700c Off Road Clincher

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

700c Off Road Clincher

Post by ootini »

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent 700c clinchers for use off road? I've used 32mm Challenge Griffos in the past but found they are a little too narrow and tended to sink in anything remotely sloppy. I'm pretty sure I could get away with 35-38mm no probs on the CX bike, maybe even 40mm.
I'd rather not go tubeless, purely because I have absolutely no experience (nor idea) of how to use them etc.
Cheeky Monkey

Re: 700c Off Road Clincher

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If you search the site you should find a few recommendations for something by On One. Stu even wrote a review IIRC. Gravel Grinders? Whether these classify as "clinchers" I wouldn't know.

Fears of tubeless are entirely unfounded IME. It's pretty easy to either buy and use a Stan's (or equivalent) kit or to go ghetto / DIY with gorilla tape and latex. Whether to use it is more down to your own preferences e.g. not so suitable if you're a "tyre-swapper".
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

You can still run tubeless tyres with tubes.

WTB Nanoraptors are nice. Fast, grippy..ish. Mostly, fast.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

On ONe Gravel Roads are great. I got 2750 miles out of mine. Could have got more but I seemed to be getting punctures more frequently so decided to swap them out. They did also seem to start getting louder.... They are available in 33 or 40c. I was running the 40s on my Fargo on Sun Ringle Inferno 23 rims (Stock Fargo wheels).

I've replaced them with Challenge Gravel Racers. These are a 38c and have nice big side lugs but just a file pattern on the centre. Mainly purchased as the OO tyres were out of stock at the time. So far so good. Inevitably not as much grip in gloop when upright but the cornering grip is still there.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

WTB nano 40c seem like good gravel tyres

Got some with my arkose. Shamefully I'm currently running marathon pluses for commuting!
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

On ONe Gravel Roads are great
Yes they are, I really liked mine until the rear tread delaminated after less than 800 miles. I've not heard many tales of this so I guess it's likely an isolated thing. Following this with interest now as I need some new ones.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Pickers wrote:
On ONe Gravel Roads are great
Yes they are, I really liked mine until the rear tread delaminated after less than 800 miles. I've not heard many tales of this so I guess it's likely an isolated thing. Following this with interest now as I need some new ones.
Yeah, didn't get that with mine. They just started looking a bit pockmarked.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Schwalbe Smart Sams are a good all rounder off road, fast on tarmac, quite tough if a bit heavyish. Available in 35mm, 40mm and 47mm. Wire bead only unfortunately but they are cheap. I've not had many punctures with them.

I use a 40mm Smart Sam on the front of the CX and a 35mm Smart Sam or Sammy Slick on the back depending. Most of my rides are mixed off road and back roads.

I did try a 47mm on the front of the CX and it was vaguely exciting though toe overlap becomes an issue so I went back to the 40mm.

Just wish they did a gumwall version :)