Christmas presents - want vs getting

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

polarcherry

Christmas presents - want vs getting

Post by polarcherry »

As its that time of year.

What kit are you getting this Christmas?

Or if your not getting your dream bikepacking kit,

What would you like this Christmas?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Christmas presents - want vs getting

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Want nowt, so that's likely what I'll receive.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm getting bugger all so I've bought myself a new back wheel and one of them new (cheaper) gopro hero thingies!

Being on next years movie comp!
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

MLD cricket tent is tucked under the tree for me :0)

Hoping it will be a good compromise between tarp and tent, as I def. prefer my tent in general.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Getting 1 litre platypus bladder, size and shape will fit perfectly in my frame mount bladder bag which my 2 litre does not. Being a skinflint I would never spend £15 on it myself. Cheap 1 litre ones are the wrong shape. :grin: .
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I don't get this idea of buying stuff for yourself, and putting it under a tree and pretending to give it to yourself?

I don't celebrate Christmas at all, no I'm not "bah humbug", I'm just not a hypocrite. My understanding of the giving of presents was that it was about giving to others, but now you all seem to be giving to yourselves? It just makes no sense. :YMSICK:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Would like: Egg Beater 11's; Daves Speed Dream Wheels (ArchEx rims); Montane Minimus Smock.
May get: Told that the stuff I have already is good enough and to find a street corner if I want the above.

Greetz

S.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

mountainbaker wrote:I don't get this idea of buying stuff for yourself, and putting it under a tree and pretending to give it to yourself?

I don't celebrate Christmas at all, no I'm not "bah humbug", I'm just not a hypocrite. My understanding of the giving of presents was that it was about giving to others, but now you all seem to be giving to yourselves? It just makes no sense. :YMSICK:
When I had my Saturday job in the LBS a lad I knew from school came in to buy himself a bike helmet for his birthday with money his mum gave him. As it was a birthday pressie he couldn't have it until the big day so he rode off with his boxed helmet under his arm......oh the irony.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

If the wife knew about how much stuff really costs, she'd never agree to it.
Hence the gift buying for yourself. :wink:
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping a nice yellow 29+ frameset and rims will turn up by xmas. :wink:
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
gairym

Post by gairym »

mountainbaker wrote:I don't get this idea of buying stuff for yourself, and putting it under a tree and pretending to give it to yourself?

I love the original (pagan) christmas (Yuletide) idea.

Getting the family/community together during the coldest, darkest time of the year and making something nice to eat from that little something special that you've been saving.

Maybe even giving little gifts (most likely made by the giver for the receiver) - what a lovely idea!

But.....Christmas® has absolutely nothing to do with any of the above values or sentiments (insert anti-consumerism anti-corporate diatribe here).

So I just make something nice for the kids out of wood, cook some tasty food and use the whole inane period as an opportunity for a few choice personal purchases to slip by undetected. :-bd
Last edited by gairym on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'm not religious but enjoy Christmas as a time to get the family together, have a break from work, indulge in good food and give/receive a few gifts.

For me it has nothing to do with the bible but I think people have the freedom to make of it what they like. I don't go to church, I don't sing carols, I give non-religious cards to people to let them know i'm thinking of them. Doesn't make me a hypocrite as I don't celebrate "the birth of Christ". I celebrate having a break from work and spending time with loved ones.

In terms of gifts, i've got no idea. I bought a few bits that I wanted in the sales (new lid, 661 jersey) because they were cheap and I had my eye on them for a while. My family's pretty big so we'll get something for my 3 nieces & nephew but are just doing "Secret Santa" amongst the adults. I'd like a new saddlebag (Ortleib M drybag saddlebag) so will hopefully get that. Have no idea what the other half will get me but that's part of the fun......
Matt

Post by Matt »

.....meanwhile over on STW there is a bikepacking thread...
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Fantasticmrmatt wrote:.....meanwhile over on STW there is a bikepacking thread...
Next you'll be saying that people over there actually ride their bikes.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

VeganGraham wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping a nice yellow 29+ frameset and rims will turn up by xmas. :wink:
More chance of finding Santa is real. :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

johnnystorm wrote:
What..... exactly....are.... you ..... saying ? :???:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

FLV wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:
Nuffink. Honest. :lol:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:
Call yourself an engineer! Do the maths, I'll give you the starting point that you should find out the number of children required to be visited by Santa, the hours available to do this, and therefore the load capacity and performance requirements for the sleigh and reindeer in order to facilitate this :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Zippy wrote:
FLV wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:
Call yourself an engineer! Do the maths, I'll give you the starting point that you should find out the number of children required to be visited by Santa, the hours available to do this, and therefore the load capacity and performance requirements for the sleigh and reindeer in order to facilitate this :lol:
I was an F1 engineer for years, those performance goals have been set to me before.....

(I didnt achieve them either)
barney

Post by barney »

want...

a new bike
a frame bag
a cheapo go pro

getting...

a new bike
a frame bag
a cheapo go pro

:-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

ok so i've bought all of them myself but i was "officially given permission" first so technically that's the same as a present ! :wink:
Wait for me...
jameso

Post by jameso »

I love the original (pagan) christmas (Yuletide) idea.

Getting the family/community together during the coldest, darkest time of the year and making something nice to eat from that little something special that you've been saving.

Maybe even giving little gifts (most likely made by the giver for the receiver) - what a lovely idea!

But.....Christmas® has absolutely nothing to do with any of the above values or sentiments (insert anti-consumerism anti-corporate diatribe here).

So I just make something nice for the kids out of wood, cook some tasty food and use the whole inane period as an opportunity for a few choice personal purchases to slip by undetected.
Nice one Gairy. A chap I worked with/for used to make gifts for his (many) children, I though that was great. He 'got it' completely. I imagine there were ipads or whatever in there too but there's a nice message in the home-made gifts. I love the idea of it all but the consumerism side has become ridiculous, amusing to see the fighting over 50" tellys last Friday but also makes me gag a bit.

So of course I bought myself a Rab jacket from the Outdoor Shop's latest Black Tuesday Afternoon offer : ) and sent a few hints to the family as requested, Cordillera V6, Repack book, something warm, that sort of thing. Actually looking forward to seeing everyone and hoping I can take my bike home over xmas to see some old riding friends and get a bit drunk and ride singlespeeds in the mud on boxing day more than anything else..
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

No idea what I'm getting from the wifey but she's got an Atlas (she loves maps), fashion boots (she's already wearing them!) and a book of baby photos (our daughter I'll hasten add). All nice and simple stuff really.

Only thing I've asked for are some pogies to keep me hands warm :grin:

Never bought my own Christmas present but do get money on my birthday to treat myself afterwards, not sure if that's the same as buying your own present and waiting until said occasion to use it?
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

My sister sends out her amazon wish-list to family and friends in early November. Seriously, f*** o**.

Nice food, nice booze, a crisp cold walk to the pub, back to light the fire and talk sub standard with friends/family. This year it's all friends here for the day (family all away :-bd ), and it's much better that way, no expectations, no historical issues to raise their ugly heads. Can't wait.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

The Mrs will be getting a few good bikepacking books. I'm sure she will appreciate them, but if not, never mind...
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

The LOML has kindly bought me a Ghillie Kettle for me christmas. We are both looking forward to testing it out on christmas morning. I hope the weather is terrible! :-bd