Some things that I learned at the weekend

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pickers

Some things that I learned at the weekend

Post by Pickers »

Now then, I've spent several nights out with just a bivi bag/sleeping bag and a lot of nights out using a tent. Until Saturday though, I'd not used a tarp for a night out. Steep learning curve then.
I picked Saturday night (although it may seem odd) because I knew that some rain was forecast. I didn't want to go and do something I'd done before, I wanted to have to find out something new.
I'd spent a bit of time practicing setting up the tarp, with reasonable results. In good conditions. On flat ground. With space. And time. You may guess where this is going.....

On lumpy ground, a bit of a slope, not much space. Well let's just say I need more practice! Having said that it did stay up in the face of rain and some wind so not a complete failure.... not pretty though.

IMG_0081s by Richard Picton, on Flickr

I couldn't fit under it completely, although in all honesty I didn't expect to be able to. The end of the bivi bag (Hunka XL) was out in the open and got wet, probably up to about halfway up.
All fine when I went to sleep, but after an hour or so of rain I guess the bag was wetted out and any breathability was lost, I could feel the inside of the bivi bag getting clammy.
From this, am I better off:- A. learning how to pitch the tarp better to give more cover? B. Getting a better (ie more breathable) bivi sack? or C. Accept that I'm going to get wet if it rains on overnighters.
On multi night tours it's doubtful I'll be without my tent so not too fussed about that.

&*%$£7g8ing midges! Forgot to pack the Smidge. Won't do that again. That's all I need to say about that.

Before it rained, the sky cleared for an hour or so around 11:00pm. This was just fantastic! It is a very long time indeed since I've seen a night sky that was as clear. The downside of a tent. Just stunning.

Nice tracks and scenery too...
IMG_0837s by Richard Picton, on Flickr

IMG_0835s by Richard Picton, on Flickr
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Chew

Re: Some things that I learned at the weekend

Post by Chew »

Pickers wrote:From this, am I better off:- A. learning how to pitch the tarp better to give more cover? B. Getting a better (ie more breathable) bivi sack? or C. Accept that I'm going to get wet if it rains on overnighters.
A

You'll have the same issues with any bivi bag of it wetting out and not being able to breathe. As it cant breathe you'll get condensation on the inside which causes the dampness. Getting a bit damp is always going to happen on rainy bivi's but you should never be getting wet.

I'm assuming that's a bicycle 3.5?
If so its always a bit of a tight squeeze to get a good pitch and get good coverage. Try a different pitch to get more use out of what you have. Raising the pitch points off the ground will give you more useable space, and I'd go for more of a lean-to or A-frame.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nice pics

Definitely A - learn how to use the tarp properly.

A bag can't really breathe if there's water on the outside, you need to give it some help. A more expensive bag might help a bit but not much, plus knowledge/skill is free!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Like Chew says, A frame or lean to will give better coverage.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I'm assuming that's a bicycle 3.5?
It is indeed, lack of experience notwithstanding it did well. Looking back I likely could've picked a better spot as well. Not really too dischuffed to be honest, just more practice needed
Nice pics
Cheers. The scenery makes it easy though.

Looking at the bike and the bags I reckon I could have a bit of a clear out, although there's not much that I carried that didn't get used - warm jacket for the night about the only thing.

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Not sure if it's relavant for the whole of the UK, but here in Scotland if I can I'd always steer clear of clumps of ferns like that as you usually find they're home to a lot of ticks.

Finding a decent pitch can be difficult especially if you've had a long day in the saddle and are knackered.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Not sure if it's relavant for the whole of the UK, but here in Scotland if I can I'd always steer clear of clumps of ferns like that as you usually find they're home to a lot of ticks.

Finding a decent pitch can be difficult especially if you've had a long day in the saddle and are knackered.
yea lots of tics here in the lakes and dales at the moment. i get round it by having a bi vi bag that i stitched a midge net in to seems to keep them at bay.... allso less to set up Image just pitch it off the frame seems good
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With regard to the tarp ... put some 1m long lines on the 4 corners and 1.5m lines on the 3 mid-point tie-outs. Use the main pole upright.

As Chew says, that'll raise the sides higher resulting in much more room. If you use your bike / stick / whatever to fasten the mid-point tie-out at the head end, that will also ptoduce more room.

It should all help to stop everything sagging quite so much in the night if it gets wet ... Sil' stretches when wet.

It's just practice.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

It should all help to stop everything sagging quite so much in the night if it gets wet ...
Yeah, thanks. What about the tarp though?

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike