Baggies on a bikepacking trip?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Baggies on a bikepacking trip?

Post by Dan_K »

Coming from a lycra based road background, I have no problem wearing bib shorts out on the MTB but I see in general MTB circles, it's frowned upon.
I find it weird when people obsess so much over weight on bikepacking trips, that when i look at pictures, people still wear baggies. Surely lycra shorts are more effective? They weigh less and dry faster.
Is it just me that thinks this is a bit strange?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Baggies on a bikepacking trip?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm all in favour of wearing whatever you like, I've spent years developing a 'Two Wheeled Tramp' look. I find that as time goes on, much more of my stuff is outdoor derived rather than cycling. I do wear baggies but they'll often be waterproof ones and always unpadded, in summer that'll be it but in winter I'll stick some 3/4 bibs underneath (with the insert/pad removed).

Just waiting for my bear suit off ebay, then ... watch out world :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dan_K wrote:I find it weird when people obsess so much over weight on bikepacking trips, that when i look at pictures, people still wear baggies. Surely lycra shorts are more effective? They weigh less and dry faster.
Is it just me that thinks this is a bit strange?
for me it's about consideration for others - the reason i don't wear lycra is for the sake of the people i meet along the way (as much as for my self-respect).

i'm always in baggies and am always stuck riding behind my (fitter/faster) lycra-clad mates who don't seem to mind that their spoiling my view (and ride) by waving their barely-covered ass in my face!

some things are worth that little extra weight.

***edit: am only taking the piss - wear what you wear - it's all good.***
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

I always ride with bib shorts (no baggies) unless it's: a) really really cold or b) to avoid the ribbing I get from some of my mates on group rides! I just find baggies a big flappy inefficient nuisance. Nothing beats the fresh & free feeling of well ventilated lycra 8-) . Having said that, getting wet down there is not a good thing on all-day rides so I do think waterproof shorts are a great idea on some rides and they tend to be fairly lightweight. If they work properly (which my Superlites don't). Still looking for a light, properly waterproof & breathable, fairly short cut pair of waterproof shorts...
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

I see in general MTB circles, it's frowned upon.
only on the internet.

i sometimes wear baggies sometimes lycra; what ever seems best for the job.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I tend to wear my Endura Singletrack shorts over lycra, the lenght of the lycra depends on the weather.

I find the Singletracks and Humvee's great because they have big rear thigh pockets into which maps, buffs and energy bars/cake disappear, and you don't notice them there when riding.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

It depends on trip and expected weather. I like bib 3/4's but also often wear a pair of Crikey, how much fixed 3/4's (cost me £30 as seconds) or Crikey, how much touring shorts (in a sale) which are a bit shorter and slimmer fitting than most.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

I've got baggies and for playing on singletrack they are fine, no idea why they have so many pockets, never fancied a multi tool embedded in my thigh! But personally; lycra to cycle in, the quality of the pad is better in my experience and road biking gear seems further ahead than mountain bike gear. Can't be too much wrong with lycra, Matthew Lee seems to ride reasonably well

Matthew Lee during the '08 Tour Divide by Carousel Design Works, on Flickr
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Good point, I also generally find road gear a better option a lot of the time. Seems that a lot of companies feel the need to design things in a certain way for MTB riders. Probably just an image thing. Eg, helmets. Most MTB helmets seem to be heavy & bigger than they need to be. As a result, I do all my riding in a nice light roadie helmet. I don't miss those pointless peaks either :D .
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

To get a light XC helmet you end up with a helmet that isn't very far off the roadie equivalent, Bell made the Sweep and the Sweep XC, difference was the XC had a peak.

I just picked up the basic Mavic road helmet, that came with a peak to give it some dual purpose.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't be too much wrong with lycra, Matthew Lee seems to ride reasonably well
I reckon he'd still do reasonably well if he borrowed my bear suit ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
tommid

Post by tommid »

s8tannorm wrote: 'Two Wheeled Tramp' look.
Brilliant.

I love my baggies and the opportunity to stash food and change in the pockets. I also have a pocket for responsible removal of rubbish from food wrappers etc.
Nick

Post by Nick »

never fancied a multi tool embedded in my thigh!
no neither I, but having soft stuff like food or maps to hand without having to delve into backpacks is a winner for me. Of course if you have a "gas tank" bag or frame bag already then you might not appreciate pockets on shorts, but I do all my riding in baggies and the Endura's are well designed for longer trips as well as messing about in the woods.

I also use a golite rush backpack because it has waist strap pockets which are great for a multitool, compass, tyre lever and phone, again because pulling off the pack is a pain in the arse, I've never understood why almost none of the Camelbaks have waist strap pockets.