tell me about dynamo hubs for charge and lights

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

tell me about dynamo hubs for charge and lights

Post by BreninBeener »

Hi,
Can anyonecwith some experience recommend me a dynamo hub with associated front lamp and charging ability. I currently have ayup front lights but dont mind buying a specific solution. Id like to charge my Garmin 500 cycle thingy, and maybe a pr of aa NiMh too if this is realistic.

thanks
johnnystorm

Re: tell me about dynamo hubs for charge and lights

Post by johnnystorm »

SP Hub (can be had bundled with a revo)
Exposure Revo & red eye light
Cycle 2 charge USB power out socket.
Sorted.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

thats all you need to know. thread closed :-bd
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

The cycle 2 charge top cap is absolutely vaguely exciting. Used mine for the first proper go last weekend and it's way better than my old USB-werk. I'm running a shimano dynamo and b&m front light with it.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Is that the XT dynamo hub? Whats it like? It seems a lot cheaper than an SP. It also appears that you can service the bearings yourself, although i will have another wheel for daytime duties...
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Mine's the Alfine S-501 model. I don't really know the exact differences, but they're still cheaper than the SP/Schmidt ones so I went for the top one, about £75 on Rose Bikes. I think it's slightly lighter and has better seals. It's been running over 18 months with no issues, both touring and commuting through the winter. I've not serviced mine yet, but I've read that you need to be careful dismantling it as the internal wiring can get damaged if not done properly.

FYI, Shimano have started also making 1.5w hubs (normal ones are 3w) which are cheaper but don't produce enough power to charge and run lights together so are probably worth avoiding...
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I have an XT dynamo built into a wheel, only done a few hundred miles on it as it doesn't live on the bike normally. It's given no bother though. I also run an LX (I think) on the tourer and that has done several thousand miles, again no bother. The XT is disc brake, LX is a rim brake model. You can service the bearings, although mine haven't needed it yet.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

My forks use a 15mm through axle so most dynamo hubs won't fit, it's just the one SP model that currently would be compatible.

It would be nice if the dynamo hub manufacturers made more models compatible with the modern axle <ahem>standards</ahem> but I suspect that bikepacking is a small proportion of a small market so it's unlikely to happen. Hope do adapters so you can step down from 15mm to 9mm to QR style fitting so it can be done.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

You can get the Exposure hub and light as a bundle cheap - the EXposure hub is just re-branded SP hub.

The Plug 3 or Sinewave chargers seem to be good options for charging other appliances on the go. The trickle charge port of the back of the Exposure light is only really any good for running the red eye light from....
Ian

Post by Ian »

ianfitz wrote:thats all you need to know. thread closed :-bd
Wait, I have questions!

This red eye light. Is it this one?
http://www.ultimatesportsengineering.co ... ng-cable-0
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Yup.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

If you want to charge something else you will need to do it when not running the light. You will have one feed from the Revo and one from the charge unit (Plug III or similar). Charge other units in the day, run the light at night. Simples.
Yes it is that Red Eye.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I struggled a bit with my setup on the Ht550, mainly because the average speeds are so low ( the average in a day might only be 10-12kph), and the battery pack was unreliable (a cheap "Fuel" cell off eBay). I could not get enough charge into the garmin during the faster bits to offset the drain during the slow and hike a bike sections, and if the garmin is connected straight to the "cycle2charge" unit the backlight goes to full illumination whenever the external power is lost (annoying!).

A better backup battery is a key requirement I think!
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

What are people using for cache batteries?
Javi

Post by Javi »

Hi Steve!
Had a similar problem with the cache battery. My problem was the cable to the battery came loose very often. I had 3 choices and took the dodgy one.

I'm using zendure battery. Had good reviews and it works fine. Had another brand before and failed after 2 or 3 uses.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/607/dp/B00ICYOUCK