Ford Fiesta newbie...will i die?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

Ford Fiesta newbie...will i die?

Post by BreninBeener »

Hi all,
Im seriously considering the FF. Im not sure if I can get the time off work yet, but my big prob is my lack of kit. I wont have a bivvy bag , but will have a small tent and a down bag and jkt etc. Should i wait until ive had some solo trips, or immerse myself in the deep end?

Ian
Scattamah

Re: Ford Fiesta newbie...will i die?

Post by Scattamah »

I doubt you'll die. I'm running with a tent, down bag and thermarest, so you're not alone in that category.

I would say at the very worst, you might get a little lost (GPS is useful here)...a little hungry (carry some food)...a little wet (rain jacket and dry socks for the night time). Carry the tools to fix your bike if need be and whatever spares you feel you'll need.

With practice, you'll figure out what you need to pack/where to pack it and what is superfluous.

Oh - and pack your sense of humour. That's important.

Greetz

S.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

El-an back was my first outing. I'm still alive! :-bd
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

My first overnighter was spar and back last year. 'Twas great, I learnt a lot (mainly, don't bivi by the side of lyn clywedog, it's quite cold, unsurprisingly!), I've done about half a dozen bivis since none as good as the first one.

Make do with what you've got, as long as you have something to sleep in, on and under and you will be fine. Plan a sensible route and if it gets that bad head back to the car.

Enjoy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wont have a bivvy bag , but will have a small tent and a down bag and jkt etc.
Sounds like you've got everything you need. If you have a tent then no need for a bivvy bag ... it's generally an either / or. Quite a few folk favour tents of some sort in Winter, so don't assume having a tent is somehow 'wrong' ... selecting the best gear for the conditions is part of the game.

Just follow what everyone else has said up there ^ and you'll be fine.
May the bridges you burn light your way