Cumulus Quilt as an Overbag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Morebikes

Cumulus Quilt as an Overbag

Post by Morebikes »

I am looking at a Cumulus 150 quilt for a lightweight summer option, but would like to use it as an over bag combined with a PHD Minimus for 3-4 season use.
My concern would be whether the Cumulus was big enough to accommodate the PHD bag inside without compressing it.
Any one use a Cumulus able to comment on the space inside for this to work?
The other option would be a Enlightened Revolution where the foot box opens up, but this makes it a more expensive option.
Thanks
Keith
JohnClimber

Re: Cumulus Quilt as an Overbag

Post by JohnClimber »

Stu's your man for this question as he's reviewed the 150 but I'd say (guess) if it could go over the bag it would then come up short on the sleeping bag maybe to around nipple height.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've used the 250 quilt in exactly that way. I'm 5,9" and 10.5 stone (or 175cm/65kg) and there's plenty of space left for loft.

I use the ties on the quilt to secure it to a neoair - the quilt stays but the inner bag can move around with you.

Also used a 300g fill bag in the sand way it was -8 that night! But still toasty :-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd say that the main body of the quilt is wide enough but I can possibly imagine the footbox being a bit too snug to fit another bag inside. I suppose much depends what bag you're using as an inner.

Another slightly more expensive option would be a Cumulus comforter ... maybe the best of all worlds?

EDIT: sorry just noticed, Minimus.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Morebikes

Post by Morebikes »

Thanks for the comments.
I had not looked at the comforter before, shame Cumulus do not make a lighter version equivilent to the 150 quilt. The lightest one seems to be to similar to my sleeping bag.

The 150 is listed as 177cm so I think the length will be ok, might be possible to do a bit of sewing and cutting to open up the footbox a bit more maybe?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Length doesn't seem to be an issue when I've used mine as described.

I don't remember any major issues in the foot box but it is on the snug side.