Sleeping mat upgrade

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Sleeping mat upgrade

Post by ootini »

I've decided to upgrade my sleeping mat as it's one of the few things that simply doesn't fit in any of my normal bags and requires me to keep using a rucksack on my back, granted it's quite light, but I'd rather have nothing on my back if possible.

I've set myself a budget of up to £70, this is negotiable but I'd like to stay under this. I'm not planning on camping in the deep winter months (Dec to Feb) but would like something that would be suitable for the rest of the year.
I guess the prerequisites are:
Less than £70, warm enough for 3 season use,
Small enough that I could squeeze it in an AlpKit Airlok tapered, or Wildcat Ocelot (Thank Stu for this).
I think I could live with a 3/4 length mat and just pop bags etc under my lower legs.
I'm OK sleeping on my back, but being able to sleep on my side would be nice.
As far as weight goes I guess anything up to the weight of my current Vango mat would be fine, 700g.

Any suggestions? The AlpKit Numo looks very good and is half my budget, + points for this.

*EDIT* re: Pack size. I'm actually hoping to be able to squeeze what ever sleeping mat I go for in to the AlpKit Airlok 13l tapered dry bag I'm using as a seat pack along with my Lamina sleeping bag.
Last edited by ootini on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sleeping mat upgrade

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Numo doesn't contain any insulation. However, this may not be an issue given where/when you plan to use it - I have one on test at the moment but it's too early to say just yet.

I'm a big fan of Exped mats and I think a Synmat UL would suit you well. With some careful shopping you should find one within budget. Neoair in some form or other are also popular, personally I don't find them as comfortable but others do. Their Venture series look good value and the short versions can be picked up very cheaply. (ignore the bad review, someone was obviously sent the wrong size).

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/10830 ... tress.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I asked a similar question some time ago, Stu suggested one of these
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-6- ... e=78217490 in the end I got one of those and a Klymit Inertia x-frame. My wife uses the Karrimor and reckons it's comfier than her Thermarest, we've only used it in summer though, not sure of how much insulation you'd get for cooler times. Then again I wouldn't be using super light stuff in winter anyway so would have to accept the bulk of warmer kit.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks for that Stu, the Venture mattress looks very similar in pack size to the Numo and same price.

I'm a little stuck in the sense that the Numo is thicker 7cm as opposed to 5cm of the Venture mattress, however the Thermarest jobbie does have some techno geekery going on inside to create "insulation pockets". Hmmmmm
atk

Post by atk »

I've got a 3/4 Venture but don't have anything much to contribute about it as (due to a total cock up on my part...) I punctured it on the first night :oops: then put off repairing it for well over a year :-bd
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I tried a airo 120, lasted one night. cold, thin and i don't sleep well with cold feet.

I then bought a neoair xtherm. best thing ever, wasn't cheap but really warm, really comfortable and is smaller and lighter than the airo

I'll sell you a airo 120 cheap if you like?
ootini

Post by ootini »

Haha, I think the Alpkit Airo is almost identical to my current Vango that I'm trying to replace. :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just "upgraded" my Exped UL 7 to new Hyperlite version: http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... 886/s16227

Bit over £70 limit, but only 340g and supposedly down to -6c.

Will keep the UL, maybe put one on top of the other for -66c temps :-)

If you're an old codger like me, bung on an Exped mini pump, plus latest UL pillow: http://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/ ... wwodDbgFdw. Just got one from Black's for £18 but sadly none left now :-(. My 8x10 tarp, tyvek g/sheet, pillow, mat, pump and -9c bag (total 1790g) go into a 20L Alpkit dual on the bars.

Of course, foam mat and clothes-wrapped-in-fleece pillow much cheaper and more hardcore; but any excuse for The Post Man's Been.....

Sweet dreams!

Reg
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ootini

Post by ootini »

The Hyperlite does look nice, I'm particularly impressed with pack size. It would be really nice to see a round up of a few in that price range including pack size images.
ootini

Post by ootini »

whitestone wrote:I asked a similar question some time ago, Stu suggested one of these
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-6- ... e=78217490 in the end I got one of those and a Klymit Inertia x-frame. My wife uses the Karrimor and reckons it's comfier than her Thermarest, we've only used it in summer though, not sure of how much insulation you'd get for cooler times. Then again I wouldn't be using super light stuff in winter anyway so would have to accept the bulk of warmer kit.
Gotta say that Karrimor mat is looking good on paper, can you tell me the approximate pack size? I can't find it on the net.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ootini wrote:Gotta say that Karrimor mat is looking good on paper, can you tell me the approximate pack size? I can't find it on the net.
I'll check tonight when I get home and probably after watching the cricket highlights :grin: From memory it's not much bigger than a straight pint glass, perhaps a bit longer.
ootini

