budget sleeping bag - the sequel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tea-face

budget sleeping bag - the sequel

Post by tea-face »

OK. I’m really hungry for some bikepacking escapism, to allow me to do some long distance trips/adventures this year (will be the warmer months, looks like I have the chance to do something in May, shorter trips will be done from April time.).

The thing I’ve been looking at the most is sleeping bags (all my old ones are for car camping). I would like a sleeping bag with small pack size (suitable for BP’ing), and don’t want to spend much because I’m skint. It looks like I will be getting synthetic due to my low cost requirements and ease of care, but I’ve included some down bags for comparison.

I think I am a warm sleeper, but I know I don’t like being cold :)

I will be coupling the bag with an alpkit hunka at first, and would eventually go for a tarp if weather is questionable.

Budget Synthetic:
I understand that these bags are nearly twice the weight of a down equivalent, but how does the packsize compare, would it be suitable? I think I would prefer smaller size over weight...something has to give.

Snugpak Softie Chrysalis Tera / Snugpak Elite 2 - £43 delivered
comfort: +2oC, extreme: -3oC
1300g (inc. compression stuff sack).
18 x 19cm Packsize (Fully Compressed)

Snugpak Softie Chrysalis Autumn / Snugpak Elite 3 - £65 delivered
comfort: -5oC, extreme: -10oC
1600g (inc. compression stuff sack).
19 x 21cm Packsize (Fully Compressed) – (could I get this into a 7lts dry bag? Lomo style?)

‘Only’ 300g heavier, but much more warmth. or would I be better to get the lighter bag, but add a silk liner for the extra warmth with minial packsize (I have no experience of using them) – this just seems like false economy as silk liner + elite 2 = cost of Elite 3

Budget Down Bags:

Vango Venom 300 - £80
- I saw that gairym mentioned the Venom 300 for £69, any clues or linky as to where from?

880g (with stuff sack)
“Optimum” temperature +4°c, Extremes -12°c
25 x ø16cm / 5 litres – uncompressed – would seem to be similar volume to the snugpak compressed – but probably a more manageable shape?
Filling 1 x 180g top / 1 x 120g base g/m²
90/10 600+ fill power grey goose down excellent quality providing maximum loft, warmth, performance and durability

Rab Atlas Explorer 350 - £79 – as in the bargain thread
850g
Comfort Temperature Limit 7°C
Filled with superior quality European duck down fill power 560+ EU - I have not researched into this.
Plus I can’t find any info on pack size anywhere!!! – doesn’t seem to be much info on this bag...

Guidance, Advice, Ecouragement required please! Thanks.
gairym

Re: budget sleeping bag - the sequel

Post by gairym »

here you go:

http://www.outdoorgear4u.co.uk/category ... g-2011.php

as i've said elsewhere - so far i'm really impressed with this bag!

and.....if anything mine packs a little smaller than stated.
tea-face

Post by tea-face »

gairym, you're a legend!

Been looking at this again this morning and the Vango is pretty much half the weight of the synthetics, and probably just as suitable. It's looking more and more tempting. But before I jump in a buy, can some one confirm that the vango has better down fill than the Rab please? I'm not really on top of all the terminology of it all.

Thanks all
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The Rab has 350g of 560+ EU fill down.
The Vango has 300g of 600 fill (as it's not stated we'll assume its US 600)

If the assumption that the Vango is measured on the US scale is correct, they both have roughly the same qaulity of down, but the Rab has 50g more of it so should be slightly warmer.

Personally, I would go for the Rab as the extra down will help, 300g of 600 fill down isn't going to be 'that' warm.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Go for Down and just don't get it wet. Unless your doing multi, multi, multi days then I can't see why you would get your bag wet?? (At no point will sleeping in a wet sleeping bag be nice so it makes the argument pointless for me anyway)

I'd extend your budget wait a little while and get a PipeDream 400

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=286

May be a little bit more money but it's a proper bit of kit
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I took a punt on a Eurohike 500 down bag from Millets which was "apparently" RRP'd at £120. Got it for £40ish in their sale.
No idea on actual down quality as it came with no specs but is to EN*blah*blah* and rated into minus figures so it might have been worth a gamble.
Haven't used it out side yet but have slept in it a couple of times indoors (in-laws staying or in the dog house etc), the latest being on Saturday night where I woke up very sweaty.

I'll report back when I use it outside (if I live).

I'd be interested to see if anyone can find the specs and let me know how it compares to other brands.
tea-face

Post by tea-face »

Anthony, that makes total sense, thanks. Just been reading more into the different ratings, it starting to become clearer.

Fantasticmrmatt, I would'nt mind the wait and would love a "proper bit of kit", but I really can't stretch the funds to it at this time. Thanks for the suggestion and thoughts though; what you say about getting the bag wet is true... just dont do it :)

Had a look Dan but no info immediate info came up.

cheers dudes.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Just bought a marmot never winter at Cotswold. Reduced from £160 to £89, not as light as the one I was after but at 2 lb its no heavy weight and at that price a steal.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Anthony wrote:The Rab has 350g of 560+ EU fill down.
The Vango has 300g of 600 fill (as it's not stated we'll assume its US 600)
just FYI (as i was interested because i have the Vango bag) i emailed Vango to check whether they EU or US rated down - here's their response:
VANGO wrote:Hi, Gairy.

Thanks for your mail.

Our sleeping bags meet, and are made in accordance with all the EU regulations for the manufacture, distribution and retail sale of sleeping bags.

I hope this is of use.

Regards

Andrew Mooney

Customer Service
but.....given the choice (if money wasn't a factor - as £69 was still a little over my initial sleeping-bag budget) i'd opt for the Rab bag too.

gairy.
tea-face

Post by tea-face »

Cheers gairym, I will get back and let you know how I get on...