Long Shot - Adult Trikes?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Long Shot - Adult Trikes?

Post by Ray Young »

Bit of a long shot I know but does anyone know about or could point me in the right direction for adult tricycles. The reason I ask is because I have a disabled friend who is interested in buying one. He is limited to a budget of £400 max. For this price the only trikes we can find are mostly off Amazon but they are heavy, about 48lb. He is prepared to buy second hand but good quality second hand trikes seam to be in short supply. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
FLV

Re: Long Shot - Adult Trikes?

Post by FLV »

Ray Young wrote:Bit of a long shot I know but does anyone know about or could point me in the right direction for adult tricycles. The reason I ask is because I have a disabled friend who is interested in buying one. He is limited to a budget of £400 max. For this price the only trikes we can find are mostly off Amazon but they are heavy, about 48lb. He is prepared to buy second hand but good quality second hand trikes seam to be in short supply. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hmm. I wonder how much a trike could be welded up for.

You know anything about geometry?

I know a frame welder.
I am a designer.
paul78

Post by paul78 »

You could see if Longstaff can aid you source something within budget ...

http://longstaffcycles.com
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

How about a tricycle conversion?

There's one with 700c wheels on ebay atm.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV wrote:

Hmm. I wonder how much a trike could be welded up for.

You know anything about geometry?

I know a frame welder.
I am a designer.
Now this sounds cool.

However I seriously doubt even if you designed FOC, that you can get materials, at least a day cutting+welding, then finishing + paint and then all the wheels, drivetrains etc. For under 400.

As much as I'd like to see it happen.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

My mum rides one! A Pashley. She's had it since I was small enough to ride on a seat built onto the basket over the two back wheels.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

A second hand Pashley would be a good bet... Search 'pashley adult tricycle' on ebay and there's some on there now for less than £400. Most are collect only though...

If your in Edinburgh, Soul Cycles certainly had one, and may know of others... And give the Bike Station a call. :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

thats probably true zippy
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ray, it might be worth getting in contact with Graham and Jackie at Adaptive MTB: http://www.adaptivemtb.co.uk/ I know them and have helped them out in the past on the adaptive side of things. They may be able to help / point you in the right direction, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

People have already mentioned the two names I'd have gone with - both Jez from Longstaff and Graham from Adaptive are mates, both great people, should be able to advise and/or sort you out.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks a lot folks, some good people to contact, just the info we wanted :-bd .
slarge

Post by slarge »

Get in touch with a guy called Ralph Dadswell on Facebook. He has raced trikes and I think holds the record for a tandem trike Pembroke to London ride or something. He's pretty useful, but the opposite end of the other country to you I think (he's South England).
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

My sister has a Pashley trike. I borrowed it once, for a laugh, to go on our 'Gallon Ride' with mates from work, (8 pubs, 8 pints 18 miles). It's a horrible thing - there aren't even any proper bearings in the wheels, just nylon bushes and a Sturmey- Archer 3 speed. Boy was that ever a mistake. Riding a trike is nothing like riding a normal bike. if you get a chance to try one you'll see. And if you really like a laugh, (and lumps), try a penny farthing!

Lu
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Ian

Post by Ian »

I had a short go on one at Bespoked last year - a Longstaff Racing Tricycle, or the Lightweight Barrow - can't recall what Jez called it.

Anyhow, it was a thing of beauty and craftsmanship. The fillets around back of the bike were practically art. It rode amazingly easily too, and lighter than I expected. Turning was weird at first, but you'd get used to it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ray, obviously I don't know the details of your mates disability but if he's able to 'put a foot down' this might possibly be an option. It's a conversion kit that turns any bike into a 3 wheeler, 2 at the front and 1 at the back which usually produces 'better' handling than 2 at the back.

