Sleeping bag stuff sacks?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Sleeping bag stuff sacks?

Post by Dan_K »

Do people generally bother carrying a stuff sack if their sleeping bags are going inside a dry bag?
touch

Re: Sleeping bag stuff sacks?

Post by touch »

I do.
The stuff sack has compression straps which packs it up tighter and makes it easier to fit in with other stuff.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Good grief no, think of the weight :D

If the inside of the drybag is nice and slippy, a down bag will stuff tightly enough that a compression strap isn't going to do any more anyway. Plus, unless your drybag is an exact fit over the stuff-sac there is going to be unsightly flappy fabric going on.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I guess if you save lots of little grams they all add up into big grams eventually.....

Compression is an issue though, although I guess if I have room to let the bag breath a bit, it'll loft better.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Mine goes into a Sea to Summit 5l eVent Dry bag.

Waterproof and you can squish the air out
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

My sleeping bag is one thing I'll always keep in a stuff sack. It lofts so well that it'd be a pain to try & pack it with other kit in the same bag if it were loose. Decent down bags are also really expensive & I'd be wary of damaging mine (I can be a bit ham-fisted at the best of times). Admitting I'm a bit of a jesse here, but I just bought one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... 00_details

It's a stuff/dry bag with a valve, which can also rather conveniently be inflated and used as a pillow for those occasions when I don't have enough spare clothes to stuff into a regular stuff sack. It weighs 70g, which isn't too bad for a dual purpose item, and I really like my pillow at night time! :lol:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've got an Exped "pillow" that weighs 75g so that stuff sack seems pretty good.
I own several different pillows but have never been able to find anything that is as good as the real thing.

The Exped is probably the best one i've come across but it is so light that it moves about a fair bit. I think i'll have a go at putting a loop through the hoops on it and around the bottom of my mat next time.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Choose the stuff bag varefully and it'll double as your pillow, and weigh about 2oz
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I put mine in a stuff bag to keep it clean etc but I can squeeze in a silk liner and a pair of M&S's finest as well. This go's in a Sea-to-Summit eVent bag to ensure I keep the bag dry.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Any other stuff sacks recommended, I seem to have ripped the straps off every one I've used before
The old git in the yellow socks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any other stuff sacks recommended
How about a nice Ook works cuben crisp packet (their name not mine)? ... custom sizes, drawcord or roll-top and weigh nowt.

http://oookworks.com/crisp_packets.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
Nick

Post by Nick »

I just rolled my sleeping bag up inside my bivvy bag which went in a dry bag on my bars, means quick and easy setup and pack up, would be even better if I could get my sleeping mat in too but it's just a bit wide.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Nick wrote:I just rolled my sleeping bag up inside my bivvy bag which went in a dry bag on my bars, means quick and easy setup and pack up, would be even better if I could get my sleeping mat in too but it's just a bit wide.
that's exactly what i as hoping to do but i'll need something a little bigger than the (Alpkit) 8L dry bag i've got now if it's gonna happen.
Nick

Post by Nick »

It's a 13ltr Alpkit one that I use.
gairym

Post by gairym »

if it's not a hassle - what's the (sealed/folded-up) length on that one???
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

gairym wrote:if it's not a hassle - what's the (sealed/folded-up) length on that one???
I happen to have a 13L Alpkit bag (and a tape measure!) on my very messy desk. Approx length with closure folded 3 times is 40cm.
gairym

Post by gairym »

pedalhead wrote:I happen to have a 13L Alpkit bag (and a tape measure!) on my very messy desk. Approx length with closure folded 3 times is 40cm.
very efficient and helpful!

cheers.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I prefer to keep my sleeping bag packed away from anything that may be damp or dirty. Tarp, bivvybag, waterproofs are all stored somewhere seperate from sleeping bag/clothes.
gairym

Post by gairym »

how about inside the 8l dry bag inside the bivi bag inside the 13l dry bag???