Salsa Fargo

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Drillmaster1

Salsa Fargo

Post by Drillmaster1 »

Has anyone got one or had one or got any opinions?
Its a bike I was considering for 1-2 week trips with a mix of maybe 70/30 road/ off road, the off road being more fire roads and unsurfaced roads like you get a lot of in eg Spain.
I thought it may be easier on the road than a mountain bike but still have the ability to go exploring when the tarmac runs out.
What do you think?
voodoo_simon

Re: Salsa Fargo

Post by voodoo_simon »

I've been thinking of one lately, where have you seen then as other than Charlie, they're impossible to find?
Drillmaster1

Post by Drillmaster1 »

Yes Charlie, Triton cycles used to have them but don't have stock and aren't getting any more apparently, I called to check.
Was also considering the Vaya, seems a really good buy at the price Charlie is selling for, but probably too similar to other bikes I already have and doubt the 52 ring would get much use if loaded….
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I used to be able to get them trade but missed my opportunity and now can't afford one from
Charlie :sad:

I know of one friend who bought a Fargo for Spanish gravel roads and got on very well with it. He even fitted 28mm tyres for commuting duties, seems a bike that can handle a wide range of cycling.

Johnnystorm is your man on here though, he's used one for a few years
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ta daaaaa!

I've done 6k miles on mine, a wrt, a bb200, a winter event and some local bivvies. Its kinda suffering at the Mo as I commute on it so it isn't something I associate with fun. Its not as good off road as my Lurcher but when I hop back on it after a while away it is instantly comfy. A bike to sit and spin rather than go for koms iyswim. Mostly use it with 40c on one gravel tyres and guards.

Have to say that the OO Dirty Disco would be what I would look at considering your intended use.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I'm thinking of selling mine, as it's not getting enough use..

They're vaguely exciting bits of kit, but for me, I never loved it like I did my Vaya sadly..
benp1

Post by benp1 »

It sounds like you need a cyclocross bike or a new school gravel/adventure bike
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

I have a Fargo Mk2 and it is without doubt the most versatile bike I own doing multi-day road touring to full on bikepacking with just a change of wheels. For a while it was my only MTB and while its OK for this purpose its a bit uninvolving when unloaded. I have since bought a Krampus as a "giggles and kicks" bike.

However I am looking to thin down my bike collection and I would replace my Fargo and Road bike with an adventure bike; something like the Vaya ti, Van Dessell WTF, Planet x picknflik or the new niner RLT9. The Krampus is capable of covering the amount of off road bickpacking I do.

I have friends who have Mk2 Vaya's and for what your describing they would be the better fit. But if your wanting it to do MTB backpacking duties when you get back and want an n+1 as your "bikepacking" bike you can't go wrong.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm told that Salsa may be available from pretty much every LBS throughout the land before very long.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I'm told that Salsa may be available from pretty much every LBS throughout the land before very long.
Seeing as Raleigh are the distributor this year, that seems plausible..
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Teetosugars wrote:
Ah, interesting. Just seems odd that Ison still do Surly, etc from QBP. Lets be honest, they're all one big company. :shock:
Drillmaster1

Post by Drillmaster1 »

Thanks for the feedback… certainly gives food for thought.
It seems from what I gather from here, and from asking others, that the Fargo is the do everything bike, but polarises opinion, and for some despite the do it everything label is a little unloved?
I suppose after all there's no such thing as a bike for everything, and if there was there would be no excuse to always be looking for n+1!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I think mine is only unloved in that I mostly commute on it so slinging a leg over it means I'm off to work!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've always liked the Fargo but never owned one. However, I've always thought (a) that the drops probably limit its ability off road, (b) once you remove the drops it's actually no different from a lot of other rigid steel bikes.

How about a nice drop bar Stooge?

Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

s8tannorm wrote:How about a nice drop bar Stooge?

Stuart the Stooge Evangelist! :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stuart the Stooge Evangelist!
No, not at all Ben. I just recalled Andy saying he'd fitted a pair of chippers to one and that he really liked riding it ... although I've not been tempted to try it with mine yet :wink:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Teetosugars wrote:
Yippeeee [does a little dance]
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Have I been asleep,when did the Salsa/Raleigh marriage
Take place ??
kdh

Post by kdh »

its my first post here,so here goes ,dont know why i bought a salsa fargo but it would be the last bike i would sell'
it climbs hills really well even with the meager power my legs generate.
as a lot of folks say if you love em its a deep love they are fast and sure handling,just a top top bike and roadies dont know what to make of them :grin:
if i take mine near the lbs they just say whats the point? but they go anywhere if you get a chance have a go on one :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

kdh wrote: if i take mine near the lbs they just say whats the point? but they go anywhere if you get a chance have a go on one :-bd
Mine was ordered in as a one off and caused much bemusement. Main complaint off road isn't the drops per se but the bar end shifters jabbing you in the groin at every gate and stile tends to get a bit annoying after a while! :roll:
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

2 Fargos here, a 2011 cream and a 2014 blue

both been ridden lots, offroad and on

not had any issues riding offroad but then I'm not a demon descender, have got around Coed Y Brenin and Penmachno respectably and this weekend done 150 miles of mixed terrain

if there was a fire in the house I'd be torn between rescuing the cream one or the blue one
Drillmaster1

Post by Drillmaster1 »

Presume the blue 2014 has the carbon fork and the 2011, steel.
Can you notice the difference when riding and if so what are the pros/cons do you reckon?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

to be honest its hard to tell them apart, which surprises me !
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Drillmaster1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback… certainly gives food for thought.
It seems from what I gather from here, and from asking others, that the Fargo is the do everything bike, but polarises opinion, and for some despite the do it everything label is a little unloved?
I suppose after all there's no such thing as a bike for everything, and if there was there would be no excuse to always be looking for n+1!
It does seem to polarise for some reason, mine defiantly isn't unloved though.
s8tannorm wrote:I've always liked the Fargo but never owned one. However, I've always thought (a) that the drops probably limit its ability off road, (b) once you remove the drops it's actually no different from a lot of other rigid steel bikes.
Thats why I have Jones Bars on mine, although some "Fargonaughts" will tell you that your committing heresy by doing such a thing. Never could get on with the drops off-road, where as the Jones offer as many hand positions and work both in road touring and MTB mode. I would argue Stu's second point by saying there isn't a lot of flat bar MTB's that also make good road bikes with a swap of wheels

ImageMe rolling into Craighouse by Brother Smith, on Flickr

ImageNote the sign….I didn't by Brother Smith, on Flickr
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I quite like my Singular Gryphon:

(not mine)