best bike for bikepacking?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

duncdan

best bike for bikepacking?

Post by duncdan »

I've been enjoying my 456 on the sdw and TCW for a few years and it's good but I reckon a rigid 29er would be better or maybe a 29+ or a 650+? Alpkits new 650+ looks V nice. I know it depends on terrain and personal preference blar blar blar. But What's your iron horse of choice?? I don't believe in spending over £1000 and I am happy building the bike and wheels from scratch. Lots of choice out there and I don't want to over look something clever.

Thanks
Scattamah

Re: best bike for bikepacking?

Post by Scattamah »

Wouldn't say there's a best bike for anything, but there's one out there for you somewhere that will fit and get the job done.

I picked up my 2013 Superfly AL Elite from its original owner on that damned auction site for 800 squids last year (retail of 1600). Bloke had already tricked it out too. Good deals to be had if you buy in the off season.

[Edit: The Superfly is a 29er...but I've been out on my 1990's Cadex 26er and had fun]

Greetz

S.
Last edited by Scattamah on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

The one you have.
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

May be I should reword my question.

All things being equal would you choose a 26er, 650,b, 650+, fat bike, 29er, 29+?

Never riden a plus or fat bike, how do they perform in this discipline?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

duncdan wrote:May be I should reword my question.

All things being equal would you choose a 26er, 650,b, 650+, fat bike, 29er, 29+?

Never riden a plus or fat bike, how do they perform in this discipline?
I've bike packed on 700c, 4" fat, 5" fat, 29er+, 29er, 26er and rode this weekend with someone on a 650+ all have been enjoyable.
I guess it all depends on the trails that you ride.
#NotMuchHelp :oops:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I've got a Stooge, which I run SS with a 29+ front, a Buzzard with 130mm forks and an original rigid Swift with 'normal' 29in tyres and rims and 3x9 gears. I tend to pick the Swift for bikepacking and it's never let me down. But they'd all do the job.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

The more I see from bike packing events around the world, the more I think there is no one bike to rule them all, quite the opposite. But if I was buying just the one, I would probably be looking at a 29er HT frame, which then gives the option of running 27/650b+ wheels, if the terrain is super rough. On saying that, FS is definitely gaining popularity amongst those who race tough courses, but it does introduce more potential failure points. I would also go for a 1x11 setup; the new XT M8000 looks like a really good group set, much better value than SRAM, and I would expect it will last longer too. However they have ruined it by the new crankset which (like XTR) only accepts Shimano rings, and as I am a total convert to oval rings, I won't be investing in this.

As Scat said, the various internet used bike sites will eventually deliver something that suits, if you can hang on long enough. My experience of building my own bikes is that it takes forever to collect all the parts, costs much more than expected and tests my mechanical talent / patience to breaking point, but it is satisfying to have it 'just right'.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

XT M8000 oval rings:
http://www.oneupcomponents.com/products ... chainrings

As above, whatever you've got short of a full blown Dh bike will do.
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

Guess that's not the answers I was expecting :???: since the build started with a reasonable hub dynamo I guess that's not the excuse I was looking for to buy a new bike :lol:

Did shimano do oval rings 90 degrees different to everyone else?

Thanks for the input
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'd agree that there's no ideal bike as said above,
imo it's hard to beat a starting-point good rigid 29er as an all-round MTB and tourer. It's happy on 700x45C road tyres, 29x2.0-2.4 MTB tyres, maybe a 29+ front tyre for rougher rides. Fitting B+ tyres into a 29er is another option for some terrain. Rigid/short travel 29er geometry us usually good for load carrying, it's more XC-orientated; slacker-angled bikes can handle less well when loaded up front. There's good arguments for suspension but also keeping it simple and many loaded rides are on less technical trails. So depends on how much loaded-up bias your riding has, where you ride and how you ride.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think there's a general consensus forming :wink: , so I'll go along with it and agree that a rigid 29er would be my bike of choice.

Although I have numerous things in the workshop which are all capable of 'bikepacking' the bike which gets used most is an old slot dropout 29er Inbred - 2 x 9, Enabler forks, SS rear wheel in the front. 4" tyre fits up front if that's your thing but generally it rolls along very happily on 29" wheels with RK 2.2" tyres ... it just works.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I'm on ss ridge 26" inbred atm thinking of getting a 29r inbred soon :grin:
Trying to ride bikes.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

johnnystorm wrote:XT M8000 oval rings:
http://www.oneupcomponents.com/products ... chainrings

As above, whatever you've got short of a full blown Dh bike will do.
How exciting! When they make a 28t version for my weak legs, I might even be tempted.