Seat Packs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Seat Packs

Post by Chew »

Anywhere to get one?

Know of that Polish bloke who does them.

Heard rumours that alpkit and wildcat may be doing one, but dont know if thats true or not?
valleydaddy

Re: Seat Packs

Post by valleydaddy »

Chew I am not sure what Alpkit/Wildcat have in the pipeline but here is the link to the Polish ones

http://www.bikepack.eu/

I have one and they are great value and well made
gairym

Post by gairym »

i got an Ortileb seat-bag from wiggle (were cheapest at that time) and it's great in terms of Ortilebs usual waterproofness and general quality/durability etc... but even though i got the large it's still not very big at 3L's.
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

i have a revelate one shipped from alaska.

it's great - really can't fault it at all. only problem is the excessive handling fee by uk customs. £20 tax + £20 handling fee.

http://www.revelatedesigns.com/
chris n

Post by chris n »

Chew wrote:Anywhere to get one?

Know of that Polish bloke who does them.

Heard rumours that alpkit and wildcat may be doing one, but dont know if thats true or not?
I've got one coming from bikepack.eu - hopefully it'll be better than my 2.7L Ortlieb which is a bit small and not ideal for off road, I've found.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

I have a double twist from the Polish guy, great work and good prices. I also have Revelate bags and really can't fault them. Pay your money, take your choice. But the lead time with Eric can be a little desperate if you need your gear!
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Pawel (the Polish bloke!) does them for about £50. I got a small fuel bag from him and it is very good. My Revelate is looking a little bit battered after about 4 years and may replace later this year or next.

Don't know about Wildcat (where's Ian when you want him?) but Alpkit were recruiting sewing staff and I would not be surprised if they did something. No idea if such a project is in there plans.

Last summer I spent a few days with a Geordie guy based in Germany who had been approached by Ortleib to design something just like these bags. His words were 'Like that (pointing at my Revelate) but better'. Thought it would not take to long to produce and price point was to be 80 euro's. Not seen anything yet.
Ortleib think there is a big enough market for these bags.
Ian

Post by Ian »

(where's Ian when you want him?)
I've been away for a few days (work)

Yes, Wildcat are working on something right now. Hopefully have something in good time for the WRT.
The main issues we're trying to address are that:
- my revelate one sways around a bit when loaded, however tight I do the straps up, which I find annoying
- it's quite heavy for what it is (350g for the pika)
- they're quite pricey.

So we're aiming to get the wildcat version more secure, lighter and cheaper
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

ooh, lighter and cheaper than the Revelate? You've got my attention, Ian! My Revelate Viscacha is 370 grams, which seems to me to be far heavier than it needs to be. If you need a beta tester... :D
tommid

Post by tommid »

Guys, Can I see some pics of your seat packs mounted and full?
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Here's a pic of an older setup of mine...

pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

and another old one...

Nick

Post by Nick »

I reckon seat packs are much harder to make than any other luggage, precisely for the reasons above. I'm going to have a go at a frame bag, as much as because I can rather than I need to, but put me down for a seat pack Ian when you finally get around to making them.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Another potential tester here;-)

My seatpack also wobbles a bit when full despite tightening straps. Wildcat frame bag also showing.

My pack on the Boreas Pass, about 11,500 feet

101_0121 by blackhound59, on Flickr
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I've had a couple of thoughts on seat packs, which may or may not ever come to fruition, but hey, you never know. One might, possibly, help out with the whole swaying issue...

A few years back my AR team raced at the Primal Quest in Utah, and one of the team got a hold of two little thingumajigs to mount an extra bottle cage on the back of your seatpost - dead handy, weighed next to nowt, easy to fit etc. Fast forward a few years and I managed to snag something similar while building up my SS: Turns out Specialized supplied these widgets as an extra with certain models of Epic, one bit that clamps round the post itself and one that replaces the seat clamp itself (a QR clamp with a cage mount at the back).

My thought was that you could mount something like an Anything Cage, or at least a modified bottle cage with one of the Alpkit drybags (ovalised shape might reduce interference with leg movement) off them, which would seem a bit more secure and less wobbly than something just hanging by a strap from the saddle rails.

After all that wonderful, logical, coherent thinking, I failed to realise that Speccy only use 30.9 seatposts, and both of my bikes are on 27.2s... D'oh...

So, anyone want said experimental widgetry for not-a-lot-of-dosh (think I paid a fiver on STW for them, and half of that was postage) to see if they can cure their swinging problems in an innovative manner?
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have one of those Salsa clamps on my Inbred ... very nice too. I think it's the only one avaliable in 29.8mm/30mm flavour.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

DNF - Cheers, but not quite what I'm after. The things I'm slightly failing to explain are these thingumajigs
My frame's got rack mounts, but thought these and a modded bottle cage would maybe be useful...
Nick

Post by Nick »

Can't you just shim those clamps?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Could shim one of them, but on the set I've got, one's a replacement seat collar. Might grab a set of the ones I posted and try shimming them out, just thought any Speccy riders might make use of the ones I've got. And next time, I shall pay more in advance.
Pawel

Post by Pawel »

Newest RePack in collection, size Small, capacity 3-6 litres, not weighted yet

SL version on pics
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

Pawel - Any chance of getting a seatpack delivered to the UK before the WRT (early June)?

Would like a large SL but would consider anything you have laying around!

Let me know.

Cheers,

G
MonkeySpacePilot

Post by MonkeySpacePilot »

Well I got my large sl seatpack from Pawel delivered today. And very nice it is too.

Got too say its bloody massive, bigger than I expected, that's got my sleeping bag in there and it down at its minimum, I think a medium would be plenty big enough.

I am going to have a play around working out how I actually pack what where, then its off to France to cycle through the Vosges next week. :P
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Love the green colour-coded logo. Did that cost extra?

Be warned, my medium one is not waterproof. Maybe it never was going to be, but I found that slightly disappointing (as I was replacing a 2.7 litre Ortlieb seatpack that most definitely was waterproof).
MonkeySpacePilot

Post by MonkeySpacePilot »

No that's how it came, shame I will probably be getting a new bike later this year, going to limit my choices if it has to be green to match my luggage.

I didn't expect it to be waterproof to be honest, maybe worth sealing the seams, but I will probably put some clothes in a drybag with food and cooking kit lose in the saddlepack,