Large sleeping mat options.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Large sleeping mat options.....

Post by gairym »

Following on from Stuarts Anyone use a Mammut Mat thread (but not wanting to highjack) I've got a query.....

NOTE: This thread CANNOT be allowed to turn into another behemoth of a conversation where-by I go round and round in circles for weeks on end mulling over the myriad of different choices until loosing the will to live!

I'm looking to get some quick info, make a choice and be done with it.

So.....here's where I'm at:

I recently bought a POE Peak Elite AC 2/3 mat and it's simply not big enough for me.

It's light, warm and REALLY comfortable but it's just not wide enough for me (although weirdly I don't mind the length as I just stuff my rucksack and a drybag with some clothes in it under my feet and they're fine).

Keep an eye out in the 'Classifield' section in the coming days for a bargain!

This all means that I'm on the market for a new mat.

Here's my wish-list for the new mat:
  • Wide (the Peak Elite AC is 51cm wide and something more in the +60cm region)

Warm (an R rating of over 2 and ideally even higher)

Light (ideally under 500g)

Comfortable

Not too expensive (i.e. under 80 quid - am happy to buy used or search around for a bargain)
The one thing I am not concerned about is pack size as I can whack it in my (quite big) rucksack or even strap it on the back of the my bag if it's really big!

Any thoughts....?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Large sleeping mat options.....

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh I feel your pain ... why does no one make a wider mat that isn't 2m long and weighs the same as a small child?

As you know I've been looking at Mammut mats (still undecided) and they sort of tick my wish/want list apart from weight. There's also very little info about them on the net ... even Mammuts own site is poor.

This one ALMOST fits your requirements but it's still only 55cm wide.
http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountai ... cm/12045/p
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

yeah, it's wider than what i have now but not by much???

i've just been thinking about the idea of modular system:

1. an Exped Airmat Basic Ultralite 7.5 (355g and £35.00 from http://www.theoutdoorshop.com)

coupled with.....

2. a Thermarest 'Ridge-rest SoLite' (540g and £20-40 online)

this would give me a semi-light (895g), comfortable (air and closed-cell), durable (the Thermarest is bomb-proof), warm (dual layered equalling an R rating of 3.5 together) set-up that is within my budget (£55.00-£75.00).

the only possible problem i can see is that the cheap Exped is the Reg size and so i'd have the top layer with 52cm width and the bottom layer with 63cm.

ideally i'd be able to find a cheap LW size Exped somewhere (and all my problems would be solved) - any ideas where from....?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

IMO the trouble with the modular concept is the fact that your air mat is still only narrow so you'll still roll off it ... how about one of the following. All listed here - http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/prodpage. ... sub=150123

Thermarest Trail lite L - R3.4 - 1150g - 196x63x3.8cm £50

Thermarest Pro lite L - R2.2 - 630g - 196x63x2.5cm £65

Thermarest Pro lite Plus L - R3.4 - 940g - 196x63x3.8cm £70
gairym

Post by gairym »

agreed (unless i magically find the LW somewhere for a good price - which i can't).
s8tannorm wrote:Thermarest Pro lite L - R2.2 - 630g - 196x63x2.5cm £65
this looks like it could be the winner!

thanks fella, this could be my fastest kit-search ever???

all we need now is someone to come along now and throw a spanner in the works by suggesting something completely different (most likely needed me to rethink my sleeping bag choice).

:?
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

hammock?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

You know he makes sense. ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now, now fellas ... you know I'm not adverse to swinging in the trees but you've got to admit that if you're looking for reduced pack size and weight, then a hammock isn't really the best choice*

*Unless it's blistering hot ... then it makes much more sense ;)
gairym

Post by gairym »

valleydaddy wrote:hammock?
flatfishy wrote:You know he makes sense. ;)
back before discovering that there was such a thing as 'bikepacking' all of my trips involved me just throwing my hammock, sleeping bag and tarp in my rucksack and spending the night out in the forest at the end of a long ride.

i've been doing that for years but.....my recent kit buying has been centred around my upcoming TransAlp trip and i'll be sleeping above the tree-line then and so the hammock idea is a non-starter i'm afraid.

nice try though!
gairym

Post by gairym »

or.....

how about this???
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

how about this???
Well, that would be your lightest and most packable option ... I wasn't aware they made a NeoAir with added girth ;)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ok, I've almost decided (in that i'm going to go for one of the Thermarest mats: either for the Prolite Long/Wide or the Neoair Torso/Wide) but I've got one more question......

Stuart, what's making you lean towards the Mammut mats?

As far as I can see (form reading spec's) either of the two options above seem to make more sense (for your £) but maybe I'm overlooking something?

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers, Gairy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stuart, what's making you lean towards the Mammut mats?
Couple of reasons really ...

1/ I sleep on my side so find with a thinner mat my hip/shoulder ends up in the floor. The Mammut's plenty thick enough at 7.5mm to stop this. It also has a foam core (rather than just being air filled) I figure that'll make it warmer and maybe comfier.

2/ It's taken me years to work out that I need some kind of pillow to sleep well ... The drybag stuffed with clothes works okay for a single night ;) I bought a cheap self inflating pillow and it was much better but the bloody thing moves around all night, it's also not very deep. I sleep better with quite a thick pillow, something around 6" deep suits best. The Mammut has a kind of in-built pillow, it also has ties to attach another type of pillow if you wish ... I'm thinking I may just be able to get my 6" thick pillow :) It's also nice and wide at 65cm which is a bonus. It's not the lightest thing in the world (780g) and won't pack up anywhere near as small as other mats but I really want to find something that lets me sleep something like ;)
gairym

Post by gairym »

which Mammut mat were you talking about as I can't find one that's 63cm wide and only 780g???
gairym

Post by gairym »

ahhh.....i think i see the issue.

the Reg size Comfort Pump mat is 780g (but only 55cm wide) but the 65cm wide Lrg size is 980g.

hmmm.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yea sorry gairy you're right ... I just looked at the figures without putting my brain into gear ;) I'm still willing to take the hit on weight though, I've carried much worse.
gairym

Post by gairym »

s8tannorm wrote:Yea sorry gairy you're right ... I just looked at the figures without putting my brain into gear ;) I'm still willing to take the hit on weight though, I've carried much worse.
yeah, i think i'd be willing to take that hit for what is, essentially, a portable sofa - it looks SOOO comfy.

(obviously not in any kind of race situation)

how about price?

the cheapest i've found it online is €120/£100 - you got any magical sale link to somewhere selling it for a tenner?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

the cheapest i've found it online is €120/£100 - you got any magical sale link to somewhere selling it for a tenner?
No sorry ... it's an expensive thing.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Gairy, surely that Neoair Trekker Torso fits the bill perfectly?
gairym

Post by gairym »

Anthony wrote:Gairy, surely that Neoair Trekker Torso fits the bill perfectly?
It does (or the Neoair Trekker Large if I wanted full-length) but I'd be lying if I said that there's not something very appealing about the idea of sleeping in ridiculous comfort.

I think I'm set on the Neoair but if I could find the Mammut for cheaper I'm sure I'd be tempted.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gairy, surely that Neoair Trekker Torso fits the bill perfectly?
I've got to agree ... it certainly fits your criteria at the start of the thread. I on the otherhand am fast approaching old man status, so need a little help ;)