
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Nearly every bike shop across the land will have an account with Ison though.

This explains why I can buy Apidura off the shelf in LBS. Any other brand I have to buy online.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Wildcat Gear is available through some bike shops. We're trying to build the dealer list so there's good coverage across the country. From little acorns and all that :smile:

Any bike shops reading can get in touch via the Wildcat website if you'd like to stock some UK made Bikepacking gear :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Any signs of the 2016 Salsa range or have Raleigh just given up?

I wasn't so sure Ison did a great marketing job but they're everywhere in comparison.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote:Any signs of the 2016 Salsa range or have Raleigh just given up?

I wasn't so sure Ison did a great marketing job but they're everywhere in comparison.
Called up Raleigh over a month ago to chat about salsa, they took my details to pass onto the rep and haven't heard back!

Noticed from Paul Errington's photo feed from the bicycle show, Apidura managed to make it on CSG's bikes! Now that's either cheeky, clever or they're moving distributor....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:Any signs of the 2016 Salsa range or have Raleigh just given up?

Called up Raleigh over a month ago to chat about salsa, they took my details to pass onto the rep and haven't heard back!

Noticed from Paul Errington's photo feed from the bicycle show, Apidura managed to make it on CSG's bikes! Now that's either cheeky, clever or they're moving distributor....
Same experience as my LBS, "we'll get back to you....." cue Radio silence.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Least it'll give everyone time to save up :roll:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote:
voodoo_simon wrote:

Same experience as my LBS, "we'll get back to you....." cue Radio silence.
I wouldn't mind but I work in a bicycle shop!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Be a good chap and call them everyday at the same time and ask the same question. They'll get back to you eventually. And tweet to Salsa everytime you get fobbed off.

I did notice Charlie was listing the 2016 Beargrease X5.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I'm having an "I told you so" moment over Salsa at the moment.

Also, as Stu said - we're a niche, and even a niche that the small press (lets be honest about what MTB printed press is) doesn't need/want to cover in most cases. Which, in some ways, is not a bad thing. Even if it does put food on my plate writing about it sometimes.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Ian wrote:Wildcat Gear is available through some bike shops. We're trying to build the dealer list so there's good coverage across the country. From little acorns and all that :smile:

Any bike shops reading can get in touch via the Wildcat website if you'd like to stock some UK made Bikepacking gear :-bd
Pleasantly surprised to see Wildcat stocked in 559 in Chepstow, first shop I've seen them in. Right at the front of the shop when you walk in too :smile:
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I was having a long chat over the weekend with someone who works for a very well known bicycle magazine and he assures me that 90% of the UK bike press and cyclists in general, have no interest in bikepacking and really don't 'get it' at all ... so perhaps it's no real surprise. What seems quite normal and maybe even everyday to us, is largely an unknown to the majority.
That is true.
Alpjay

Post by Alpjay »

Hey cycleaddiction,

I work at Alpkit - The cycle show did clash with the Big Shakeout, which hopefully won't be the case next year, but the price is also rather high, £150 - £200 per square metre, plus electric, plus wifi cost. So you can imagine the cost before you add accommodation, meals, staffing etc.!!

Hope this helps a little, we do go to smaller events such as the York Cycle Rally and others, keep an eye on the Alpkit site for the next events.

Jay
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I used to love MTBing before all the trail centres were built. One good thing I find is that the trail centres keep most MTBers away from the really good parts of an area.

I feel that bikepacking brings a bit of what I used to experience years ago back to me. It was what I felt MTBing used to be about.

So I might be a bit selfish but I hope that bikepacking does not get too popular/mainstream and remains a strange odd MTBing branch for odd strange people, like me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So I might be a bit selfish but I hope that bikepacking does not get too popular/mainstream and remains a strange odd MTBing branch for odd strange people, like me.
I wrote this a while ago, I think it explains how things are and why we've no need to worry :wink:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... rally.html