How do you chose your carry system?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

How do you chose your carry system?

Post by BreninBeener »

Im really new to bikepacking. I have lots of kit from backpacking, but im unsure of how to choose a harness. I am struggling to see any useful differences between different manufacturers products.

At the moment it seems that i have to buy one, decide what i do and dont like, then buy something else or adapt at some length.

Id really like some comparative reviews or advice if anyone can be prescriptive and tell me what i really need.

Ian
Lmorgan87

Re: How do you chose your carry system?

Post by Lmorgan87 »

Not so much comparative but loads of guys on here including myself use wildcat gear.

My experience with their bar and saddle harnesses has been great and you get the back-up of a UK manufacturer.

I once emailed Beth at Wildcat at 10.30 on a Sunday night and had a reply 10 minutes later!! Now that's service.
Always do the right thing... Just because it's the right thing to do.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Just strap a dry bag to your bars to begin with. I used that system for a year, and then only bought a bar harness second hand from someone on here. It's easy to get caught up in buying lots of new gear when you take up a new hobby/sport, but you really don't have to.

The bar harness I got is an early Revelate bar harness, which is incredibly simple, and only one step up from strapping the bag directly to your bars. I have now invested in a Wildcat Tiger seat pack, as I needed more capacity, and I didn't want it all in a ruscksack. Saying that, I always ride with a rucksack anyway... Usually stuffed with food!

Strap your sleeping bag and mat to your bars and shove everything else in your rucksack and enjoy yourself. Experience will guide your equipment choices as you do more rides...

Si
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Or just make your own, much cheaper and very easy.

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =13&t=4643
barney

Post by barney »

agree with the strap a dry bag to your bars to start with.

Try alpkit.com for some excellent cheap dry bags with built in straps
Wait for me...
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Thanks guys!