Bottom Brackets

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Bottom Brackets

Post by Mart »

as I was changing cranks this afternoon, I stuck in a new XT bottom bracket (as I usually do) that I had bought on offer

Was looking at the old one, it's HT2, and it got me thinking. Prised off the top hat and oil seal to get into the bearing but stopped there

What do people do. Buy a new bracket every time or replace the bearings?
Looks like I could have drift them out and press in new ones?

Did wonder if I could swap with some of these ceramic replacement ones from Uber but not much detail on bearing sizes. Although it says they are for the Uber BB, anyone know if these a universal size and if I can just replace them into the Shimano cups

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view- ... t-Bearings

Apologies for the ramble. Mart
2924 miles per Gallon
jam bo

Re: Bottom Brackets

Post by jam bo »

I used to replace the bearings in them but when you can pick them up so cheap there seems little point.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm pretty sure everything except Hope runs the same standard size bearing ... although I could be wrong.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Last time I looked (yonks ago) it wasn't quite that simple. My outcome I remember was to just unscrew old one and replaces with new one - especially when they're on offer.

I have for my sins a bike with press-fit bottom bracket (24mm spindle - so shimano std), that went so I replaced it with a race face one (this was back when press-fit was the brand new kid on the block and so only a couple of manufacturers made them). Apparently I can buy just the bearings for those...
jameso

Post by jameso »

The Shimano bearing is a unique (or at least rare) size, a bit thinner than the bearings you get of the same OD/ID. They're also uniquely useless ime, poorly sealed. Adding some grease can help but I've never managed to get a decent lifespan from them. FSA and Raceface use a more common bearing that can be replaced with a bit of faff but the FSA top hat plastic covers seem to vary fractionally from Shimanos (need to do more swaps between BBs and cranks to say how x-compatible they are, got 2 here to do that, one of my jobs for next week so I know the best options to replace Arkose SS BBs with). Or buy a Praxis Works for £30 that are designed to be replaced with a standard bearing. I've got one, seems good, well sealed an ok so far but only 1000 miles or so generally dry miles on it.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I went through a phase of repairing Shimano bottom brackets, either by cleaning and repack ing with grease or replacing bearings, but they never seemed to last long. The Shimano bearings are thinner than you can buy online, and the top hats don't fit the bearings you can buy. Then switched to uberbike ceramic, and these are fully strip and cleanable, and being ceramic don't rust solid. And they come in different colours, which is possibly more important.

Haven't tried Hopes but people speak well of them.
Mart

Post by Mart »

ah... they are not so universal after all then :(
slarge..... it was your old post about ceramic bearings that got me curious to see if i could just swap over the bearings
Might just have to bite the bullet, and buy the whole thing

in my defence I am Scottish so can't help looking into cheaper options :lol:
2924 miles per Gallon
HUX

Post by HUX »

Raceface x-type cups take a standard bearing that is readily available. They are 7mm deep whereas shimano are 6mm and I don't think you can get those anywhere. Raceface tophats are available at ukbikestore for 99p if you are a bit heavy handed. You can use a 7mm bearing in a shimano cup with a Raceface top hat but you can't refit the rubber seal.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I still struggle to get my head round the wholly unnecessary plethora of BBs available now! My current dilemma is what to replace the knackered SRAM press fit GXP BB with on my crappy plastic frame. As I need to buy a new crankset anyway(165 or shorter), it doesn't need to be GXP comapatible, if there is a better option out there... Any ideas?

Cheers.
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

There are 6mm shimano Compatible ceramic bearings on ebay for£10. Drift ( hammer and screwdriver) the old ones out then use the old bearings to press (hammer) the new ones in. Not used them yet as I fitted 7mm bearings by cutting down the top hat seal.