Area help please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Area help please

Post by JohnClimber »

Planning a bivi trip to Clocaenog Forest in 3 weeks time
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... ?f=8&t=562

But a mate has just ridden there and said that it's really boggy. Someone else who know's it very well has also told me it gets very boggy if it's been wet.

So, if it's wet the week before we'll go elsewhere, but the question is where's suitable if it's been wet the week before that's only an hour from the Manchester/Chester/Liverpool area?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Area help please

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Peak District would be my choice ... too much rock for there to be much mud about.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

s8tannorm wrote:Peak District would be my choice ... too much rock for there to be much mud about.
i 2nd that!

the only 'but' i'd say is that you've got to be careful with your route choice in the Peaks as there're some long sections of serious peat-boginess if you choose the wrong path.

how long you thinking you want to ride?

if you were to head over Woodhead Pass there's a great trail up out of Langsett which heads over to Derwent Resv (a stinker of a technical, rocky, twisty climb and then a doozy of a descent) and then you've got options.....

(as far as i remember) the route up and over from Derwent to either Edale or Hope is mostly wet-friendly and from there you've got Rushup Edge and Jacobs Ladder possibilties.

so many options!

if you're interested i'm sure i could put something of a route together for you but to be honest it's been a few years since i last rode in the Peaks (and over a decade since i lived in the area) and so there might well be more knowledgeable folks on this forum to give you sound (wet weather) Peak District route advice.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some good pointers there gairy ... for bivvy spots I'd consider looking at the following:

Foot of Mam Tor, overlooking Edale.
Cracken Edge, overlooking Chinley ... might even be a cave or two.
A little wood, high and on your left as you descend off Peep o' Day towards Kinder Res' ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way