best adventure mattress?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

best adventure mattress?

Post by HaYWiRe »

Okay, so I basically mean rollmat, but doesn't that sound cooler?

I'm after a new pad, to cut down on weight (obviously). I've previously used CCF for hiking, 200g but HUGE, and now use a cheap ass gelert self inflating jobbie, 1kg and least it fits on the bike, but that was a stop gap

What are my best options that balance weight, pack size, and value?

I've been to GoOutdoors today and most seem to be around the £40/650g mark, but for those numbers Id rather give my money to alpkit, many here use their mats?

Id love a neoair but maybe too spendy for me sadly, or are they worth every penny?
jam bo

Re: best adventure mattress?

Post by jam bo »

I tried an alpkit airo 120 and decided thin 2/3 length mats aren't for me. I got cold and uncomfortable.

Bought a neoair Xtherm instead. Smaller, lighter, much warmer, much more expensive even on sale.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Something by Exped that fits within your budget, IMO. However, it's worth a search of the forum and Stu's news / reviews as there's already plenty of discussion and advice.
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

I have an Exped DM 5, which is excellent for warmth and the depth is fine with me. But it does pack big.

I was at a Black's at the weekend and stumble across a Exped 5, without the Down, it packed very small and was incredibly lightweight and only £35.

I've no idea what the R-value is, but maybe worth a look at.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

jam bo wrote: neoair Xtherm
This. The only piece of my bivi kit I wouldn't consider changing. I've got a full length one and it's brilliant. I've never felt cold with it, and it's very comfy.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

AlasdairMc wrote:
jam bo wrote: neoair Xtherm
This. The only piece of my bivi kit I wouldn't consider changing. I've got a full length one and it's brilliant. I've never felt cold with it, and it's very comfy.
Exped downmat lite does it for me.
FLV

Post by FLV »

not sure how adventurous it is but I just got one of these

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... -mat-p3886

its really very nice. comfy and even with a quilt set up I didnt miss the foot width of the UL 7 its replaced (after many happy sleeps and much abuse)
javatime

Post by javatime »

I use a Vango Ultralite 3/4 length. £30 and reasonably small to pack and light enough. I also carry some of that silver bubble wrap, actually an inside the car windscreen sun protector. This gives some extra insul., protects the Vango mat and is very useful on its own for a dry sit down or nap during the day.
ootini

Post by ootini »

javatime wrote:I use a Vango Ultralite 3/4 length. £30 and reasonably small to pack and light enough. I also carry some of that silver bubble wrap, actually an inside the car windscreen sun protector. This gives some extra insul., protects the Vango mat and is very useful on its own for a dry sit down or nap during the day.
I've got the full length version of this. TBH I was impressed on my first camping trip with it, but since then I've realised the 2.5cm thickness isn't particularly comfortable, especially when I want to sleep on my side, and it doesn't pack down that well. I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to something around 7cm thick.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Anyone have opinions or reviews of the AlpKit numo? It seems good on paper but curious as tohow it performs . I'd only be interested in using it between Spring (April) to Autumn (October-ish), nothing properly "wintery".