Jockey wheels for life

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mat_swan

Jockey wheels for life

Post by mat_swan »

...or as close as you can manage.

After years of the bushes in the standard plastic ones wearing out and not having much luck with the bearings seizing in the cheaper bearing ones, I thought I'd test some posher jockey wheels for life span. I went for the mt zoom speed wheels (http://mtzoom.com/jockey-wheels/speed-wheels/) on the theory that the big holes should let mud fall away, thus extending life.

That was back in January. After a fairly high mileage year, and me thinking 'those are looking a bit thin' for a while, this is what happened on yesterdays ride-

In the meantime they've been flawless, in that i have paid them no notice whatsoever save for thebodd spin check and noting that yhey certainly do run cleaner and trap less mud than most. The bearings are still perfect (opened them up to check a little while back) and the wheels themselves kept working fine to the moment of failure. Surprisingly, I didnt notice that had happened until I cleaned the bike so they failed gracefully.

To give a comparison, on a similar year I would have expected plastic bushed wheels to be nearly round and for the bush to have worn the hole it sits in some 50% bigger.

To conclude the trial, would i buy them again? At that price, no, I wouldn't. I have however changed my mind on the worth of putting decent bearings in your jockey wheels- it certainly seems to keep them running smoothly for much longer.

So, any recommendations for jockey wheels that last a long time at the hub and the teeth? What I'd really like is the same as these, but made in steel!
mat_swan

Re: Jockey wheels for life

Post by mat_swan »

Ok, trying the photo again

Mt zoom speed wheels by MatGoesSomewhere, on Flickr
Ian

Post by Ian »

Have you considered singlespeed....?

:wink:
touch

Post by touch »

I've had problems with similar shaped jockey wheels. Mine were the cheap chinese kind though.
I dont know how, but I bent it. Must have hit it off a rock or something but I would have thought the cage spring would have provided a bit of shock absorbtion?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I've always found that Shimano jockey wheels last for ages, but SRAM seem to be made of cheese. The ones on my x9 went to ninja stars in about two months of spring earlier this year whereas XT seem to last a couple of years.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Ian wrote:Have you considered singlespeed....?

:wink:
The singlespeed is mechanically ill-disposed at present!