Lakeland 200

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

snack_ie

Lakeland 200

Post by snack_ie »

Hi there,

Thinking of giving this route a go the weekend after next if the weather is OK.

Aim would be to do it over two days & stay in a hostel. Just bring change of clothes, wallet, lights etc

Is most of it ride able or would you expect a lot of it to be a quackmire if the weather is bad?

Both of us are experience MTBers and done a lot of long days in the saddle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Niall
whitestone

Re: Lakeland 200

Post by whitestone »

Not done the whole route myself but have done most of it on various rides. In general it's fairly weather proof being mostly on stone tracks. I can think of a couple of sections that will be boggy: the traverse from the Walna Scar track towards Stephenson Ground can get very damp, I don't think I've ever got across it dry foot either on bike or walking; the bridleway from Dunnerdale to Eskdale can also be a bit on the squelchy side :| ; the northern part of the High St ridge can also be hard going once the ground is sodden.

The main bit I don't know is the convoluted bit around Boot in Eskdale, I've never had reason to use those tracks.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Most of it wont be too soft afte rain although there are a few sections which will!

Lots of it is rideable but there is some seriously long hike a bike sections with big climbs in.

It's rideable to Walna scar (the road at the start is the steepest bit!) and boggy up top over into duddon valley. Past harter fell is soft at the top and the next club out of eskdale will be too.

You will then have the tough section from wasdale head to borrow dale followed by an easier run into Keswick. About 130km in.

The yha there has a bike shed and would be a good place to stay, the borrow dale one is a short detour off route earlier on.
The second day is a bit lumpy too!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

As Ian & Whitestone said, it's good going till you get over Walna Scar, the next section after the quarries is always wet.
There's also some quite large ruts that maybe hidden by undergrowth, especially if you miss the turning to Stephenson Ground & end up heading down towards Natty Bridge.
Again as above, the section after the fire road ends at Harter Fell is also boggy & you'll be taking the bike for a walk on this bit.
The section in Eskdale is good, there's also a good couple of places to eat here, Brook House (ideally would need to book) & Boot Inn being the obvious ones. There's also the Woolpack Inn a bit further up the road. If for any reason you're delayed they serve pizza here till at least 10.00. They also have a small camping area at the side with some toilet/washing facilities.
The next section over Burnmoor Tarn can also be boggy & there's multiple tracks to choose from, just keep heading in the right direction & you'll be fine.
There's a tap round the back of the Wasdale Inn if you need to fill up with water.
After this is when the proper hike-a-bike starts, if you're tired &/or running out of light i'd seriously think about staying where you are till the morning (or back in Eskdale), there's only Blacksail yha between here & Buttermere.
The going from Buttermere, through Keswick & Threlkeld is also good, although beware of the slippy rocks & long drop under Lonscale Fell. There's been at least one fatality here.
The Old Coach Road can be wet, although it's more big puddles than boggy.
The top of Boredale Hause is a short scramble.
The next 'interesting' section is the hike up the Knott after Hartsop, this could be a bit slippy if there's been rain previously.
The 3 rivers after Kentmere can be a bit wet, but i doubt by this time you'll care as you'll be so close to the end (if you're starting from Staveley) :grin:

I'd really recommend that you take some sort of shelter, especially if you've never ridden in the area much before. If starting from Staveley you will be starting to feel it sometime after Eskdale where you'll be starting to get into probably the hardest section of the route & the least populated.

Blacksail yha would be a good place to stay, although it'd be essential to book as it's only small & is almost always full at the weekend- http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/black-sail

I also wouldn't even begin to contemplate this route if the forecast is bad..

Good luck! :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Some good advice above.

The only thing I'd add is take lights and set off early. Getting round in two days using available daylight could be a challenge this time of year.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Remember you don't have to start from Staveley. If you start from Coniston and overnight in Pooley Bridge the difficult sections come earlier both days and you get the easy, fun trails between Ambleside and Coniston at the end.
snack_ie

Post by snack_ie »

Cheers guys,

Some brilliant advice in here and exactly what I require.

Not done any real mountain biking in the Lake District (apart from Whinlatter which I know won't be comparable) but done some serious walking so have some idea of what to expect.

I don't plan on biting off more than I can chew, and if we have to resort to road etc / abandoning sections then will do & wont try and anything stupid.

Will be bringing lights too for sure.

If I have some more q's in time I might post them up them up here, other just need my mate to sort himself and & we are good to go and keep the fingers crossed for the weather as not attempting if it looks pants!

Will post up a write up here if it goes ahead!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Pooley Bridge has a bridge again (washed away by storm Desmond). L200 doable without a long detour or deep river crossing.
:-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Tom and I had a go at this a couple of days ago. The weather on day 2 ruled out going over the tops. Notable though was how boggy Stephensons ground and near Burnmoor tarn towards Wasdale was compared to the time I did it in 2014.

The bit of bog to the L of Harter Fell has been drained. :-bd
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

While everyone was getting excited about it's new baby brother, someone completed the Lakeland 200 on Sunday.
Justin Atkinson made use of the near perfect conditions to do a very fast time of 19hrs 9mins. His prize is a place on the HT group start in 2017.
Last year saw no "official" completions, hopefully this is the first of many this summer.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Great time, really great.

I've a plan for sometime after I get back from the TD to have a go. Will let you know closer to the time :)
ajf

Post by ajf »

Had a go at this over the last couple of days. A great route! Really varied trails and quite an epic for my first time riding in the Lakes. I have run and raced there for years but first time ever I was sat on a bike.

Got last train up to Appleby in Westmoreland on Sunday then biked onto the tops near Pooley Bridge and set off from there Monday first light. Overnight just before Stephensons Ground once over Walna Scar Road.

I did not have a proper gps (only a track logger) with me so a lot of stopping and checking map and a few route errors. Some major, some minor but all added to the distance. Also meant this was never going to be a registered attempt. Total of 39 hours 19 mins and my detours meant the route was 243km with 7085m of climbing according to Strava. Plus the extra 50km to the train and back.

Could shave off a load of time if I didn't keep stopping for map checks and went the right way using a GPS. Also knowing the trails a bit and knowing what is coming up would be a massive advantage. But 16 hours fastest time?? Thats really just insane!