The kits are £200 which should leave enough to source something secondhand as a donor.

http://practicalcycles.com/products/673 ... rsion.aspx
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

s8tannorm wrote:Ray, obviously I don't know the details of your mates disability but if he's able to 'put a foot down' this might possibly be an option. It's a conversion kit that turns any bike into a 3 wheeler, 2 at the front and 1 at the back which usually produces 'better' handling than 2 at the back.

The kits are £200 which should leave enough to source something secondhand as a donor.

That's ace Stu, seeing my mate on Tuesday and we are going to check out all your suggestions.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

s8tannorm wrote:Ray, obviously I don't know the details of your mates disability but if he's able to 'put a foot down' this might possibly be an option. It's a conversion kit that turns any bike into a 3 wheeler, 2 at the front and 1 at the back which usually produces 'better' handling than 2 at the back.

Having ridden my mums pashley trike I would strongly suspect that two wheels at the front would indeed make for a better riding experience. Although if you want to carry a lot of stuff having the wide rear axle does allow you to load up the rear box and carry a weeks shopping!
Zonc

Post by Zonc »

We have some preloved trikes available - with or round about your budget.
give me a bell at work tomorrow

Or landline

If I don't answer Mrs Longstaff will.

Thanks

Zonc
Zonc

Post by Zonc »

Richpips wrote:How about a tricycle conversion?

There's one with 700c wheels on ebay atm.

Bolt on Conversions, although we used make them AND they were well constructed, were always a bolt on 'conversion' so we do not make them any more.

Best to save a wee bit more and get either a Cyclon (this is an in-house Longstaff conversion with the correct angles for trike riding - using a steel donor frame and our custom disc ready axle) or a full custom Longstaff.

Welcome to give us a call ;-)) works are open Tuesday - Saturday

01782 561966
Zonc

Post by Zonc »

slarge wrote:Get in touch with a guy called Ralph Dadswell on Facebook. He has raced trikes and I think holds the record for a tandem trike Pembroke to London ride or something. He's pretty useful, but the opposite end of the other country to you I think (he's South England).

We built Ralph's record breaking trikes ;-))

Zonc/Jez Longstaff
Zonc

Post by Zonc »

Just picked this up - obviously. Just to add info having read ALL the correspondence.

We build trikes for all sorts of people from able bodied nutters (like me) to Paralympic teams and everything inbetween. We also make particular adaptions and between us have personal experience of over 70years of building machines and adaptions for all ability of rider.

I hope this does not come over all commercial - it's not supposed to - please forgive me if it does.

Welcome to phone or call.

Zonc
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Zonc, I am seing my mate on Tuesday so if he is interested we will get in touch. Thanks very much.
Zonc wrote:I hope this does not come over all commercial - it's not supposed to - please forgive me if it does.
Not at all, glad for the input.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

First of all thanks to everyone for their input especially Zonc at Longstaff cycles who gave me some good advice and pointed me in the direction of a couple of bikes.
In the end Andrew bought a Pashley TR1 from ebay and paid £266 for it. The bike is two years old with one lady owner from new. She paid £650 for the bike plus £85 for a fitted basket. It has seven speeds with a sram twistgrip. I live in Edinburgh and had to pick the bike up from Scarborough but as my wife and I had been to London visiting her folks the small diversion on the way back was not a problem.

The bike.
ImageAndrew 003 by youngray50, on Flickr

After removing this little lot (no not the rake and bag of sand) and replacing the huuuuuge saddle it weighs in at a very respectable 35lbs. Much better than the 48lb lumps being sold on Amazon that Andrew had first looked at.
ImageAndrew 004 by youngray50, on Flickr

Andrew on his new iron horse and very happy he is with it too. His only complaint to date is "my arse hurts".
ImageAndrew 002 by youngray50, on Flickr

On one occasion the chain dropped off the front ring so we will need to source a chain guide from somewhere.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Great news. :-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

Great to hear good deeds like this :-bd
His only complaint to date is "my arse hurts"
Think you need to tell him to 'Manup' Ray :wink: