Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

If you were planning on going to Iceland this year

Post by Richpips »

darbeze

Re: If you were planning on going to Iceland this year

Post by darbeze »

As they say, that area has been affected for months... All significant routes (relative term) have been closed in the area highlighted for ages. I can't imagine it would clear any time soon. The major off road route in that area is the F26, which is a fantastic route to travel, but you could also use the F35, which is much further West, that is also a brilliant route. It is also a bit shorter, which may be a bit more achievable for a first attempt by bike, fat or otherwise. There is also the South East coast line, which includes Jokulsarlon (iceberg lake). That has to be worth seeing and camping by for a day or two.

Not sure I would scrap my Iceland trip altogether. It's too good an opportunity to give up on. Just change your plan accordingly.

Well, that's my tuppence worth anyway. I shall be going again as soon as funds allow... Got a big birthday coming up in a couple of years so plenty of time to save... :cool:

Si
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

It's not scrapped, just being re-routed hopefully...
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Correct. After much deliberating, optioneering and general whataboutery; re-routing is the prefered option. But who are you that know's so much about our plans?!

Simon, thanks so much for your comment, very useful indeed. On the blog I claimed that the f35 (Kjölur) route wasn't for us, but having sat down with the maps, I think I might have been too hasty. Certainly it doesn't end anywhere near where we'd like. But the north and central sections, especially between Langjökull and Hofsjökull look very interesting indeed. This could be incorporated into a route starting in Akureyri and finishing way down near Vik. The revised route would have the benefit of bypassing the area currently out of bounds (though the extent of that area has recently been reduced somewhat) while still at least being a North to South coast (though sadly not "furthest"). It also means that should Holurhaun calm down by July, we could resort to Plan A with all of the fights and kit in place to do it!

All of these are cheerful thoughts, and lead to the happy conclusion that one way or another (barring the unforeseeable) we're off to Iceland for a trip this summer.
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

Yay!!
:grin:
I was reading your blog and hoping you would come up with an alternative route.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Catbaiter wrote:But who are you that know's so much about our plans?!

Im going with you...
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

jam bo wrote:
Catbaiter wrote:But who are you that know's so much about our plans?!

Im going with you...
Oh, right. Hi Jim.

This is nearly as weird as that time Bignose did karaoke in the Japanese restaurant in Chamonix.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I'd almost managed to forget that.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Excellent news. I am glad you have had a rethink. Far too good a trip to abandon.

Really pleased you are you adjusting your plans. After all, there is plenty of Iceland to explore.

And of course, if you don't get to do your preferred route this time, it gives you the perfect excuse to go again when the travel restrictions are lifted...

Have a great time.

Si
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone is planning to go to Iceland (or even if you're not).

https://unchainediceland.wordpress.com/
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ah that is a great article. Right so ive got twenty days off in sept! Been thinking about Iceland for awhile, so does anyone fancy doing something similiar. I have the sd card for my garmin already and another route option up north. Probably also on my fatty. Iv already email Geoff of that blog to pick his brains on it!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any idea on the costs involved getting there?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Think my flights were around £250 return with Wow air.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Flew to Iceland for 60 quid return roughly a month ago from Basel with easyjet
Chew

Post by Chew »

Also interested although September isnt great work wise :???:

Looks like ~£200 via EasyJet from Manchester including the bikes
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

UPDATE:

More good news! Holurhaun has stopped erupting. Unfortunately this wont stop gas emissions for a while, but it bodes well for a safer trip in July.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volc ... les/…/2947

For those looking at flights; Sleazy Jet fly also from Bristol to Reykjavik. We're looking at about £200 to £250 per person including hold luggage and a bike in July. If you want to start from the North (Akureyri) then there are buses from Reykjavik (Strætó bus - Route 57) first thing in the morning (9am ish) and in the afternoon (17:30) which take about 7hrs. There's also a left luggage place at Kelfavik airport where you can drop off your bike bag/box for a few Euros per day.

For what it's worth, I'm told that cycling the route from Keflavik airport to Reykjavik is about as much fun as eating wasps; but having not tried it, I can't vouch for that opinion.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Also, for those with a lot of spare time and low expectations of quality, there's a new blog post:

http://icelandicfatfun.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... again.html
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Flights are booked. w00p!!!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Catbaiter wrote:UPDATE:

More good news! Holurhaun has stopped erupting. Unfortunately this wont stop gas emissions for a while, but it bodes well for a safer trip in July.

[...]

For what it's worth, I'm told that cycling the route from Keflavik airport to Reykjavik is about as much fun as eating wasps; but having not tried it, I can't vouch for that opinion.
:-bd

There's a parallel track for lot of the way from Keflavik to Reykjavik. But then the Flybus is really practical. I'd leave the bike packed. Take an accommodation in Reykjavik and deposit the bikebags etc. there. That's how I did it in 2013.

Some good resource for info:
http://www.kriacycles.com/, especially Emil. Should you meet him, regards from Gian.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Just in case anyone makes it this far through the topic, I wrote a review of the Surly Pug Ops fatbike I got for the Iceland trip. It's frikkin' vaguely exciting. Sharks with lasers vaguely exciting.

http://icelandicfatfun.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html