How to insert pictures

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Re: How to insert pictures

Post by johnnystorm »

I find it much easier to just upload an image to thos site, using something like Pixlr on my phone to resize it to 750px wide and medium jpg compression. That way we won't be left with loads of blank spaces when which ever free hosting app people use starts charging and switches off access. :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

johnnystorm wrote:I find it much easier to just upload an image to thos site, using something like Pixlr on my phone to resize it to 750px wide and medium jpg compression. That way we won't be left with loads of blank spaces when which ever free hosting app people use starts charging and switches off access. :wink:
easiest option is best option for me.. Pxlr you say.. Let me see... Do you have any tips on how. I have the pxlr app on the phone... might as well get to the bottom of all of this photo stuff now as I have been photoless for over 2 years on here now...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

test....

ImageDSCF0277 by Norte Cabeza, on Flickr
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Ggrrr
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Is this thing working
Attachments
20190128_155403.jpg
Dear sweet baby potatoes... let this damn photo upload
(78.27 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

How'd I get that there ^

I give up... finally get a picture up and the quality is poor... then I can't find how I did it!!! Think I'll stick to riding my bike.

Was going to stick a few pics up and do a mini review but lost the will now.

Actually, super mini review.... the bike is mint.
redefined_cycles

Mbnut wrote:[imghttps://www.flickr.com/gp/137029926@N02/168b2e[/img]
@mbnut all you were missing in this was the ] after thr first 3 letters... so it should have been [img] and I reckon you've cracked it...

Nice Sonder btw... let me know if you ever find a snug fitting full frame bag for it... :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote:
Mbnut wrote:[imghttps://www.flickr.com/gp/137029926@N02/168b2e[/img]
@mbnut all you were missing in this was the ] after thr first 3 letters... so it should have been [img] and I reckon you've cracked it...

Nice Sonder btw... let me know if you ever find a snug fitting full frame bag for it... :-bd
Like this
[img ] https://www.flickr.com/gp/137029926@N02/168b2e[/img]
but without the gaps
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I haven't had any luck at posting from Google photos until I found this site - you put the image link into it and it generates the code for sharing on here. It's free and it doesn't involve storing the image anywhere else, just on your google photos album.
https://www.publicalbum.org/blog/embedd ... otos-image
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Have spent the last hour trying to upload 1 pic from Google Photos as a test but without success. The patience of my wife has worn thin and told me to stop. If anyone feels inclined to write some form of instruction for a complete idiot, please feel free. Otherwise I'm with Mbnut, I'll stick to riding my bike!
BaM 2021
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alan63 wrote:Have spent the last hour trying to upload 1 pic from Google Photos as a test but without success. The patience of my wife has worn thin and told me to stop. If anyone feels inclined to write some form of instruction for a complete idiot, please feel free. Otherwise I'm with Mbnut, I'll stick to riding my bike!
Google Photos is probably the hardest of the photo sharing sites to link to, and that's from a desktop. No idea of how much harder it is on a mobile. Might be easier to get a free account on either Flickr or Imgur. Flickr has a limit to the number of photos you can upload but if you only upload those you want to link to rather than every shot you take then you are unlikely to hit it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've found Google photos fine since Borderer posted that very helpful link ^^^
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

whitestone wrote:
Alan63 wrote:Have spent the last hour trying to upload 1 pic from Google Photos as a test but without success. The patience of my wife has worn thin and told me to stop. If anyone feels inclined to write some form of instruction for a complete idiot, please feel free. Otherwise I'm with Mbnut, I'll stick to riding my bike!
Google Photos is probably the hardest of the photo sharing sites to link to, and that's from a desktop. No idea of how much harder it is on a mobile. Might be easier to get a free account on either Flickr or Imgur. Flickr has a limit to the number of photos you can upload but if you only upload those you want to link to rather than every shot you take then you are unlikely to hit it.
Thanks for your reply. Signed up to Imgur. Alas, no further forward. Either get a URL upload failed or preparing uploader which then does nothing for the next 20mins . Looks like I won't be posting any BaM trips :sad:
BaM 2021
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm not sure if there's a file size limit on Imgur or whether they resize files that are too big but I resize mine to a max of 1000px width or height (along with cropping and some basic adjustments to exposure levels and contrast if needed) so a 20Mb original image will get uploaded as a 250kb file.

TBH, uploading a series of 5Mb or larger photos to a site is a bit anti-social as it makes any page very unresponsive as the files are downloaded to the viewer's browser which then has to resize them to fit the page and of course everyone who views the page has to do this every time they view the page. (sorry - a bit of a bugbear of mine)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not sure if there's a file size limit on Imgur or whether they resize files that are too big but I resize mine to a max of 1000px width or height (along with cropping and some basic adjustments to exposure levels and contrast if needed) so a 20Mb original image will get uploaded as a 250kb file.

TBH, uploading a series of 5Mb or larger photos to a site is a bit anti-social as it makes any page very unresponsive as the files are downloaded to the viewer's browser which then has to resize them to fit the page and of course everyone who views the page has to do this every time they view the page. (sorry - a bit of a bugbear of mine)
You're right Bob. There's lots of phone apps* that are cheap / easy to use that will resize down to something web friendly. It only takes a minute or so.

*I am assuming that most folk use a phone to take pics these days.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Oh my. Think I've got there. Thanks to everyone for their help and patience :grin:
BaM 2021
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

redefined_cycles

So. Getting sick of the long winded -'Flickr way of adding -... Jusy downloaded Imgur... testing

http://imgur.com/gallery/1jPcCJq
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Neither of those worked as the link does not have a jpg file tag.

On my Android phone I have to long-cluck your image then choose the Copy Url option. That pastes it into my Clipboard and I then insert the url into the IMG tags on here
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:22 pm Neither of those worked as the link does not have a jpg file tag.

On my Android phone I have to long-cluck your image then choose the Copy Url option. That pastes it into my Clipboard and I then insert the url into the IMG tags on here
Thanks Colin. Lemme just try that once more then (after reinstalling the app)...
redefined_cycles

Still testing
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I still prefer Flickr as it allows click-though to bigger images. Not an issue for many small forum posts but nice if it's a good landscape, a detailed picture etc. Imgur is certainly handy though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This is the screen I see when I click on your photo in Imgur

I choose the Copy Url option.