Post by ootini »

whitestone wrote:
ootini wrote:Gotta say that Karrimor mat is looking good on paper, can you tell me the approximate pack size? I can't find it on the net.
I'll check tonight when I get home and probably after watching the cricket highlights :grin: From memory it's not much bigger than a straight pint glass, perhaps a bit longer.
Great, thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gotta say that Karrimor mat is looking good on paper, can you tell me the approximate pack size? I can't find it on the net.
They're a very light mat, in fact they're the same mat as the Multimat superlight BUT remember, there's no insulation in them or magic themal barriers ... disregard what F&T say about ratings :roll:
ootini

Post by ootini »

s8tannorm wrote:
They're a very light mat, in fact they're the same mat as the Multimat superlight BUT remember, there's no insulation in them or magic themal barriers ... disregard what F&T say about ratings :roll:
Yeah, I noticed, I think that puts it in the same league as the AlpKit Numo in essence. I think for the number of times I'll be out camping when it's "cold" I can live with having to take a rucksack and pack something bigger, but for day to day spring summer autumn use, the lack of insulation won't be a problem. When I decide to do proper winter stuff then I'll look at splashing more money on something bigger, bulkier and warmer. At the moment the weight and price are nudging me in that direction. The Venture series mats look good but trying to find the full length one is proving a little tricky, and it pushes the price up. Even the short version in the Blacks link you posted appears to have now disappeared.

When it comes to Sleeping mats, is it possible to "stack" them to improve thermal efficiency? In the sense I could use the Karrimor for spring summer autumn and then simply add the Vango in to the mix for winter use? Granted this means carrying 2 mats, but as I said, it won't happen very often.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When it comes to Sleeping mats, is it possible to "stack" them to improve thermal efficiency?
Yes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The inflatable mats are basically lilos! There's nothing internally to stop air circulating and removing heat through convection, this is what the construction of Thermarests provide. In a down sleeping bag the down also acts to prevent circulation of air.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK, just checked it. It's just a little bit smaller both in diameter and length than the larger water bottle - it would rattle in the cage. The x-lite would fit in a small water bottle for comparison.
ootini

Post by ootini »

whitestone wrote:OK, just checked it. It's just a little bit smaller both in diameter and length than the larger water bottle - it would rattle in the cage. The x-lite would fit in a small water bottle for comparison.
Hi, thanks for that, by "larger water bottle" do you mean a standard 750ml bottle? If so I'll experiment by try packing an empty water bottle and the sleeping bag in to the AirLok just to gauge how well it will fit.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think so - never measured the capacity, the ones that are much longer than the bottle cage and look like they'll fall out (but don't)
ootini

Post by ootini »

whitestone wrote:I think so - never measured the capacity, the ones that are much longer than the bottle cage and look like they'll fall out (but don't)
Yep, pretty sure that's a 750ml

Like the one pictured here?

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just checking various bottles on Wiggle (crikey how complicated can you make something that holds water?) and I think the two sizes we have are 550ml and 800ml - the SIS ones. So I'll say 800ml but it wouldn't be a tight fit putting the mat in there, you could certainly roll it up still tighter though not cut down on its packed length.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Brill, thanks for your help!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

ootini wrote:The Venture series mats look good but trying to find the full length one is proving a little tricky, and it pushes the price up. Even the short version in the Blacks link you posted appears to have now disappeared.
I may have grabbed one of the few remaining... :oops:

I've used a wide-ish mix over the years, but the two 'LiLo' style tube mats I've had previously (one Alpkit, one Pacific Outdoors) both went porous on me and left me cold on the ground after deflating gently overnight. While the foam-centred Thermarest style mats may be heavier and pack larger, they have the advantage of at least leaving a marginally thicker/warmer layer between you and the floor if they deflate.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
ootini

Post by ootini »

Just hit the button on the Karrimor jobbie for £20. At that price it's worth a punt. Could be an absolute bargain for my own kit, or I've just bought the Mrs a pressie :grin:
ootini

Post by ootini »

Pyro wrote:
ootini wrote:The Venture series mats look good but trying to find the full length one is proving a little tricky, and it pushes the price up. Even the short version in the Blacks link you posted appears to have now disappeared.
I may have grabbed one of the few remaining... :oops:

I've used a wide-ish mix over the years, but the two 'LiLo' style tube mats I've had previously (one Alpkit, one Pacific Outdoors) both went porous on me and left me cold on the ground after deflating gently overnight. While the foam-centred Thermarest style mats may be heavier and pack larger, they have the advantage of at least leaving a marginally thicker/warmer layer between you and the floor if they deflate.
No probs, to be honest, taking in to account how often I go camping and the weather conditions I go in, I can't really see me needing all that extra insulation, plus I've heard horror stories about the insulation getting damp from being blown up then delaminating etc. I'll try the Karrimor lilo style mat out and see how it goes.