should i tarp or tent?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

should i tarp or tent?

Post by BreninBeener »

I have been feverishly reading the forum and trying to decide quite what to buy for my sleeping arrangements.

I have a lightweight tent, but im not tied to using it. If there is something better then im happy to get it.

I have a couple of great down bags, in different ratings.

So im thinging about tarp or tent conundrum. My tent is an Easton Kilo. Nice and light and 3 season. And as the name suggests, it weighs a kilo with CF poles and tiny pegs. To make it more robust id want to use a footprint, so that increases the weight.

Now a tarp and an event bivi bag and a groundsheet seems to weigh about the same but seem to raise some condensation issues. So what am i gaining with a tarp? They are v popular so im not sure what im missing. Id like some proven formulas to make my time out happy :-)

Thanks

Ian.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: should i tarp or tent?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You don't need to choose one or the other, just pick the one that best suits the conditions for a given trip ... I've been known to kip in a tent from time to time.

If you're under a tarp then an eVent bag is probably overkill, something much lighter will suffice ... bringing the tarp / bivvy set up well below the 1kg mark.

I recall Chew very nicely summed up why he uses a tarp a couple of months back and it had nothing to do with weight or 'performance'. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

You called? :cool:
Chew wrote:Having a bivi setup isnt about any weight saving its more about being connected with your surroundings. Once you're zipped up in your tent you could be anywhere, but if you're out biving its the little things. Waking at 3am to see the stars, or at dawn to see the sunrise before you turn over for a few more hours.

Yes theres probably a bit more hardship at times, but its worth it for those magic moments.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

The issue I'm having with a tent is mounting it somewhere on the bike without any rubbing of the fly (and thus damaging it). I've previously run it through the bar harness but this has left marks on the bag which makes me nervous about the long-term effects on the actual tent inside. Can't stick mine inside something easily as the two carbon rods are a bit of a faff to get in when pitching in high wind.

Just something worth considering.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I've only tarp'd it a few 4-5 times but it offers another overnight experience. Yes being in a tent is great when the weather is pants but if its a dry(ish0 night then a tarp is great. As Chew said, it for those moments that stay in your mind and makes the trip even more worthwhile seeing the sights you may not have seen from the inside of a tent.
I still haven't mastered a decent pitch yet though :oops:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I still haven't mastered a decent pitch yet though
We really are going to have to get a 'sumer camp' sorted out this year :roll: :wink:
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Ok, im loving the connection with my surroundings, so if an eVent bag is overkill, what should i buy? Is and alpkit hunka ok?

if im going to use a lightweight mat, then how should i protect it from the ground?

Ian
Chew

Post by Chew »

BreninBeener wrote:Is and alpkit hunka ok?
You cant go wrong with one for the money
if im going to use a lightweight mat, then how should i protect it from the ground?
I've never bothered and never had any issues. Just spend 2 mins clearing anything pointy.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Chew, can i ask what mat you are using?
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Has anyone ever had any issues with animals (food theft, sleeping with them, etc) under a tarp? I've always been nervous of the idea of having something surprise me in the night.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Chew

Post by Chew »

I have a 3 year old Neoair which has served me well. (over 100 nights and only now has a very slow air leak)

Stu has a similar Exped mat.

Much of a muchness, so just look for a bargain and if you have a preference for horizontal or vertical baffells
Chew

Post by Chew »

danielgroves wrote:Has anyone ever had any issues with animals (food theft, sleeping with them, etc) under a tarp? I've always been nervous of the idea of having something surprise me in the night.
You may get the odd slug, caterpillar.

I have had something have a nibble at some food while in the states, but that was when I was in the tent (bag in the porch)
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Ok fab, thank you.

what will work well as an into to tarps? Poles too?

Ian
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

You can't go too wrong with an alpkit tarp. Either 3.5 or 7 will do it.

For fair weather a non waterproof bivy will be fine with a tarp. Something like the borah gear ones are spot on and under 200g.

A cuben tarp with lines will weigh in at around 135g. A borah cuben bivy 125g. 50g for pegs and 40g for one of stu's poles. That's about 400g for the whole set up. Granted its a pricey set if kit but an example if how light you can go if that's what you want to do
Mike

Post by Mike »

I like both depending on the situation I guess. As for animals iv never had many problems other than a mouse in Scotland eating some rubbish I left out and oh yes a slug!
Whilst bivying with stu for the night before ff I woke in the night thinking I was dribbling a bit?? It turned out once I'd woken that I had a bloody slug on my face by my mouth! This is the first time I've ever had this happen though and it was pretty wrank!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Whilst bivying with stu for the night before ff I woke in the night thinking I was dribbling a bit?? It turned out once I'd woken that I had a bloody slug on my face by my mouth!
And how we (I) laughed :wink:
Is and alpkit hunka ok?
Hunka is fine, not the lightest but tough, waterproof and breathable. I would suggest buying the XL version as that gives you the option of putting your mat inside and a BIG winter bag will also fit.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Ok. Thanks for the advice.

Can i ask why i would want my mat inside my bivi bag?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can i ask why i would want my mat inside my bivi bag?
I thought you were concerned about damaging your mat?
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Ah ok, my only experience of an old style goretex bivi was that it was pretty fragile too, so would also be vulnerable to ground damage.

Im guessing a more modern item may be tougher?
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Chew wrote:I have a 3 year old Neoair which has served me well. (over 100 nights and only now has a very slow air leak)
I had the same problem with my neoair. So I put it in the bath to find hole. Had one small one in the middle, fixed with a patch. But the one by the valve was fixed by the distributor at no cost, and it was out of warrenty. I replaced it a year ago with a multimat ultralite. While much more comfy its not much use in the cold.

Chris
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Im guessing a more modern item may be tougher?
They are pretty tough, although you'll usually be sleeping on grass, forest duff, etc so it shouldn't get a hard time ... also, the bag is much cheaper to replace than a good mat :wink:
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Thanks for your help!

Sorry for the dull questions :-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

The americans seem to worry abour Bears and Wildcats.

In the UK slugs are a massive issue! At least you can hear bear approaching.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Has anyone ever had any issues with animals (food theft, sleeping with them, etc) under a tarp?
I woke up to see a deer grazing 3-4ft away once, managed not to spook it for maybe 10 mins. Chew's point on tarps is spot on :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I woke up to see a deer grazing 3-4ft away once, managed not to spook it for maybe 10 mins. Chew's point on tarps is spot on
I had a similar experience ... awoke around 3am to see Mikes bare arse running round this tarp trying to stop the thing blowing down / away. I tried to startle it for at least 10 minutes but to no avail.