More new stuff (and more sleeping bag woes)...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

More new stuff (and more sleeping bag woes)...

Post by Dan_K »

I just can't stop spending at the moment and Ebay is a dangerous thing. Won a bid on some Montane Featherlite Pants over the weekend. They look pretty good and could be nice as an extra layer for warmer trips.
My plan for the WRT is to have the pants and my Montane Fireball as my evening wear (over a pair of lightweight shorts and a base layer. Think it will keep the weight down.

I had another look at my summer sleeping bag over the weekend and realised it's woefully pathetic so will need to be replaced prior to the WRT. Don't want to carry the bulk of my 500 down sleeping bag (1100g) so am looking to replace it with something lighter like a Vango Venom 150. Do people think this will be warm enough for summer trips?
The blurb rates it as 7-25*c with 90/10 600+ fill (grey goose down.)
Comfort 11*c/Limit 7*c/Extreme -7*c
575g total weight excl stuffsack.

Have seen them around the £50-£60 mark. Bargain? Any alternatives before I buy?

Here's my full kit list with weights. Any other recommendations on things that I "need":

Rab Storm Bivvy Bag 550
Alpkit Base 120 Mattress 525
Silnylon Tarp 200
Guy lines 75
Eurohike Down 500 Sleeping Bag 1100
Exped Pillow 75
MSR Pocket Rocket Stove (inc case) 100
125g Gas Canister 210
Lifeventure Ti Mug 75
Blacks Solo Pan Set (lid 90g) 200
Spork 5
Fire Steel 10
Mora Knife 100
Alpkit Gamma Head Torch 105
Alpkit 8L Airlok Dry Bag (Rear) 80
Alpkit 13L Airlok Dry Bag (Front) 100
Aluminium V Peg x 6 (5g each) 30
Leatherman (No case) 200
Multi Tool 150
Peter Storm Thermal Top 190
Peter Storm Thermal Bottoms 180
Montane Fireball Smock 253
Bearbonesnorm

Re: More new stuff (and more sleeping bag woes)...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't really see that you 'need' anything else. There's always places where you can save a bit of weight but I think you're nearing the point of diminishing returns money wise. However, if you were to switch from gas to meths then you could save a fair chunk without much expense (if any).

My Go-lite Adrenaline 1 bag is on ebay at the moment. Rated as 4 degree comfort, 800+ fill power, waterproof head and foot, 700g ... right I'll stop trying to flog it now. The Vango might be alright or it might not, it's difficult to know even in summer. There aren't that many nights in the UK when the temp stays above 11 degrees but once you add clothes into the mix ??

One thing ... no waterproof on your list ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Funnily enough, I saw your sleeping bag on ebay and liked the look of it. A bit more than I want to spend at the minute if i'm honest. I think that if I had disposable cash, i'd opt for a PHD Minim Ultra or maybe an Alpkit PD400 which would be useable for more of the year.

Know what you're saying about meths. I do have a Trangia clone but I just don't like using it. Meths scares me! Gas is more convenient to use so i'd sooner take the hit on weight.

Recommend me a waterproof! I do have a packable Altura one but it's a few years old now. I have a Dare 2 B jacket too but it's a bit heavyweight for summer use.
Normally on the road bike I just wear a showerproof gillet and then air dry.

Does anyone pack a microfibre towel or cloth on multi day trips?
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dan_K wrote:Does anyone pack a microfibre towel or cloth on multi day trips?
i do.

i normally have a river (lake/pond/puddle) wash at the end of the day and it's nice to dry off before the wind takes all that hard earned heat.

they don't weight much and make a nice cover to your clothes pillow bundle too.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I take a small microfibre towel. Even use for drying feet.

I carried this top last summer:

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/craft-per ... 1-908.html

Usual Craft excellence and kept me dry when needed or as an extra layer in the morning and late evening. Packs down really small and fitted in a jersey pocket quite easily along with a Montane Atomic DT w/proof trousers.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Recommend you a waterproof? Why certainly!

I'm running a Montane Minimus that I bought for an Ultra in the Pyrenees in August. It's really rather nice, light, easy to pack, didn't get too boil-in-the-bag, even in warm but windy conditions, kept me nice and dry in the clag on the Pic du Midi, and has remained a go-to bit of kit since. Highly recommend it.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

MSR towel

waterproof, well I like my Mountain Hardwear Quark but they aren't made anymore which is a shame because it's very light.