food options+ preferences

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

duncdan

food options+ preferences

Post by duncdan »

Forgive me if this has been covered a thousand times but I have experimented with supermarket noodles/rice packets, wraps with peanut butter, porridge etc and they dont work well for me. I function better without gluten or dairy so I limit my options further.

I have bought dried soy mince which I know is pretty grim stuff, I was planning to add some mixed dried veg and maybe use quinoa?? All very bland but last year the packet food tasted too rich, possibly I took too many electrolytes?

My questions

1 Anyone used soy mince more than once, if so how did you make it palletable?
2 Alternates to porridge for breakfast?
3 what Protein sources will keep for 3 days?

Trans Cambrian Way in May planned for 3 day trip :smile:

thanks

Duncan
Bearbonesnorm

Re: food options+ preferences

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Alternates to porridge for breakfast?
Flapjack.
What Protein sources will keep for 3 days?
Cheese of some description will usualy survive.
Trans Cambrian Way in May planned for 3 day trip
I wouldn't bother carrying much in the way of food, doing it over 3 days you'll never be far from somewhere that's open :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
atk

Post by atk »

duncdan wrote:Forgive me if this has been covered a thousand times but I have experimented with supermarket noodles/rice packets, wraps with peanut butter, porridge etc and they dont work well for me. I function better without gluten or dairy so I limit my options further.

I have bought dried soy mince which I know is pretty grim stuff, I was planning to add some mixed dried veg and maybe use quinoa?? All very bland but last year the packet food tasted too rich, possibly I took too many electrolytes?

My questions

1 Anyone used soy mince more than once, if so how did you make it palletable?
2 Alternates to porridge for breakfast?
3 what Protein sources will keep for 3 days?
You really need to rehydrate the soy mince in something tasty, half a bottle of red usually does the trick if you're making spag bol... Out and about, maybe a stock cube in with the veg and quinoa might help add some flavour to the whole dish but it probably won't taste great...

I don't know if you eat meat or not, if not you can get vegan meat-alternatives that doesn't need to be refrigerated. Wheaty Spacebars or Primal Soy Jerky are relatively high in protein for their weight. Otherwise I suppose real chorizo/smoked sausages/jerky don't need refrigerating either, someone else should probably chime in with options here though!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

You could try Hammer Perpetuem Solids...I carried 2 tubes around on the Fiesta...one for each day. All the Hammer stuff is gluten/dairy free and it won't break the bank in terms of weight and space.

Greetz

S.
Chew

Post by Chew »

duncdan wrote:Alternates to porridge for breakfast?
Same as Stu. Flapjack
what Protein sources will keep for 3 days
Dried/Cured meets

Like Stu says if you're planning on completing it over 3 days you'll be passing through a major town everyday. No need to carry 3 days of food, so i'd just take the usual trail snacks and maybe one bigger meal incase you're running behind schedule or the pubs shut.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Major town? The people of Staylittle, Pontrhydfendigaid and Rhayader won't know what to do with themselves :wink:
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

Thanks peeps, I try to avoid dairy but like yhe jerkey idea and I guess cold meats I can buy as I go. Local shops don't always stock the right kind of food,

Does anyone have a particular food that satisfies after a long day? I often struggle to eat anything, especially if it's dry as I find I don't salivate enough after a full day
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

Ian wrote:Major town? The people of Staylittle, Pontrhydfendigaid and Rhayader won't know what to do with themselves :wink:
:lol:

I do plan on sampling local coisine but I was looking for something other than what's on offer at the spar shop. Small bottle of red is a good idea. Or a big bottle!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I do plan on sampling local coisine but I was looking for something other than what's on offer at the spar shop
As time goes by you'll come to realise that you can't fight the Spar, you have to learn to 'work with it'. After a number of years you'll just stop working with it and come to love and cherish the very existence of these glowng beacons of calorific goodness :ugeek:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I have similar dietary issues and make my own dehydrated meals. Lentil curry (daal), beef chilli and chicken jalfrezi all rehydrate well. Although you'll need to chop things smaller than usual. I make them with much more butter than usual but otherwise the same.

When its ready just spread it evenly in shallow baking trays. Put it in a fan oven at 50c for 5 or 6 hours and it will be totally dry. I weigh it in the tray before and after. That tells you how much water it will need to rehydrate it. Then portion it up in to ziplock freezer bags. I usually freeze it too just to be on the safe side.

