Salsa Spearfish

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Salsa Spearfish

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Does anybody here have any bikepacking experience on this bike - post 2014 version? It has a very good track record in both the AZT and CTR races (more to do with rider sponsorship I expect); do you think it would be right for the HT550? It is somewhat heavier than a HT, and the shock limits space for a frame bag in the triangle, but my back is not getting any more compliant as the years (and surgery) take their toll! I would have bought one this week if it had been spec'd with a proper threaded BB, but I'm really not convinced by PF rubbish... Thoughts?
johnnystorm

Re: Salsa Spearfish

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got one (proper innovative flex stay one, not a crappy extra complicated one. :wink: ) but I keep it for "nice days" (apart from a couple of winter series events) and races rather than bikepacking events. The BB isn't great it must be said, I've killed one in about 500 miles. Having said that for £20 or so you can buy an FSA adapter that presses in and turns it into a standard threaded BB shell. You can get adapters that contain bearings or space out the 24mm axle to fit a 30mm but that seems more of a faff than just fitting the fsa adapter and installing the standard bb of choice. I haven't fitted one yet as A), the bb30 chainset still has plenty of life in it and B) On-One were selling replacement pf30 bearings for a tenner a pair. The old ones knocked out with a screwdriver and the new ones went in with my headset press. No more faff than a normal bb that's being a bit stubborn really.
Ian

Post by Ian »

In the HTR 440, Alan Sheldon rode one to 3rd place behind me, so they're only marginally slower than a hard tail single speed ;)

I'd have thought with AZT and CTR form, you'd be fine in Scotland with it.

As for PF30 - I have it on my Bahookie and the Problem Solvers insert has been fine so far. Granted, it's only done 100 wet miles but the unit has not moved in the frame and the pedals still go round.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thanks for the advice. The new Spearfish frame has a PF BB92 for 24mm axle, same as my last bike, which took an absurd amount of mallet bashing to remove when it prematurely died!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Thanks for the advice. The new Spearfish frame has a PF BB92 for 24mm axle, same as my last bike, which took an absurd amount of mallet bashing to remove when it prematurely died!
Argh. They can't even stick to the same non-standard standard! :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I have one of last years ones.

I've rode it down the Sarn Helen and done a few other bike packing rides on it. I've raced if for a few 24 hour races too. Also, it gets used as a bike for normal day to day riding.

Hands down, it is one of the best all round bikes I've ever owned. I love it.

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sexy.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a medium frame in the STW classifieds for a good price. I keep convincing myself that it won't work for my wee legs.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Is that Conwy castle?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

BreninBeener wrote:Is that Conwy castle?
It is.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I've got a 2012 one (without the split pivot) and it is hands down, my favourite bike....I refused a ride on the split pivot one in the same orange as that ^^^ one, as I was scared it would be better :grin:
The pf30 is rubbish though.....I put the fsa threaded sleeve in and it not only makes the bb normal, but it has the added bonus of stiffening up the bb area, for my vaguely exciting leg gun power!

Here it is on the grand union, when I rode to Leicester to see my mate's dad!

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Having ridden both the Split Pivot and the older flex design...you made a good choice of not riding the new one...as you'd probably now own one :)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

GregMay wrote:Having ridden both the Split Pivot and the older flex design...you made a good choice of not riding the new one...as you'd probably now own one :)
Sssh. Stop saying that! :lol:
Pat

Post by Pat »

:grin:

I knew that instinctively!

I really love mine though....all day, fast riding. Nearly as good as this cider I'm necking!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I was rather hoping you would talk me out of it; now I'm really itching for one!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Greg, is yours back from the menders yet?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ian wrote:Greg, is yours back from the menders yet?
Waiting for the new frame to land at the moment. All the more reason to ride the SS :)
Pat

Post by Pat »

Oh... What happened? Defect or user error? :0)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pat wrote:Oh... What happened? Defect or user error? :0)
Little from column a, little from column b :)
Pat

Post by Pat »

Ah....are they warrantying it? (Is that even a word?) :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pat wrote:Ah....are they warrantying it? (Is that even a word?) :grin:
Yeah, that's not even an issue with Salsa.

It had quite a bit of riding on it, was an early frame from last years batch, but yes. Getting sorted no questions asked. I do love Salsa and their down to earth nature.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

That's reassuring! Did you buy it in the UK?
The exam question: With your experience of HTR & Cairngorm Loop races, would the Spearfish be your weapon on choice on these routes? What would be your criteria for choosing the SF over a HT?
I have always preferred the lightweight option, but starting to prioritise comfort on longer rides; the arse/back/wrist pounding can ruin the fun and I can't be doing with that battered feeling for weeks after!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:That's reassuring! Did you buy it in the UK?
Yes
ZeroDarkBivi wrote:The exam question: With your experience of HTR & Cairngorm Loop races, would the Spearfish be your weapon on choice on these routes?
I rode a carbon, 80mm hardtail for the HTR, and a 100mm steel SS for the Cairngorms. I've used the Spearfish (snapfish) for the Sarn Helen, Wicklow Way, South Downs (also a carbon HT), MTL etc etc.
It depends what I'd be aiming to do. If the race is a single day and there is LOTS of climbing - I'd always take the HT and suck it up. Multi day, mixed ground, long descents and technical ground - Spearfish.
FWIW, the Spearfish is my go to bike on 12/24 hour races now as well as for longer day rides in the Lakes. Was I doing the HT550 this year... I'd take the Spearfish. Cairngorms Loop... I'd take a HT again.
ZeroDarkBivi wrote: What would be your criteria for choosing the SF over a HT?
The technicality of the descents. More high speed tech, or really rocky work - I'd take the Spearfish. More fireroad descents - HT.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Many thanks - think I'm going to have to sell a kidney now!

Your blog on the HT440 was probably the most informative of the many I read before last years race, ano really helped me focus on my kit choice. Sadly the carbon frame was the weakest link, although my mental state was pretty fragile by then too!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Many thanks - think I'm going to have to sell a kidney now!

Your blog on the HT440 was probably the most informative of the many I read before last years race, ano really helped me focus on my kit choice. Sadly the carbon frame was the weakest link, although my mental state was pretty fragile by then too!

Good to know sometimes the waffle that rolls out of my fingers has use.