Just add boiling water and keep it warm in a cozy or pocket or hat for 10 minutes and you have some proper home cooked food
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

*Disclaimer* Not wanting to have a dig here... :wink:

I don't want to tell you what's good for you and what isn't but are you sure Gluten isn't good for you? Program on the telly the other night said only about 1% of the population are Gluten intolerant and for most people the gluten free alternatives are less healthy and the push for gluten free is misguided at best.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

s8tannorm wrote:
I do plan on sampling local coisine but I was looking for something other than what's on offer at the spar shop
As time goes by you'll come to realise that you can't fight the Spar, you have to learn to 'work with it'. After a number of years you'll just stop working with it and come to love and cherish the very existence of these glowng beacons of calorific goodness :ugeek:
Climbing into my bivibag in the wind farm with a stone cold pie from Carno Spar with hail coming at me from all directions was one of those moments. :lol:
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

Obviously my inexperience is the source of my questions but after going to the consultant and having tubes inserted they dismissed me with a leaflet about ibs. That's the short story.

Some personal preferences would be a good start for more ideas though. The dried curries look like a option, if more time consuming than what I had planned
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Protein options -
Jerky
Salami or chorizo (try mini elk salamis from ikea)
Tuna sachets (usually flavoured)

I find the TVP/soy mince ok if mixed up in a homemade cous cous meal, don't really notice it (in a good way)

I usually have porridge for breakfast on my trips but didn't last time out, had trail mix and snack bars. Flapjack is my favourite food for any trip, especially homemade ones that are heavy on the peanuts, works well for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacking. The only downside is it's quite heavy in substantial quantities!
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

Thanks for the ideas

Interesting recurring flapjack theme! Nuts work well for me. The hammer stuff reads well but can you spend a day on it?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I spent 2 weeks on the Perpetuem Solids (caffe latte flavour) last year...until I couldn't deal with the texture and cost anymore. Kept me going ok, but it was more of a stop-gap until I could get proper food. For a 3-day affair, you'd be fine.

Greetz

S.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

ianfitz wrote:I have similar dietary issues and make my own dehydrated meals. Lentil curry (daal), beef chilli and chicken jalfrezi all rehydrate well. Although you'll need to chop things smaller than usual. I make them with much more butter than usual but otherwise the same.

When its ready just spread it evenly in shallow baking trays. Put it in a fan oven at 50c for 5 or 6 hours and it will be totally dry. I weigh it in the tray before and after. That tells you how much water it will need to rehydrate it. Then portion it up in to ziplock freezer bags. I usually freeze it too just to be on the safe side.

Just add boiling water and keep it warm in a cozy or pocket or hat for 10 minutes and you have some proper home cooked food
Im not a food expert, but would this method be ok for with non vegetarian meals? Has anyone tried it? It sounds great for preparing food for trips.

Does anyone have any experience with freeze drying?

Can you do it at home?
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

This idea got me thinking about baked beans and a load of other things, but it's not freeze drying as that uses a vacuum to dry the food. Could b a tricky diy! I would stick to veg, meat needs salt to keep regardless of moisture due to the nastys that can grow on it.
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

Cass Gilbert posted today. Have to say dehydrating veg interests me and IanF´s methods

https://www.facebook.com/whileoutriding ... 31/?type=1
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

If pop my dehydrated stuff in the freezer to keep for longer times as tend to make it in bulk. I use mince beef or finely chopped chicken mainly to ensure it rehydrates easily.

I've eaten those meals with no ill effects to trust them ;-)
psling

Post by psling »

Maybe not to everyones dietry tolerances but I make up individual measures of recovery powder/drink for each day; just add water in a drinks bottle and shake. Current fave is Chocolate Rego. It re-hydrates, is protein rich and takes the edge off my hunger, so my desire for steak and chips is lessened and I can then manage with more of a snack than a meal in camp :smile:
Breakfast I like granola/muesli mix I make up myself (I have a nut allergy). My luxury is to carry real milk.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

My luxury is to carry real milk.
This is not a luxury. It's simply what separates us higher beings from the savages :lol:
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

A friend put me on to this

http://www.fitnessblender.com/blog/all- ... nergy-bars

They are pretty good but not sure how they travel.

Does anyone try to measure their macrobiotic s? Ie do u plan on 80% carbon 20% protein 20% fat??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I take a pretty unscientific approach to food and eating while riding. I don't tend to eat that much while riding (which is actually quite handy), so even on an overnight a few lumps of homemade flapjack and a cold bacon butty usually suffice. If there's a shop along the way then I'll pick up a milkshake and if there's a cafe I'll take advantage of it.

I don't use any supplements, powders or potions because let's be honest, 99% of the time there really isn't any need :wink:
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

Wow that doesn't sound like much.

Personal preferences and experience are far more valuable than reading the sales pitch from a supplement provider